May 2012 Moms
Options

How big of a bite

Hello all, I'll probably get lots of laughs for this, and that's ok. I am super paranoid about choking and so I only give DD little bites of solid foods. About the size of a pea. DH makes fun of me as do most of my aunts, saying that she'll be on purees at 3 y.o. I am just so worried about her choking. I mainly give her really soft foods like pancakes, eggs, cheese, yogurt.....DH gives her much bigger bites than I do, and she does ok. What are you feeding your LO's lately and do you let them self feed? I'm worried if I let her self feed then she'll start shoveling food into her mouth and choke.

Re: How big of a bite

• Options

We do BLW so LO self feeds. We were worried about choking too, and in all the time that LO has been feeding himself, we've only seen the start of choking once. He did gag on his food a lot in the beginning, but I feel like gagging is part of the learning process of eating like falling is part of the learning process of crawling, standing, and walking.

In order to actually choke, LO would have to over ride their gag reflex and swallow something too big, since the gag reflex is pretty strong when they're this little, LO has learned how to manage his food so he doesn't gag and now I don't worry at all because he's learned to either chew and swallow or gag the food back up and either spit it out or chew it some more. 

• Options
    We do big pieces of food so that LO can feed himself. He loves it. I hand him half of a banana and he goes to town. He also eats toast sticks, nontoasted pieces of bread, strips of cheese slices,big strips of avocado and ripe pair, big slices of cantelope....LO sucks off or bites off pieces in the size that he can handle.  He gags occasionally but (knock on wood) has always managed to work it out himself.  I get more nervous with small pieces, like small blueberries, that I feel could get caught in his throat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They are far less likely to choke now than after a year when their gag reflex moves farther back.

Yes they shovel a lot in yes they gag and yes they learn not to do it again.

Lucas gets most foods cut into long thin strips or half inch squares same size as I cut my two year olds food. I plop it on his tray spreading it out so it's not all in a pile and let him pick it up and feed himself. Been doing this since 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    Thansk ladies, I'm going to be brave tonight and offer larger pieces of food and start letting her feed herself. She does fine with puffs so I'm sure it'll be ok.
  • Options
    grated cheese and grated fruit like apple or pear is great to start self feeding with... it's easier on mama's nerves and easy for baby to grasp handfuls to put in their mouths.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"