Minnesota Babies

Anyone else?!?!?!

I started calling in-home daycare about a month or so ago. I stopped for a couple weeks & started up again. Well... everyone whose answered has no room for an infant. I have been on the verge of tears all day & am so discouraged. I have left messages for 4 or 5 gals(really hoping I hear back) There is such a baby boom right now, it's insane. They've also changed quite a few of the laws/rules so quite a few daycare providers are no longer taking infants period! I am pretty dead set against a center, plus they are $100 or more a week then in home. I was a nanny for 13+ years & it breaks my heart to have to put baby in daycare, but prefer home over a center any day. Is anyone else having a hard time finding an opening for baby???

I have been pretty lucky & haven't had too many "emotional" days... not so lucky today :-) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone else?!?!?!

• I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time!  We looked for a little while too and it was impossible to find an in-home for two infants - many didn't even have one opening for one as you are finding!  Don't worry, you could always start with a center if you have to, even though it might be a few months of paying more, then keep looking for an in home!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • This happened to us as first...either people said "we won't know for a while if we have an opening" or they had a wait list a year long.  But, after many more calls, we found a few good options that led to a tour of the perfect in-home for us.

I know it's a stressful, stressful process and I'm sorry it's taking a long time. Know that you will find a place--it is out there! Good luck!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been dealing with the exact same thing. It's so frustrating and I was in tears yesterday after calling literally 10 places, leaving messages with 5 and the rest being told no room. I have to keep thinking that I will find something. Otherwise it will honestly be better for my husband to stay home rather than fork out the center prices.
  • It is so overwhelming that's for sure! I think worst case scenario if we had to start with a center then I guess so be it until we find an opening at an in home. I so wish we could afford for one of us to stay home, but if we do a center at some point it would make more sense financially for one of us to stay home. They're so expensive! A + to a center though is that they are only closed on the holidays. That would be really nice, especially since I don't personally have much vacation time & definitely won't after baby is born. I've only been at my current job for a year in March. So I think I have maybe 50 hours. Yikes! Thank you to all of you, yesterday just was a "down" day. Today I am feeling a lot better & I generally have a very positive attitude. Glad it's back ;-) 
  • We got lucky and found an in-home after about 4 weeks of looking, but I do understand how stressful it can be. How old will baby be when starting daycare? Have you expanded to nearby cities that maybe are perfectly ideal but might still work? We ended up with an in-home that is perfect for DH but 15-20 out of the way for me, but I'm okay with it because we are really happy with our provider.

Try not to get discouraged and just make a few phone calls per day!

image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• My advice is to just keep looking and ask around as much as you can.  If you really can't find in-home daycare, just be open to a center - there are decent affordable ones out there (depending on where you are looking).  Some don't have fancy websites, so they don't seem to pop up as often as the more expensive ones on google searches.  We found ours through a coworker. 
  • Yep, it is hard. You still have lots of time though so don't worry.

Check on craigslist, the dhs licensing site, ask friends. What area are you in or looking? 

• This was the hardest thing ever for me. We found a center at a church that we love. I asked all of my friends where they brought their kids.
  • I have searched for daycare in surrounding cities! It would be nice to be close to home since my husband works in Forest Lake & I work in Fridley. We live in Ham Lake. If we have to have babe closer to one of our jobs, it'd be mine. My H travels a couple times a year & wouldn't make sense for the daycare to be near his work. As far as a center, all near us are $240 FT. $100 or more expensive a week then the in home. I've asked friends, posted on Facebook & am still searching. I started looking a little over a month ago, but then kind of stopped. I am mad at myself for doing that because I talked two who I hadn't before & they just filled their infant spots. It's just hard because I've talked to several providers who will no longer be taking in infants at all :-( 

I'm definitely not giving up, will continue to search & call different centers. All in our area that I've talked to are $240 so will see if I can find anything cheaper, like a church?!?!?

Thanks ladies!!  

• Just sent you a PM.  Hope that helps!!

Good luck and keep your chin up :) 

• imageangel1015:

Just sent you a PM.  Hope that helps!!

Good luck and keep your chin up :) 

Thank you, I replied! I couldn't figure it out at first ;-) I don't think I've had a PM yet!! HA!!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"