TTC after 35
Options

Have to give myself the trigger!

So I went in this morning - CD11 - had 3 lead follicles - size 19, 18 and 17.  They didn't trigger me and said they would wait until the blood work results came back.  If I was surging on my own, they would just do the IUI tomorrow.  If not, I would come back Friday am for a trigger shot for Saturday IUI.

Just got call from my RE's nurse.  She (and my Dr.) were annoyed that they didn't give me the trigger this morning.  They don't want more follicles which could happen if we wait to administer the trigger.  Now that we've missed the morning, she said that I have to get the trigger tonight between 10 and 11pm.  I offered to come in now, but it doesn't work with the timing - it would be too late for a tomorrow IUI and too early for Saturday. Which means I have to do it myself :(

I'm a little panicked that this is going awry.  Does this make sense to those who are well versed?  Plus, I'm totally freaked out about the trigger shot! 

Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!

Re: Have to give myself the trigger!

• Options
    Makes sense to me ... You don't want too many follies for an IUI. You'll be okay doing the trigger. I take it your shot is intramuscular? Can your hubby/SO do it? There are online videos that you can watch first that help a lot. Sorry I can't link because I'm on the mobile site ... but I recall that NYU Fertility's website links to the videos. Good luck; it will work out fine!
  • Options

So you are triggering between 10/11pm tonight for an IUI early saturday? Is that what I am reading?

Sounds about right, I read some ladies were given 36 hours before and others 24 hours before...

YOu will be fine, I haven't given myslef the trigger the nurse always has, but it totally doesn't hurt and I hate needles I am a big baby :)

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm gearing up to give myself a trigger shot (Ovidrel) this weekend. My shot came with a DVD explaining how to administer it and where; it doesn't seem too bad, but those may be famous last words.

Let us know how it is. I would love to know where (on your body) you decide to administer it; i'm thinking my thigh may be easier than my belly? 

Best of luck! 

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Options

My shot is Ovidrel and she said either my stomach or thigh.   We walked through it on the phone and I'm thinking thigh is easier.  I have a hard time thinking about sticking something in my stomach!  I have had two trigger shots before - they were HCG and were given in my butt by a nurse.  My first one on my own.

I asked her about the timing - the last two trigger shots were between 7-9am with the IUI the following morning - so about 24 hours.  Heather, as you said - this would be about 36 hours as trigger is 10-11pm tonight and the IUI is 11am on Saturday morning.  She said that was totally fine and that's the protocol they do for IVF so I'm fine.  

Jbelle I'll let you know how I do!  My husband said he'd help but that may stress me out more :) 

Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!
  • Options
    Lenox, don't worry.  It's not that bad at all.  My husband did it for me.  The needle is very fine, you barely can feel it.  Just follow the instruction, you will be okay.  I had my injectable this month, my husband did all my shots and all in my stomach.....I don't love it but it's okay. 
  • Options
    I was worried about the hcg shot, but stay calm and give yourself time to prepare it. You'll do great! Good luck!

• Options
    If you're doing the Ovidrel it will be easy. Very small needle. A stomach shot isn't as bad as it sounds; you pinch your roll of belly fat to the left or right side below your belly button and it goes in easily.
  • Options

imagebrooklynesque:
    If you're doing the Ovidrel it will be easy. Very small needle. A stomach shot isn't as bad as it sounds; you pinch your roll of belly fat to the left or right side below your belly button and it goes in easily.

This exactly!  Also  let the shot get to room temp and let the alcohol dry on the injection site before you do the shot.... it shouldn't sting.

you can do it!

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options

Ovidrel has a nice skinny needle.  You need to pinch some fat from your tummy (not too hard) and make sure you push the needle all the way in to the syringe part.  I was making the mistake of not going deep enough and wasted some Ovidrel last time.  Also, if there is an air bubble, don't try to get rid of it - you are more likely to spray it all over the place.  Since your shot is sub-Q, the air bubble won't hit your bloodstream and won't be a problem.  Let the needle stay in place for a moment to make sure none of the medicine comes back out with it.

It's very easy.  You should have no issues.  I understand that it seems very daunting, but once you do it, you'll wonder why you were worried.  Good luck!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You can do this. The other ladies have given some good advice. Sure that after you give the shot, you'll realize that it's not as bad as you thought. GL with your IUI!!!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    Sounds like it's a subcutaneous injection, I'd say go for the tummy if you have any fat at all on your abdomen (most of us have at least some!). I'm an RN, we do a lot of subQ injections (usually anticoagulants) on our pts and I usually give those in the belly. They rarely even wince! Wipe down your injection site w/ an alcohol wipe, let it air dry 30 seconds or so, pinch, insert needle all the way to the hub, plunge, and inject all the way, remove the needle and slide the safety (probably has a built-in one?), and discard the syringe & needle safely (ask the office if they have recommendations for you/your community about this- an old milk jug is a good solution for people who don't keep sharps containers around the house!).
  • Options

The ladies make it sound as if it will be ok.  I can so understand your worry, as I am a huge chicken when it comes to needles/shots and having to give myself one?  What?  Lol.....

We are all rooting for you and know that you will do great!  I might faint when I have to do mine, but you won't....:) 

Thanks for posting this subject, it has bought me some peace. and thanks....HollyweenOR, you, being a nurse made me a bit more couragous and comfortable to think that I can do this, too!  :) 

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • Options
    thanks guys!  I'm all amped up and ready to go!  I just wish I didn't have to wait until 10pm so I can get it over with :)  I'll let you know how it goes!
  • Options

Everyone gave great advice! You can do it Lenox! Will be cheering on the sidelines with my pom poms....lol.

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    Hooray! We did it! My husband did he was so nervous and got teary after bc he felt so bad and concerned he was hurting me. It was pretty cute.
  • Options
    Hooray! Glad it went well!
  • Options

imageLenox1975:
    Hooray! We did it! My husband did he was so nervous and got teary after bc he felt so bad and concerned he was hurting me. It was pretty cute.

How cute :), wasn't too bad right?

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Options
    Yay!!

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options

imageLenox1975:

Good job!

• Options
    Yay, for the husband!  Great job.  Glad you are doing ok, Lenox!  Best of Luck on your ER.......FX for you!
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for posting. Very informative. So glad the shot went well, hope your IUI did as well. FX!!
    Me:37 DH:40 Married 7/2009 TTC since 5/2012 
    BFP 4/2013, Our Christmas Miracle Due 12/18/2013
  • Options
    Congrats!!! And thank you for sharing :) So, did it hurt? I'll be having to do the same thing soon. @Jacque Sil-lol I'll probably faint too! It happens almost every time I have to get a shot or blood drawn. Needles and I do not mix well lol Good luck to everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"