Adoption

Vent and some possibly useful information about SS#

So, we have been trying to get our DD's SS# so we can file our taxes.  We really don't want to go through the headaches/costs of amending our return later or trying to get an extension.  But we don't have DD's new BC yet and probably won't for a few more months.

I called the Social Security Office several times, and after holding for crazy amounts of time, talked to 3 different reps.  I was really trying to get information before having to drive out there..I was told the Social Security policies state "if the adoptive parents' names are not on the birth certificate, the adoption decree is sufficient to establish a SS#."   

I read that the wait times are really crazy so DH actually took the afternoon off work so he could watch DD while I went.  When I got there, I got stuck in a main road because the parking lot was so full and there were no spots left.  I was stuck circling the parking lot for 20 minutes before finally finding something.  I nearly offered to pay someone sitting in their car to give me their spot, lol!

Then I walk in and it is packed...standing room only...there is a security guard with a gun telling people where to go and what to do...trying to keep people calm after their long waits I guess.  They were calling tickets based on what services they needed so there was no particular order.  There were a ton of different areas to go to, so when your ticket got called, you had to listen for what "color" hallway to go to and what "number" window to go to.  Totally insane.  After almost 2 more hours of waiting, my ticket got called.   I knew that if they said they couldn't help me, I might just break down and cry.  The thought of going through this again once the new BC arrives, no way!  Unfortunately, the lady did tell me that without the new BC, she couldn't issue a new number.  When she tried to pull up the old number, there was nothing.  DD's BM never filed for a number.  After having a total break-down, the SS employee said she would look back at the policy when she had time and give me a call.

Luckily, she did call me back and they are able to most likely get DD's SS# by verifying her original BC with the adoption decree.  Ugh, crazy stuff..but thanks for letting me vent!

So, I know it's different in every state/county, but if any of you are trying to get this taken care of, maybe this is a little helpful to you! 

Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Vent and some possibly useful information about SS#

• In future, you can get an ATIN number, which is good for two years. It' an adoption taxpayer ID number. This will cover the time til you get the amended birth cert and allow you to file taxes. We did this with our son.

ETA: you can do this by mail too.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• I actually did apply for it but they had told me that they wouldn't give me an ATIN if I was able to get a SS#, so I had to try both.  Hopefully the ATIN comes through in time, in case this SS# stuff doesn't work out.  Had I known, I would have applied for it as soon as I got DD's Adoption Decree!

Thanks! 

Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you had to deal with that. We were insanely lucky when it came to SS stuff for DD, but I was prepared for the nightmare I endured when I got married! I'm glad you had someone actually call you back and get it sorted out. Spending hours at the SSA office is no fun.

FWIW, the security guard with the gun is pretty standard for the SSA office. Even the quiet one I went to had one. Cushiest job ever ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"