Pre-School and Daycare

pink eye experience, anyone?

DS came home from preschool today with a red eye and nasty discharge coming out of it. He had a little eye crust this morning when he woke but whoa, it's like crazy now. The pedi is closed til 145 and I plan to call then. This is a major PITA since he and his sister are playing with the same toys and are pretty much attached at the hip. I'm going to take his sheets off the bed and wash in hot. We're having company from out of town this weekend (BIL) on top of it.

How long for this to take it's course? Should I just bet on DD getting it? I have to travel next week for work so this is going to suck if it's a long recovery, especially if DS can't go to school.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: pink eye experience, anyone?

• imageLuhdashuh:

Usually once you start the drops the symptoms clear up pretty quickly, ds should be fie to go to school Monday. You can give your dd the drops as soon as she shows any signs at all. You might want to see if you can get a prescription before you travel in case you ge it too.

Yeah, we've had 4 cases of it in the last 2 years and it is not a big deal.  My kids have never passed it to  eachother. DD#1 likes the drops refrigerated but the twins don't like it cold.  Frankly I'd take pink eye over the common cold in a heartbeat- LOL!

• Most schools allow the kids to return once they're on the drops for 24 hours becuase they're no longer contagious.  dd had pink eye 7 times last winter - yep- fun times- and ds never caught it from her...but I did!  Like the other poster said, I'd take it anytime over a cold.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Loading the player...
  • We've had it a few times.  NBD.  My pedi doesn't even make you come in for it- you just talk to the RN, relay the symptoms & they call in an Rx. I think the others are right on, they have to be on the drops 24hrs & can return to school.

Best tip anyone ever gave me re: eyedrops:  Let LO lie on the floor with their eyes closed, put the drops in the corner of each eye, then have them open their eyes & blink a few times.  Totally painless for all involved :)

• imageilovemygirls:

We've had it a few times.  NBD.  My pedi doesn't even make you come in for it- you just talk to the RN, relay the symptoms & they call in an Rx. I think the others are right on, they have to be on the drops 24hrs & can return to school.

Best tip anyone ever gave me re: eyedrops:  Let LO lie on the floor with their eyes closed, put the drops in the corner of each eye, then have them open their eyes & blink a few times.  Totally painless for all involved :)

Thank you for the tip. We've been doing it a much less desirable way. Will try this. 

• Thanks everyone!! DS's eye looks alot better after starting the treatment. He does not go to school on MOndays but Tues-Fri so I think she should be fine on the return. So far so go for DD (knock wood). Of course I feel like my eye is itchy but I think it's my imagination!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"