Military Families
Options

XP: Renting a house vs Luxury apartment

DH is Coast Guard. We are slated to transfer next June. Our last two transfers we've rented houses. We currently pay probably too much then we should for the house we have (we wanted a house with a fenced backyard for our dog) Our next move we most likely wont be staying the entire 3-4 years since DH will be moving up in rank while we are there, so we'll probably get moved again early.

I've been thinking about possibly renting a nice luxury apartment next time to take advantage of amenities for DD (pool, playground, etc). The only negative would be having to take the dog out to go to the bathroom frequently. I also think that renting a luxury apartment would be cheaper then a house (and it wouldn't be for a full 4 years most likely).

WWYD?

Re: XP: Renting a house vs Luxury apartment

• Options

Our last 2 places we lived in were townhouses without fenced in yards and we hated it.  We weren't even supposed to chain the dogs up outside at all, so we were supposed to walk them every time they went out to pee.  We probably did a 50/50 split of out back and walking, but our dogs were severely lacking exercise.  We constantly had to go to dog parks and long walks to feel better for them.  Now that we bought a house at our current station with a large fenced yard, we pretty much refuse to go back to no fenced yard.

If you could get a ground floor apartment or a townhouse you might be willing to tolerate it for the perks.  But honestly with a dog I would never want to live in anything where I couldn't just open the door and let him out.   

• Options
    imageBeachy730:

Our last 2 places we lived in were townhouses without fenced in yards and we hated it.  We weren't even supposed to chain the dogs up outside at all, so we were supposed to walk them every time they went out to pee.  We probably did a 50/50 split of out back and walking, but our dogs were severely lacking exercise.  We constantly had to go to dog parks and long walks to feel better for them.  Now that we bought a house at our current station with a large fenced yard, we pretty much refuse to go back to no fenced yard.

If you could get a ground floor apartment or a townhouse you might be willing to tolerate it for the perks.  But honestly with a dog I would never want to live in anything where I couldn't just open the door and let him out.   

This is what I wanted to hear. Someone with experience. Thanks!

Our last house had a backyard but it wasn't fenced, so we know that feeling as well which is why we wanted a fenced yard this time.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would start walking your dog now, tons, and see how you feel about it. We lived in housing for 3.5 years that didn't have a fence, and like Beachy, we weren't allowed to tie out. I walked them exclusively 3-5 times a day, with at least one of those being a long walk, and after 3.5 years, it got old! But there were pros too. They ended up being better trained because of all the exercise and attention, I was more in tune to their health and knew when my older dog was sick with stomach cancer right away, and we were all more fit because of it. :) 

This time, I insisted on a fence. And guess what, I still walk the one we still have 3-5 times a day. But it's nice to know the fence is there if I need to be able to just let him out.

Try it out now, and see how it actually works with your lifestyle. It might help you make a better decision. 

• Options
    Oh, I just saw your response to Beachy. So you already know what it's like to walk them all the time. For me, the fence is worth the extra money, even if I still walk him. 
  • Options
    not having a fenced yard was horrible for me. especially because we lived somewhere where it snowed. also i hate sharing walls and if there is another dog on the other side of the wall they might possibly torment your dog, my parents dog who NEVER barked before moved into a condo and it because a barking dog because of all the other dogs in the building. also, every time my niece and nephew wanted to go out to play they had to lug all of their toys outside they couldnt just go on the back porch. house is the way to go with a dog and kids. find a neighborhood with a community playground and pool!

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options

We have only lived in houses, but I really considered an apartment or townhouse this time. What swayed me to keep with a house is that I'll have two kids pretty soon, and I want the convenience of walking right out the door and getting in my car. I also didn't want to deal with bringing groceries for a family of four into an apartment while also dealing with 2 kids (and no help from DH when he deploys).

When I arrived here (without DH), DS and I were in the Navy Lodge for a few weeks - I hated having to lug stuff in from the car to our hotel room

So, I'm not speaking from experience of living in an apartment, but those are the reasons I chose NOT to look at apartments.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Once you've had a fenced in backyard for your dog, it's hard to go back!

We had a fenced in yard and a doggie door two houses ago.  It was heaven.  It was so nice since I was pregnant and then had a newborn while I lived there (DH lived there for about six weeks of the 16 months I lived there due to training and deployment).  Our next two places have been townhouses and we have had to walk our dog. (It is literally written into our current lease that our dog is not to use the garden to pee or poop.). DH is deployed again and having to walk the dog all the time sucks.  

I can understand wanting amenities for your family, but there will be a big trade off with having to walk the dog.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice ladies. The lugging groceries, etc has really opened my eyes. Plus, we are TTC #2 so that would be two LOs to deal with. I appreciate your experiences.

• Options
    I think it would be extremely annoying to have to take the dog out with having a baby too. I would say house, especially if you're going to be there for a while. 
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"