Adoption
Options

One Day at a Time

My DH and I were TTC for 3+ years when I received a phone call that a distant relative was considering adoption and would like us to adopt her son. After I stopped shaking, DH and I decided this would be a wonderful way to start our family. We couldn't be more excited but the journey between now and May 1st (the due date) seems overwhelming. Home study, lawyers, baby preparation, etc. Then when to tell friends and family, when to finalize plans with work, what gets put in to motion before and what to wait until after in case something goes wrong. More importantly I want to make sure we are doing everything right for the BM but how?

My closest friend gave me great advice and told me to take everything one day at a time but I still feel like I could use a bit more advice. Any advice would be much appreciated.  

Re: One Day at a Time

• Options
    Congrats to you and your husband. What wonderful news! I sincerely hope that it all works out for the best for you and BM. I think that the advice that your friend gave you is the best, take everything one day at a time. It took me a while to get that concept because it is all so overwhelming at first. My advice would be to do your research, read everything you can get your hands on, educate yourself on the process, keep a support system close for when you get overwhelmed, and breathe. We decided to keep it quiet until we were homestudy approved, just in case anything went wrong, but it really is a personal decision. Enjoy the ride, even though at times it can be bumpy. My best advice for helping BM is to just be supportive and trust that she will make the best decision for herself and her baby. I'm sure you will do a great job. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Two recommendations:

1-  Make sure the Emom is receiving counseling so she feels sure on her decision.  This is important.  While she can always change her mind, she needs to think through the harder aspects of adoption.

2-  It sounds like adoption is new to you.... so read :)  Understanding modern adoption  and children that thrive in adoptive homes is important.  You'll be surprised how many outdated stereotypes drive other people's advice :)  Become your own adoption expert! 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"