Postpartum Depression

Wellbutrin and BF

Hi all,
I finally saw a psychiatrist earlier this week and she gave me a prescription for bupropion. She said it is ok to continue BF and from what I have read it is one of those drugs that hasn't been closely studied when it comes to BF but that there is no clear evidence that it harms BF babies. Which isn't completely reassuring to me but I understand many drugs are not studied in this way, and the benefits are supposed to outweigh the potential risks.
I know the root of my issues is sleep deprivation and if that were fixed I might not need drugs. But when we've tried sleep training it's ended in a total breakdown for me. So I think maybe I'll be more capable of dealing with it once I've been on the drug for awhile.
I've been trying really hard to deal with this without drugs and it just hasn't been enough. I know I need to try something else, but I am so conflicted about starting the bupropion. I worry about DS being affected, and DH isn't supportive. He's afraid I "won't be myself" and thinks all I need is more "romantic attention" from him. Yeah, he doesn't get it.
Help mommies! I need encouragement.

Re: Wellbutrin and BF

• I am also on Wellbutrin, but my prolactin levels were so low 2 weeks postpartum it was like I was starving DS so I reluctantly started him on formula and we started me on Wellbutrin about 3 months postpartum.

I hear you on the sleep deprivation thing.  I know that is the absolute biggest trigger for my depression but being a new mommy doesn't help that much.  As for taking the bupropion while BFing I personally would not because of exactly what you said - that it has not proven to harm baby but it hasn't been proven that it is safe either.  You have to decide what is best for both YOU and baby.  I had a really hard time of letting go of BFing.  So much went wrong with the birth and that was just one more thing that went wrong.  I still get teary eyed when I think about not being able to BF.  But in hindsight I know it was the best for both of us.  You have obviously done an amazing job at BFing and dealing with the depression this long! But it really is a decision you have to make for yourself. 

And it takes time for men to actually "get" what depression is. Have you checked out https://www.postpartumprogress.com/ it has a lot of great info on it and there is a section on there for dads too :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageprincessyetz:
    I am also on Wellbutrin, but my prolactin levels were so low 2 weeks postpartum it was like I was starving DS so I reluctantly started him on formula and we started me on Wellbutrin about 3 months postpartum.I hear you on the sleep deprivation thing. nbsp;I know that is the absolute biggest trigger for my depression but being a new mommy doesn't help that much. nbsp;As for taking the bupropion while BFing I personally would not because of exactly what you said that it has not proven to harm baby but it hasn't been proven that it is safe either. nbsp;You have to decide what is best for both YOU and baby. nbsp;I had a really hard time of letting go of BFing. nbsp;So much went wrong with the birth and that was just one more thing that went wrong. nbsp;I still get teary eyed when I think about not being able to BF. nbsp;But in hindsight I know it was the best for both of us. nbsp;You have obviously done an amazing job at BFing and dealing with the depression this long! But it really is a decision you have to make for yourself.nbsp;And it takes time for men to actually "get" what depression is. Have you checked outnbsp;https://www.postpartumprogress.com/ it has a lot of great info on it and there is a section on there for dads too :nbsp;

Hey thanks for the link! I sent it to DH. I had not seen that site before, so thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey there! I don't have any experience with Wellbutrin but I am currently on Zoloft and still bfing my 11 mo old son. Deciding to take the meds and still bf was literally one of the hardest decisions of my life. 

I feel like for me I definitely made the right choice and it has helped me more than I can say. I wish I had gotten help sooner. I did lots of research before starting the meds which it sounds like you are doing. If you aren't comfortable with that medication, maybe you could talk to the psychiatrist about a different medication that you are more comfortable with?

Good luck, hang in there!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageretallica:
    Hey there! I don't have any experience with Wellbutrin but I am currently on Zoloft and still bfing my 11 mo old son. Deciding to take the meds and still bf was literally one of the hardest decisions of my life.nbsp;I feel like for me I definitely made the right choice and it has helped me more than I can say. I wish I had gotten help sooner. I did lots of research before starting the meds which it sounds like you are doing. If you aren't comfortable with that medication, maybe you could talk to the psychiatrist about a different medication that you are more comfortable with?Good luck, hang in there! nbsp;

Thank you! After all my research I decided to go ahead and try the Wellbutrin. So far DS seems fine. I think it is helping, though I am a little down today, but it's only been about a week and a half. Dr said it would take about 5 weeks to fully kick in. Once I'm feeling good and DS is over this cold we are going to try sleep training again. Hopefully once I'm getting more sleep I can wean off the meds. We'll see!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"