Adoption

MATCHED!!

Some of you know this already, but as of 5PM last night the birth parents for the baby boy in foster care have officially chosen us (after an insanely long and drawn out process) and they are going to be signing TPR in a little over an hour from now. We meet our son for the first time tomorrow afternoon (he turns 4 weeks old tomorrow). We will begin transition with the foster family on Friday through the weekend and we bring him home with us Sunday night!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! These last 2 months have been totally a whirlwind. We've only been HS approved 2.5 months, but I still can't believe all that's happened in such a short time; especially with our failed match back right before Christmas and all that grieving that went with that. It's crazy!

We are having a fully open adoption with the birth parents (whom we just adore BTW). They have asked to be present tomorrow when we meet baby for the first time. It's going to be an amazing moment I know will be one of the most important days of our lives. 

Any thoughts on what in the world I can get them on short notice for birth parents gifts???? I'm thinking a locket for BM and no idea what to get BF. He's majorly into sports. Any thoughts?

:::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!

Re: MATCHED!!

• Oh my goodness, Mush, this is amazing!  I'm so happy for you!  What wonderful news!

I know your whole world changes when you bring a child home, and you will be very busy and at times may feel overwhelmed, but please remember we are here.  We are here to celebrate your successes, listen to your vents (sometimes adoptive parents feel they can't ever vent about the transition or other parenting things because of how others will perceive them), and offer support when you need it.  I have found this board to be invaluable, and want to offer the same to all the other posters, especially those who adopt older children.

When I read that the BPs will be there when you meet your son, I wanted to let you know something that was shared with us when we met M.  Be prepared for him to be standoffish.  He likely won't know what's expected of him, and he likely doesn't want to disappoint you or his BPs.  He may feel that by showing his pleasure at the thought of you, he's hurting them.  We were warned that M might leave the room, cry, tantrum, or have any behavior imaginable.  In reality, he gave us both a hug first thing, and spent the day playing around and being silly with us.  But it helped to let him do it on his terms, and not to expect anything of him.

I'm no good at offering advice for presents, because I never know if something is considered appropriate, but is there anyway you could take a picture of him with your son and give him a frame featuring his favorite sports team to keep it in? 

• Captain, the baby is 4 WEEKS old, lol.  I doubt he'll be very standoffish.  ;)  Just ribbing you.

Mush, CONGRATS!  What an emotional day it will be! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejulandjo:

Captain, the baby is 4 WEEKS old, lol.  I doubt he'll be very standoffish.  ;)  Just ribbing you.

DOH!  I read four years old!   Just skip everything I said in those middle two paragraphs!  Well, except for the part that I do hope you continue to post here!

• Congrats! That is great news. Do you know what BF favorite teams are? Maybe you could get him something that has to do with his team.

Started TTC July 2012. Missed m/c & d&c 9/12 11w. Natural m/c 1/13 6w. Chemical pgs 3/13 & 8/13 around 4w. Currently TTA while saving for adoption.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” -Helen Keller
  • so exciting!!! i don't really have any ideas on what to get the BPs, but i'm sure you will think of something great. congratulations!!!!!!
  • Wonderful news!!!! Congrats mom!

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• Congratulations! Good luck with the meeting and enjoy this time together.
  • I am truly thrilled for you and I wish you all the best as you form a new family full of strength and love.
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!  I'm so happy for you : )!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Congrats! I echo a lot of what CS said, except for that 4yo misunderstanding ;) And know that *everyone* will ask you what you need, and you won't even know what you need. Just enjoy every moment.

As for gifts, we were matched when DD was a day or 2 old, so we just got flowers for her birthmom. If you have the time, I'd try and find a sporty onesie that maybe matches a sporty t-shirt for his birthfather? That's all I can think of at the moment. Or matching baseball caps?

• Congrats, congrats, congrats!  What wonderful news.  I hope all goes well for you this weekend.  I second Dr. L's thoughts on the matching baby-BF sporty shirt or hat. I think that would be sweet.
  • Congrats! That's wonderful...what about a pocket watch or a man ring for the bf? 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Congrats, enjoy that moment.  Can't wait to hear more and maybe see some pics..? :)
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So thrilled for you!!  That's wonderful!! 
  • Congrats! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since June 2009
    01/10- Femara
    03/10- Femara
    07/2010- Clomid with injectables and IUI #1
    08/2010- IUI #2
    06/2011- IVF #1 BFP!
    09/2011- Miscarriage at 10 1/2 weeks
    11/2011- FET
    01/2012- Start Home Study process
    03/2012- Home Study approved and now waiting on our child to find us!
    07/2012- matched with a BM who is due in October!
    11/10/12- our son is born!
    11/13/12- court grants us custody!
     12/28/12- finalization! Always ours in our hearts, but.now also ours forever

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

http://keepingupwiththejoneses-dana.blogspot.com/

• Congrats!  

As for gifts, how about a framed picture of the baby wearing a onesie or hat with BF's favorite team?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

after several m/c, DD#1 born 7-7-08, more m/c and failed IVF, started adoption process March 2011, matched Oct 2, 2012, DD#2 born 10-31-12
    Hope Wait Pray Adoption Blog
  • Congratulations, that is amazing!! I wish nothing but the best for you and your family.
    Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I saw your post on the FB page and was so excited for you! Congratulations mama!!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What an uplifting story! Congrats! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"