Military Families
Options

Delivering while husband is out of country

I am currently pregnant with our second child. Unfortunately, my husband was in training during our first pregnancy/delivery, but I was at home with my family and friends so I had plenty of support. This time around, I won't be as lucky. We recently moved to Eglin AFB, FL. We have a 3 year old daughter and our second little lady is due at the end of June. My husband will be out of the country for the end of my pregnancy and the delivery and I am a little concerned that I will go into labor with my 3 year old at my side. We have started to make a plan, but it hasn't helped much to calm my pregnant emotions! Anyone have experience with this? I haven't met many people yet and the majority of the guys my husband works with are single and will also be gone. 

Re: Delivering while husband is out of country

• Options

Do you have a family member or friend from home that can take a couple weeks and come stay with you during that time?  I only say a couple weeks because unless you have a scheduled c/s or induction there's such a big window of when baby could come.  If I was in your situation I would buy a plane ticket for either my mom or dad to come stay here the help me prepare and be here with the 3 y/o.  That's really all you can do unless you meet a friend or babysitter in the next few months that you can trust to keep your child for several days.   

Just make sure you have all your bases covered because your H won't be sent home because you don't have someone to watch your 3 y/o while in labor.   

• Options

You could contact the Airmen and family readiness center on base.  They should be able to give you a list of FCC providers (family child care provider). I used an FCC provider in Japan and she was great.  She did extended care for parents when they had their new baby. 

https://www.afchildprograms.com/FCC.htm

My husband will be gone also.  My parents are flying our to help for the birth and the 1st couple of weeks. I have been at my current place for over a year and I have a friend as a back-up just in case.  

Hope this helps! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Contact your FRG.  We have plans in place with our pregnant wives.  If something were to happen or they go into labor, we have plans in place to care for their children and/or get mom to the hospital.  Find out if yours is the same.  Are there people willing to help you out?  Start getting to know those ladies now so you are comfortable with them when the time comes.  I would also see if there is a family member who can come stay with you for the last week or two of your pregnancy and maybe another family member for a week or two after the baby is born.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

HI! And welcome to the beautiful beaches of FL! (We are at Hurlburt). 

First, I would suggest switching your Tricare to be able to go off-base. Eglin is HORRIBLE! I delivered my son there while hubby was deployed and nearly died from complications of a vaginal delivery. Of my 3 friends to have babies there recently, all 3 ended up in "emergency" c-sections because the staff does not know what they are doing. I strongly suggest switching and going to Whitaker or Hennessey in FWB. The co-pays are minimum and worth your health and the health of little miss.

Next, message me :) I can bring meals by when you have the baby and help out if you need it. Most military wives will step up and help out when they can. I work full-time, but could come over after picking up the kids and my hubby can cut grass. Anything you need.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"