Pre-School and Daycare

Clothing choices

DD always wants to wear short sleeves. Right now it gets to a high of 60 each day but is cold in the morning. I let her pick clothes and we battle to get her to put a long sleeve under her short sleeve. I feel like just letting her wear short sleeves because maybe if she was cold she'd make a better choice. Any ideas.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Clothing choices

• My DD wants to wear dresses everyday and some of them have short sleeves.  I tell her that she can wear the long sleeved dress or she can wear the short sleeved dress, but she has to wear a shirt under it, so it's up to her.  And she's usually ok with the decision when she has to wear the shirt underneath.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD1 likes to pick her own clothes, and more often than not picks short sleeves. I just let her wear them. She runs around enough that she's not cold, and if we leave the house she has to wear a coat anyway. It's a high of 17 here today and she's running around in short sleeves without a problem.

I do, however, draw the line at sleeveless. She knows she has to put a short sleeve or long sleeve shirt underneath a sleeveless top or dress. After the first 2-3 times she tried to fight me on it she figured out I wasn't letting up and now does it without my having to remind her.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I keep short sleeves out of circulation when it is too cold for them. Otherwise, last fall, I would tell the child to go get my phone and check the weather. THe low had to be over X degrees in order to wear shortsleeves. The phone is a respected authority around here. I am lax, though. They have warm winter coats and when they are inside it doesn't matter.
  • I only have this issue with my 3 yr old. He will wear short sleeves year round, but we live in the north east! Thankfully he has a really warm jacket for outside. I don't find it to be worth a fight. Shorts on the other hand I had to hide!

High of 60, he would prob wear a fleece and short sleeves under... as would I!
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • I would suggest making (and yes I said making her, you are the parent) a long sleeve sweater or jacket over her short sleeve shirt that way she can remove it herself.  Tell her that she must wear it for a while, say till snack time or recess then if she is hot she may take it off.  I wouldn't make her wear a long sleeve undershirt, just incase she does get hot she would need help removing both shirts and then putting the one back on. 

I sit down with my DD every night to pick out her outfits, she picks, I am the final say of the outfit and if there is any fights we start all over again with a new choice.  HTH

• 60 during the day would make he have her wear a coat and call it a day. I feel like my 4yo is old enough to choose her clothes as long as no skin is exposed when it is too cold. She wore a short sleeve sweater dress with leggings today with a coat and it was in the upper 30s today and was supposed to go into the upper 40s. Her preschool is properly heated and I she was cold I assume she would learn from the mistake or wear her coat in class. I even let DS wear a thin jean jacket the last few days because his first bus stop is at our house and the drop off is at the corner only 3 houses away and he will not really get pneumonia from being outside for two minutes in a tee shirt and jean jacket.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imagemgrulke:
    I would suggest making and yes I said making her, you are the parent a long sleeve sweater or jacket over her short sleeve shirt that way she can remove it herself.nbsp; Tell her that she must wear it for a while, say till snack time or recess then if she is hot she may take it off.nbsp; I wouldn't make her wear a long sleeve undershirt, just incase she does get hot she would need help removing both shirts and then putting the one back on.nbsp;
    I sit down with my DD every night to pick out her outfits, she picks, I am the final say of the outfit and if there is any fights we start all over again with a new choice.nbsp; HTH

I would not make your kid do something this trivial that you will not be there to enforce, she could take it off ten min later and you would not know. And what if the class got hot?
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • We wear short sleeves here sometimes, and today's high was 14. It's plenty warm in the house, and DD will ask for a sweatshirt if she gets cold. I wouldn't let her wear shorts or a skirt without leggings/tights, but short sleeves are no big deal.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • DS love his short sleeved tees. I just make sure he wears a long sleeved tee underneath.
  • I would just let her wear short sleeves.  Maybe try a sweater over it?  Or wear a jacket in the morning at least.
  • I would let her wear the short sleeves and then just keep a sweatshirt close by.  I live in MN and still let my kids wear short sleeves when they go to school and we always keep a sweatshirt in their school bag.  Just like I won't do the wear your winter coat battle - they have each gone outside to the car with no coat on and begged me to help them put it on once they got cold.  You need to pick your battles and decide if the shirt is worth the time and effort.  I don't make clothes a battle (unless its like days like today when it was -6 when they left for school).  My kids get that and 99.9% of the time, they can wear whatever they want.  I also make sure to only have clothes in their closet that I am fine that they wear anytime.  At the end of each seasons, I switch out what they have in the closet and any fancy clothes are not kept in their rooms - if they can't see, they won't even think to wear it.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • There's snow outside my house and my son where's a T almost everyday... and even to bed.  Our house is warm enough to run around in undies, and when we leave we put on a winter coat and sometimes a sweat-shirt too.  But a T shirt is acceptable in our household.  Kids run around and get hot and sweaty.
  • I usually let DD1 pick from 2-3 weather appropriate outfits that I've selected beforehand. This way, we both feel like we get a say in the decision. We very rarely have clothing battles.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I let them wear pants and whatever shirts they want.  If we leave they'll wear a coat. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • imagemgrulke:
    I would suggest making and yes I said making her, you are the parent a long sleeve sweater or jacket over her short sleeve shirt that way she can remove it herself.nbsp; Tell her that she must wear it for a while, say till snack time or recess then if she is hot she may take it off.nbsp; I wouldn't make her wear a long sleeve undershirt, just incase she does get hot she would need help removing both shirts and then putting the one back on.nbsp;
    I sit down with my DD every night to pick out her outfits, she picks, I am the final say of the outfit and if there is any fights we start all over again with a new choice.nbsp; HTH

This
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Maybe have her wear a jacket over?
    m/c 2013
  • DS wears shorts sleeves often, he just puts a jacket over it. 
  • I can't fight about clothes on a daily basis.

I let DD pick out her own clothes and she can wear whatever she wants, but if she wants to wear a sundress, she has to find a long sleeved shirt to go with it and leggings or tights.  She knows she has to bring a jacket when she leaves the house - whether she wears it or not, she can pick.  She'll put it on almost everytime.

She looks like a crazy person approximately 80% of the time, but really, she's happy and thinks she looks great and she's warm and comfortable.

On the rare occassion where I have to make her wear something in particular, we discuss it in advance.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"