Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

XP: Making baby's food

Hi there! I'm from the 3-6 month board, but we might be starting foods in the next month. 

Sorry if this is posted a lot...

If you make your baby's food, do you use a special processor (one that steams, purees, defrosts, and heats up the baby food)? Like the Baby Bullet?

I have read bad reviews on all of them, saying they grow mold quickly, and it's impossible to clean it out. Just wondering if anyone has had their processor for a long while now (so I guess this may be geared toward second+ time moms) and not had a problem with mold, and which one you use.

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Making baby's food

• Options
    No issue with mold- glad I got it as a present though. We havent used it alot. We arent doing alot of purees and I got lazy with it when I discovered baby food pouches.
  • Options
    I have the baby brezza and I love it. I make all the purees for my twins and I find it so easy. Just chop, throw it in and it steams and blends. It just take one day every few weeks and make huge batches of a variety of fruits and vegetables, and freeze in ice cube trays. I find it very easy with the baby brezza. I have the one that is only sold at William Sonoma. I know there are a few different models, but not sure of all the differences in them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 21C
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Baby food makers are not necessary and IMO, a huge waste of money.  I bake or steam my food, puree it in a food processor and freeze in ice cube trays.  I can make a months worth of one particular food because my food processor is bigger than the baby food makers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

I buy some and make some. When I make my own, I steam or boil the food then put it in a blender with some of the cooking water. I found the blender gets it smoother than a food processor and I wan't going to buy a special baby food maker. If you make something like peas i found pushing the puree through a mesh strainer also helps, but you really only need to do that with things like peas and green beans.

Like PP said put it into ice cube trays and freeze (each cube is about 1 oz), then just put them into ziplock bags and they are good for about 3 months--longer if you have a stand alone freezer.

Take a look at this site. It has some good tips and pointers:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

GL! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Only used my baby bullet for a month but it's great! I don't see why it'd grow mold. I rinse it out great right away and run it through the dishwasher. No issues so far.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I use my regular food processor to make baby food.  First I steam or boil the fruit/veggie and then put it in the processor, add a little bit of the water from the pot I cooked the fruit/veggie in (until I get the consitancy that I want) and blend! 
    Sparrow Fae 3/9/10 Levi Roy 6/17/12 Sparrow January 20
  • Options
    I suggest looking into baby led weaning.  I didn't know about it until right after we started purees, but had gotten the baby bullet as a gift.  I actually like the bullet.  I will say that it is much easier/lazier to do the store bought baby foods.  but also a LOT cheaper to make your own.  So far we have done sweet potato, squash, pears, avocado, peas and banana in ours.  most of that stuff though once you bake/steam it you could just mash it up and give it to baby.  Its also been convenient to give the daycare a bullet with just the right amount of food.  IMO if you want to spend the money go for it.  I know the baby bullet is one of the cheaper ones out there.  But I also see where having a blender/processor works just the same. 
  • Options

imageallardr:
    Only used my baby bullet for a month but it's great! I don't see why it'd grow mold. I rinse it out great right away and run it through the dishwasher. No issues so far.

I was just using the Baby Bullet as an example of a processor. I have heard mold grows in the other ones like a Beaba (or whatever it is). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just use a regular food processor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"