March 2012 Moms
Options

transitioning to whole milk

Has anyone started transitioning to whole milk yet?
Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12

Re: transitioning to whole milk

• Options
    Yup. Last week. She's doing great with it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    Yes right around 11 months. She loves it so I'm not worried about dropping formula entirely at a year.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup, totally seamless. He drinks it from his cup at meals but he still has 2 full formula bottles a day, too. I have a huge supply of formula that I want to use up so he'll probably keep that up for an extra month or so. NBD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yep. Started 2 weeks ago. She is doing great with it. We have been mixing it with the formula instead of using water.
    photo dff9bed9-7fbe-40aa-8c84-b6edd300a153_zps405bb8c9.jpg
  • Options
    Started about 2 weeks ago.  Adding to cups of formula during the day.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

She's going to be 11 months old on Friday, I'll start introducing milk over the weekend.

For those of you who mix it with formula - do you do a total swap out (milk instead of water) or do you do 1/2 and 1/2 or something?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    image526SadieSadie:

She's going to be 11 months old on Friday, I'll start introducing milk over the weekend.

For those of you who mix it with formula - do you do a total swap out (milk instead of water) or do you do 1/2 and 1/2 or something?

I do not do milk instead of water. I read that you shouldn't do that though I don't remember why.

I do half and half and will for another week or two. Won't have her on just milk until this can of formula is up or 1yr. Whichever happens first.

TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    So if you have started, how much whole milk and how much formula/BM is LO getting right now?
    Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12
  • Options

Our pedi said to substitute an ounce a week until fully on WCM. She did not suggest using the milk instead of water, but I know some are taking that route. 

My LO gets 4 cups a day.  She gets 2 that are only formula (4 ounces each) and 2 mixed - we start with 3 ounces of formula and 1 of milk, if she drinks it all we add more WCM (usually just 1 more ounce).  She also eats cereal or oatmeal each day and we add formula to that. 18 ounces total a day, this has been consistant since about 8 months.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imagesnowflakemom:
    So if you have started, how much whole milk and how much formula/BM is LO getting right now?

She gets a cup of milk with breakfast and with dinner. She still has three cups of formula throughout the day. Not sure of exact ounces because she doesn't drink out of bottles anymore.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagecountrygrl5533:
    image526SadieSadie:

I do not do milk instead of water. I read that you shouldn't do that though I don't remember why.

I do half and half and will for another week or two. Won't have her on just milk until this can of formula is up or 1yr. Whichever happens first.

Ok, fair enough so when you do 1/2 and 1/2 what do you actually do?  One bottle/cup with 1/2 serving of milk and a second bottle/cup with 1/2 a serving of formula? 

Olivia doesn't like the sippy cup yet, she still likes her bottle.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    image526SadieSadie:

Ok, fair enough so when you do 1/2 and 1/2 what do you actually do?  One bottle/cup with 1/2 serving of milk and a second bottle/cup with 1/2 a serving of formula? 

Olivia doesn't like the sippy cup yet, she still likes her bottle.

Here's a standard day for fluids.

Wake-nurse

Morning snack- milk cup (1/2 and 1/2, usually 2 oz of each)

Lunch- water

Afternoon snack-finishes milk cup from morning if she didn't drink it all then. Often doesn't unless I'm not paying attention and she just drinks it while watching Elmo.

Dinner- water

Bedtime- nurse and 3oz formula bottle

She has 2 sippy cups in the fridge most the time. One with water or water and a little juice and one with the milk mix.

• Options

We started a few days ago. He is completely off bottles now, yay!

I mix a pitcher of formula in the morning and fill his cup with 1/2 formula 1/2 whole milk. We'll continue mixing until this last container of formula is gone.

He drinks about 4oz with breakfast first thing in the morning.

After AM nap he has snack and some more milk, whatever he doesn't finish goes in the fridge and he gets the rest at lunch. If he finishes all that milk it's just water for lunch.

After his PM nap he eats some snack and some milk, this is around 3:30ish

Water for dinner

Around 7pm he drinks some more milk and has a little snack before bed.

I think he's getting about 18oz+ in a day. Can I just say how happy I am to be rid of bottles. Sippy cups are where it's at.

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    I think we are going to start next week.  Can't believe she is almost a year.  I plan on mixing half milk half formula and then slowly change it to all whole milk.  In a sippy too.  Bottle will be gone at a year.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Options
    imagekbruington:
    imagelindslalala:

I mix a pitcher of formula in the morning and fill his cup with 1/2 formula 1/2 whole milk. We'll continue mixing until this last container of formula is gone.

After AM nap he has snack and some more milk, whatever he doesn't finish goes in the fridge and he gets the rest at lunch. If he finishes all that milk it's just water for lunch.

Water for dinner

I think he's getting about 18oz+ in a day. Can I just say how happy I am to be rid of bottles. Sippy cups are where it's at.

I love giving my LO a bottle and rocking him before bed! I picture him getting confused and not realizing that it's still bedtime even if he's not getting a bottle. I guess he goes down for naps without a bottle so I'm probably worrying for nothing...story of my life :)

We haven't rocked DS to bed in months. He prefers to just lay down and fights me anytime I do a little snuggling when the lights are out. And he has his last liquids at least 30mins before bed anyway, it helps with  him leaking overnight. I am mostly just happy to have the vast majority of the top rack of my dishwasher back, bottles and all their parts took up so much space lol

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    imagekbruington:
    imagelindslalala:

Water for dinner

I love giving my LO a bottle and rocking him before bed! I picture him getting confused and not realizing that it's still bedtime even if he's not getting a bottle. I guess he goes down for naps without a bottle so I'm probably worrying for nothing...story of my life :)

I was about to post the same thingK is not a cuddler so bottle time is my only time to cuddle. IM not ready for cups only!
    Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Options
    I just started this past weekend mixing with BM. So far so good just he is super gassy. Anyone stop heating their milk while doing the transition?

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options

imagemcgeeva:
    I just started this past weekend mixing with BM. So far so good just he is super gassy. Anyone stop heating their milk while doing the transition?

I have never heated the formula I put in the sippy just the bottle so her milk transition isn't heated either. She does just fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"