Adoption

Adoption Shower?

Not sure if that is the name for it, but looking for ideas. Open to all opinions. The kids to be adopted are toddlers. There so many ways to go or not go with this. Some lingering thoughts: Is this a family event so make it more age appropriate for the kids to enjoy? Is it a gift registry gift giving event?

Re: Adoption Shower?

• Are you planning a shower for a friend? My friends are having a shower for me before we get a baby, probably just women, casual afternoon event. After we get the baby, our family is having a big shower.
    Domestic Adoption-Activated January 29th, 2013. Trying to be patient. The journey: http://perpetuallyupsidedown.tumblr.com/
  • imagekfourcat:
    Are you planning a shower for a friend? My friends are having a shower for me before we get a baby, probably just women, casual afternoon event. After we get the baby, our family is having a big shower.

Yes for a friend. This journey has been very hard, but she finally almost there. It is a little tricky for me to manage due to the age to the kids to adopted, and I know she has the same concern.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm...I think you could go either way with it.  You could make it like a traditional shower - female relatives and friends invited.  Or you could make it a bit non-traditional and make a family/friend celebration including children.

I don't see why they couldn't register for the things they need for the children.

Have you asked your friend what she would prefer?  I would ask if she would like a shower before or after the children arrive at their home as well.  It was important to us to wait until after TPR (termination of parental rights) was signed - that happened 30 days after DD came home with us.

I think it's great that you 're throwing her a shower!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageArt Teacher:
    Hmm...I think you could go either way with it.nbsp; You could make it like a traditional shower female relatives and friends invited.nbsp; Or you could make it a bit nontraditional and make a family/friend celebration including children.
    I don't see why they couldn't register for the things they need for the children.
    Have you asked your friend what she would prefer?nbsp; I would ask if she would like a shower before or after the children arrive at their home as well.nbsp; It was important to us to wait until after TPR termination of parental rights was signed that happened 30 days after DD came home with us.
    I think it's great that you 're throwing her a shower!

Thank you for the feedback. They are already fostering the children and we are all awaiting the TPR being signed as it was granted a little while ago.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Since they've been fostering the children, I think a family shower/party would be really nice.  I would probably still ask your friend if she intends to register.  I do think it's easier sometimes - that way her guests will know what she still needs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJontue:
    Not sure if that is the name for it, but looking for ideas. Open to all opinions. The kids to be adopted are toddlers. There so many ways to go or not go with this. Some lingering thoughts: Is this a family event so make it more age appropriate for the kids to enjoy? Is it a gift registry gift giving event?

Just make it a traditional or the usual baby shower event. You can invite the closest friends and families of your friend. Have a good theme for it, pick delicious and healthy foods, prepare games and yes, don't forget to have a gift giving of course for the soon to be Mom!

Soon... My Blog: DressandBaby
  • imagemarshmallowevening:
    That's really kind of you to throw the shower! I agree about asking your friend what they would prefer. I'm sure everyone would like to celebrate with the kids there, if it wouldn't be too stressful on the kids If they've been placed with her awhile, it might not be. I think it would be fine either way, if she registered or if people just brought age appropriate gifts IMO registering is easier it can be hard to keep up with what kids are "into", but maybe that's just me..

Thank you.
  • imageforevercoleen:

imageJontue:

Just make it a traditional or the usual baby shower event. You can invite the closest friends and families of your friend. Have a good theme for it, pick delicious and healthy foods, prepare games and yes, don't forget to have a gift giving of course for the soon to be Mom!

Thank you. Sounds good.
  • we adopted my son from Korea when he was 21 months (so it was also a toddler adoption)

for us, it was a little bit different since we weren't fostering him before. Hes our first child, so we did need a lot of "kid" stuff. we registered for a high chair, stroller, toddler utensils, bedding, car seats, potty seat, humidifier, "toiletries" like shampoo, soap, etc. And also clothes and toys.

We had a "Welcome home" party when he was home for about a month.(my mom started planning it once we got the call that we could go to Korea to bring him home). it was just a casual, small thing at my sisters house. We brought our son with us to the party so people could meet him... but DH was ready to leave with him if he got too overwhelmed or whatever. He did fine, and it was really neat that people could meet him.

Since she has been fostering these kids already, I'm guessing she probably already has all the "Gear" she needs. so this might be more of like a celebration that its final rather than a "shower". People will probably just bring toys or clothes or things like that as gifts for the kids. So she could register or do a "wish list" so that people know what kind of things the kids are into...

• imagemiss1180:
    we adopted my son from Korea when he was 21 months so it was also a toddler adoptionnbsp; for us, it was a little bit different since we weren't fostering him before. Hes our first child, so we did need a lot of "kid" stuff. we registered for a high chair, stroller, toddler utensils, bedding, car seats, potty seat, humidifier, "toiletries" like shampoo, soap, etc. And also clothes and toys.nbsp; We had a "Welcome home" party when he was home for about a month.my mom started planning it once we got the call that we could go to Korea to bring him home. it was just a casual, small thing at my sisters house. We brought our son with us to the party so people could meet him... but DH was ready to leave with him if he got too overwhelmed or whatever. He did fine, and it was really neat that people could meet him.nbsp; Since she has been fostering these kids already, I'm guessing she probably already has all the "Gear" she needs. so this might be more of like a celebration that its final rather than a "shower". People will probably just bring toys or clothes or things like that as gifts for the kids. So she could register or do a "wish list" so that people know what kind of things the kids are into...

Thank you for the feedback
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"