LGBT Parenting
Options

Pregnancy Check-In

I'll jump on posting this one today!

What's up?  How is everyone doing?  Anything exciting going on?

QOTD: What is everyone doing to prepare for L&D?  Taking hospital classes?  Hiring a Doula?  Going in blind?  Throw it out there!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
TTC since 6/11
Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

Re: Pregnancy Check-In

• Options

I can't believe it, but I'm 2 days away from 37 weeks which was a big milestone for me with my early cervical changes. I'm not anticipating that this kiddo is coming any time in the very near future, but it's nice to be able to heave a sigh of moderate relief.

I've been able to get more accomplished in the nursery, so that's making me happy. But work is still incredibly stressful and I have really mixed emotions about going on ML. Part of me is happy to just get away from it all, and I know that in their core my team is capable and knows how to perform their job functions. But on the other side of things, I'm stressed beyond belief that my boss is going to rip each one of them apart and destroy their confidence and our team morale. I really don't know what I can do about it and it occupies much of my thoughts these days.

QOTD: With S's work schedule, we were just completely unable to find a birthing class that we could commit to. So instead we went to 1 great evening seminar put on by a local group (the Childbirth Collective), hired a Doula - which we would have done anyway - and are relying on my comfort level with birth based on my previous Doula work, which was years ago. I think we could be more prepared than we are, for sure, but we could also be way less prepared. The only reason I'm comfortable with the process we've chosen is because we have a GREAT relationship with our Midwife and I trust him to give us information and time to process it should anything arise. How is everyone else doing out there?

Edited to add paragraphs - WTF bump?

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options

I am doing pretty well. I'm feeling A LOT better, but definitely still have my moments of feeling pretty bad - mostly at night. I had a little scare on Sunday night, just some light spotting, but basically it resulted in an u/s yesterday morning. The baby is perfect, measuring exactly on time, I got to hear the heartbeat, which sounded like a choo choo train at a HR of 179! The RE was thrilled and I was released yesterday to my ob. I'm only sad because S missed it. She's still traveling for work through Friday. We're just glad everything is ok though.

As far as L&D, I am seriously considering hiring a Doula. While S has completely taken the role of compassionate partner and is generally amazing, she literally breaks out into hives when entering a hospital and I have to say I don't have complete confidence in her ability to support me during the birth. She's amazing, but given her aversion to germs and hospitals, I think it's a good idea. I've started looking at some options in the area. I assume I'll also be taking a hospital class when the time comes. I just can't believe how much more real it got yesterday.  I'm definitely looking forward to entering the next phase more confidently and arming myself with much more information to prep for 2nd/3rd tri pregnancy and birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

15 weeks today. Feeling much better and trying to use the extra energy get (back) into good/better exercise and cooking habits. We're looking forward to our birthdays coming up, but there seems to be a million things to do before then.

QOTD: We've hired our midwife and assistant. Love! We're 90% sure/unofficially booked for our doula as she's my colleague and the three of us have yet to sit down to make sure it's 100%. We're taking out of hospital birth classes taught by the lead author of this book. We'll also take some supplementary classes (CD, baby safety, and a relationship class for sure). I'm also doing a ton of reading/reflection about the emotional aspects of pregnancy, labor and the transition to motherhood. Considering this is my profession and the fact that I'm really enjoying being "on the other side," there's no chance of going in blind, but/and we're looking forward to preparing as a couple.

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

37 weeks and 1 day! I can't believe how fast it has gone.  I went in for my regular appt last Thursday and my blood pressure was very high for me, still on the low end for pre e.  They sent me to pre L and D to monitor my BP, ultra sound and blood work.  Lovely way to spend Valentines day! ;)  Everything looked ok so I was put on moderate bed rest for the weekend.  Let's just say its extremely hard to get me on bed rest! Poor wife had to keep reminding me to relax.  Now today I am waiting for more blood work and my 24 hour urine test results to come back this afternoon.  If levels are too high, they are going to induce next week! Hopefully, everything is ok and I can keep baby in for a couple more weeks at least.  On top of that I am feeling a lot of pressure and some minor painful contractions.  I guess my body is finally preparing for the Olympics! 

Epidural!!!! :)

• Options

Coming up to 23 weeks, I am still amazed that I am actually pregnant. We can feel him from the outside now and he's a busy little bee. In a couple of weeks we transfer to a birth centre, I'm pretty excited, I hope that I don't risk out of their care. I love that I would be able to use a birthing tub and have a drug free labour and delivery along with true woman centred care. I'm feeling heavy and tight, my hips hurt in my sleep and I am paranoid that I will hurt the baby if I lie on my back, so I wake up every time I roll onto my back and reposition myself. Its tiring. I am thinking that I need a massage, some more exercise, and some healthier eating.

We are going to take classes through the birth centre that we're using. The classes are 'Natural Childbirth Preperation', 'Breastfeeding for Parents To Be', 'Newborn Care for Parents To Be' and 'Healthy Pregnancy'. I've also just received my Hypnobabies home study course, so I'll start that in the next few days.  

IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• Options

Whee! So many preggo ladies!  

I'm doing well.  37 weeks and full term is HERE!  Baby is wiggling around.  I'm a little nervous, but that is to be expected.  I'm just worried that he is okay, that his little self is normal.  Nothing to be done now, but stressful for me just the same. I'm about 1.5 cm dilated and my cervix is "soft and favorable." Awesome!

QOTD: We didn't do anything except read a ton.  My partner is pretty darn awesome to me and so I feel like she'll be okay having read her books.  I've had a baby before, and I did that without classes and it seemed to be just fine.  I've midwived about a hundred animal births and feel pretty happy with my knowledge of the mammalian birth experience.  I tend to just get all het up when I hear about epidurals and vacuums and things, so it is really better for me not focus on those things which are likely not even going to be used on me.  We did our hospital tour and loved the nurses we met.  We are so stoked.  The main tour nurse thought we were awesome, which makes us happy. I really want to take them cookies when we get there.   

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Options

Tomorrow I am 13 weeks! So exciting - it feels like I've been pregnant forever, like Christmas/the holidays were 9 months ago! We got our Mat21 test back and all checked out, and on Friday we found out we are having a boy! We also announced on Facebook, which was exciting for both of us :). Here's the little annonucement we used:

Since the shoes were part of our little reveal at home, we did the somewhat overdone "shoe thing" though our cat Manny jazzed it up a little for us. I'm excited for Tri2! :) More energy, more exercise, belly showing, etc.

We are doing hospital childbirth education classes with the same teacher Joy is using for her non-hospital classes. We have a doula hired, and our caregivers are midwives. I'm hoping for a med-free birth but I'm open to being in the moment and mostly just want to feel that good decisions are made for good reasons, not for the convenience of the hospital. I'm scared of an epidural - but I won't say never. I'm trying to be balanced and not set myself up for disappointment in myself if I don't/can't 'achieve' my ideal birth. Otherwise, walks around Greenlake (~3 miles) plus prenatal yoga class and soon a little more exercise with weights is happening; also, I got the book Sacred Pregnancy which I'm using to do journaling and reflecting. It's a nice week-by-week guide. I'm keeping a blog as well that I will turn into a printed book at the end for the baby as a keepsake of his time in utero! :)

Excited to see all of your updates! Have a great week!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options

Hello Everyone, 

I am 12 weeks and 5 days today, and we haven't really told many people because we tried for such a long time to get pregnant and had so many disappointing experiences along the way that I haven't really allowed myself to celebrate yet. I don't know how pregnant I'll have to be and how good the test results have to be until I can feel more secure and confident and embrace the process. I just turned 40, and we used my wife's egg. Although I really wanted to produce an offspring of my loins (simply because I always wanted to be a mother), I got over that pretty quickly and love the idea that we can both participate in this way. I am so happy to be the birth mom and to have my wife by the biological mom, and thank goodness for technology! We recently found out we are having a boy, and we are excited but also very nervous because I just don't know much about taking care of boys since I most of my relatives are women. 

I just had my NT scan last week and everything looks good except the did see a bleed somewhere by the placenta. So in between the time the ultrasound tech mentioned it, and the time the doctor came into the room, I had looked up every possible imaginable horrible thing that can happen on my iPhone and convinced myself that my placenta will simply detach any day now and crush our hopes.  The funny thing is that I am a therapist, and I had no idea that I was capable of being such a pessimistic hypochondriac because I have always prided myself on my optimism. I think it is because the failed IUIs and the failed IVFs leading up to this pregnancy were the first real challenges to my tendency to assume the best and that everything will always work out. So it is working out, but my injured optimism is having a difficult time catching up. So the Dr. came into the room and took a closer look at the bleed, and I swear she said that my placenta is low-lying and that there was a little tear in it--which fed my fears about placenta abruptia and all the other things I had been cramming while waiting for the doctor to come in. But the doctor said not to worry and not to change any of my activities and that everything is fine and that it is most likely that the bleed will stop as everything grows and pushes upward. While I heard her say this, I just kept thinking (It will detach, and any now day now I will find that I am bleeding). So my wife and I left the exam with completely different perspectives (me: "The sky is falling! I could have a miscarriage any moment!" she: "Everything looks great and thank goodness no Down's Syndrome! Can't wait for the second trimester 3D u/s!!"). Yes, I am being completely and totally neurotic about this pregnancy. Anytime I feel a twinge, I think, "Oh, here comes the miscarriage." It's messed up, I know. So I am trying to stay positive, but it is a battle because this is so important to me and my wife.

My nausea has not subsided but as soon as it does, I am heading to prenatal yoga and resuming long walks in the hills with my dog. I am a big, huge wimp, so I am not even trying for natural childbirth and will welcome the epidural. We are planning on taking some birth classes later in the pregnancy.  

I hope I haven't bummed anyone out. Since I haven't told that many people, I haven't had much of a chance to air my fears, so I am probably taking liberties here. 

I love reading about everyone's progress!!! That makes me optimistic!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ok, how about "better late then never?" lol. 

We are 33 weeks pregnant, 34 weeks tomorrow. Things are going along as to be expected I suppose. A is working long hours, she is a PT and walks about 5 miles a day. So with this extra belly she is carrying around you can imagine that by the time she gets home she is DONE. 

We are hoping that her job will bring on labor once she is close enough. They say walking helps right lol. Her biggest fear right now is her water breaking at work!

Ash 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"