Postpartum Depression

Not again.

I just had my ds 4 days ago and I'm already feeling depressed and its not baby blues it's way worse. I had this happen with my last pregnancy and I didn't do anything about it mostly because I didn't want to take something to make me feel normal.

It feels way worse this time and I'm better at talking about it with my FI but is this something I should bring up with my OB at my 6 week appointment? And any recommendations on how to not feel like this?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Not again.

• If you're feeling that bad you should see your doctor NOW, don't wait another 6 weeks.
  • I will do that. I guess I'm just embarrassed to talk about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It sounds like you already know what to do. I understand feeling embarrassed. I always felt like I needed to be able to do everything right and be able to take care of my babies unassisted because that was the expectation I placed on myself. But the truth is that I need help. The meds help me. If you know they will help you, then why not? When it comes down to it, It's not about you being better for you, it's about you being better for the baby.
  • Very true. Thank you for the kind words. It feels good to talk about this with my FI and I sorta talked to his mom about it who told me she had it also. But it's nice to talk to others who really understand what's going on.
  • Depression is not something to mess around with. And taking something to feel "normal" is not a bad thing.

There's such a stigma about taking medicine for depression/anxiety and it irritates me. This is a PHYSICAL problem. There are nerves in your brain that are not making the right connections, and all the hormones that your body is trying to regulate are not helping.

It's not a weakness to need medication for depression. It's a sign of strength to recognize that something is not right, that your body isn't processing things that way it's supposed to.

If you got diabetes and needed insulin to regulate your body, would you feel bad about taking the insulin? I would hope you wouldn't. Taking medicine for depression is no different.

If you think you're feeling depressed, please, PLEASE reach out for help. This is coming from someone who let her depression get the best of her. I was too stubborn and almost lost my life because of it. Your baby and your family need you to get better! Hang in there mama. *hugs*

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"