Pre-School and Daycare

Terrible case of the Gimmies.

We've got a bad case in our house.  My 4 year old suddenly wants everything and pitches huge fits that we don't "ever get him anything!!!!" 

I knew this stage was coming, but wow, dramatic stage it is.  We explain you can't always get what you want, remind him of what we got him last time and empathize that it's tough not being able to get everything, but it falls on deaf ears.

Fun times.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Terrible case of the Gimmies.

• I haaaaaate the gimmies. DS is going through this and it seriously sucks. I'd been really smug about him not bugging us to buy him stuff, but the gimmies struck a month or so ago with a vengeance.

I blame Christmas Stick out tongue

• imagestever:

I haaaaaate the gimmies. DS is going through this and it seriously sucks. I'd been really smug about him not bugging us to buy him stuff, but the gimmies struck a month or so ago with a vengeance.

I blame Christmas Stick out tongue

LOL  I remind him of all of the stuff he got just 2 months ago and it's like I'm speaking French.

• Loading the player...
  • OMG! You must be at my house.    If she gets a lolly pop then she wants another and tells me "1 isnt many, i never get two, I want two......". Or  "I NEED another stuffie".  I need work to work on this with her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, man! I thought you were paging me or something. Sad The gimmies make me batty, so I can relate.

What happened to your old log in? You've lost a huge post count.

• imagegimmietimmies:

Oh, man! I thought you were paging me or something. Sad The gimmies make me batty, so I can relate.

LOL I do love your name. I got banned for 30 years for posting about a free giveaway on my food blog.  :(
  • We went through this and sometimes still do. I started giving DD an allowance to earn money.  She had to feed the dogs daily and sleep in & stay in her bed all night w/o fits.  It worked really well, limited the 'gimmie talk' and I allowed her to cash in her allowance after one month and buy something she's been asking for. The only negative to the reward system is she really doesn't understand the value of money. For example, she has been asking to return to DW and will offer to pay her own flight with $10.

It's sweet tho when she offers to pay for someone else (like me) to buy an item.

• We can't go anywhere without him demanding Hot Wheels. I've even had him throw fits in stores that don't carry toys. It used to be that I could let him pick up every toy in the store to look at and he'd put it right back and we could carry on. Never asked for anything. Still doesn't even understand Christmas lists. All of a sudden, he needs everything. It's like he's been stockpiling his demands. LOL

• hmmmm - we've averted thsi so far. .. I didn't even know to expect it, but it makes sense. We do remind DD to use her "patience" when she starts getting antsy about something - and we'll tell her she has 4 "patiences" since she's 4 yo. That seems to work. ...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLoCarb:

We went through this and sometimes still do. I started giving DD an allowance to earn money.  She had to feed the dogs daily and sleep in & stay in her bed all night w/o fits.  It worked really well, limited the 'gimmie talk' and I allowed her to cash in her allowance after one month and buy something she's been asking for. The only negative to the reward system is she really doesn't understand the value of money. For example, she has been asking to return to DW and will offer to pay her own flight with $10.

It's sweet tho when she offers to pay for someone else (like me) to buy an item.

That's a good idea!  I might give it a try.

• dup

• We've been reading The Bearnstein Bears Get the Gimmies.  DS dies laughing when we read this book.  DS does not get the greedy gimmies but when he ask for something when we are out I tell him we can add it to his birthday list.  (Around Christmas time we said we'll add it to his Christmas list) He seems to be okay with the idea of adding it to a list.

April 2009
  • My DS just started this too!  My mom thought it was funny the first day because he had NEVER asked for anything before, but he was so out of control.  It started in the Disney Store (which we don't have in our area).  I said he could buy things with his money, and he cried that he only wanted to buy things with my money.  Not sure what is going to happen from here, but I am not looking forward to it. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • imageechowysp2:
    imagegimmietimmies:

Oh, man! I thought you were paging me or something. Sad The gimmies make me batty, so I can relate.

LOL I do love your name. I got banned for 30 years for posting about a free giveaway on my food blog.  :(
    Well that stinks, I know you weren't trolling for business. :( double sad, 30 years, christonacracker you could be a grandparent by then.

Oh, and thanks, sincerely, the Timmies addict who is 9 - 0 on the roll up the rim contest.

• imagegimmietimmies:
    imageechowysp2:
    imagegimmietimmies:

Well that stinks, I know you weren't trolling for business. :( double sad, 30 years, christonacracker you could be a grandparent by then.

Oh, and thanks, sincerely, the Timmies addict who is 9 - 0 on the roll up the rim contest.

Thanks.  Yeah, I was going to fight it, but figured it wasn't worth it.   Free Onion Crunch brought me down....lol.

And hey, at least the coffee is good.  And I had to stop getting their icy coffee things.  Yum, but once I saw the calories, I cried a little.

• imageechowysp2:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imageechowysp2:
    imagegimmietimmies:

Thanks.  Yeah, I was going to fight it, but figured it wasn't worth it.   Free Onion Crunch brought me down....lol.

And hey, at least the coffee is good.  And I had to stop getting their icy coffee things.  Yum, but once I saw the calories, I cried a little.

I hear ya, but the post count! Onion crunch, huh.

Yeah, I finally won something. A donut. Whoopee. I wanted the coffee if it was going to be a food prize. The ice cappucinos are sooooo good, but you're right, ouch on calories. I maybe have one or two a year because of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"