December 2012 Moms
Options

Gripe Water

Hi Ladies, have any of you used gripe water? I googled it and there are a few different brands. My little guy fusses like his tummy is bothering him,he hunches up,screams and gets horrible hiccups. I have tried the gas drops and they seem to bring him some relief but I was wondering if anyone can recommend the gripe water?

Some days he is just fine and others (like today) he would go from smiling and cooing to full on screaming. From 7 am-1pm it was pretty much crying with maybe 10 minute breaks in between.. It seemed to soothe him if I rubbed his belly so it leads me to believe it was hurting him or bothering him.

So, I thought maybe the gripe water might help?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Re: Gripe Water

• Options
    DD and DS when he was little gets hiccups so bad she throws up sometimes. I use gripe water as needed and really appreciate that it's all natural. I have been lucky though that my kids don't seem to get upset tummies, so I can't say how well it works for that.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Best stuff ever! It calms and puts my LO to sleep within 5 mins of giving it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank ladies,what brand/brands do you recommend? Also, do they sell it at regular drug stores like Walgreens/CVS or Walmart? We live in a small town and shopping is limited.

imageimage

• Options
    I like the gripe water a lot better than the gas drops. It seems to relax her tummy better and definitely puts her to sleep for a while. I don't feel as guilty about giving it to her so often since it's all natural. We use Colic Calm brand. I think DH found it at CVS. It's color is extremely black and you have to have burp cloths nearby when giving it to them or can get all over their clothes. It hasn't stained anything yet though if you put shout on it and get in the wash right away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Also, keep in mind that if you use the colic calm brand, it may turn your LO's poop black. It's totally fine, just shocking the first time you see it if you haven't read the fine print!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageLGalipp19:
    I like the gripe water a lot better than the gas drops. It seems to relax her tummy better and definitely puts her to sleep for a while. I don't feel as guilty about giving it to her so often since it's all natural. We use Colic Calm brand. I think DH found it at CVS. It's color is extremely black and you have to have burp cloths nearby when giving it to them or can get all over their clothes. It hasn't stained anything yet though if you put shout on it and get in the wash right away.

Thanks, I might try and pick up a few brands and see what works best.  BTW,your little girl is adorable!

imageimage

• Options
    I use Mother's Best or something like that. I haven't used it for fussiness, but it's amazing for her hiccups.

Have you considered gas drops? I think those work very well when she has stubborn gas or bubbles.
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageamberdb72:
    Thank ladies,what brand/brands do you recommend? Also, do they sell it at regular drug stores like Walgreens/CVS or Walmart? We live in a small town and shopping is limited.
    I currently have the CVS brand. Most stores that carry antacids or baby aspirin would probably carry it drug stores, pharmacy dept of Target, Walmart, etc. I normally get whichever brand is cheapest.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My LO gets bad gas that he can't easily pass. He was waking himself up in pain. We have been using gripe water for about 4 days and it has made a huge difference. We got the CVS brand and put it in his bottle. The directions say not to use it more than 6 times in 24 hours, so we just space the doses out at least 4 hours, and then depending on when his next bottle is. 
  • Options
    So about 3.5 weeks my little girl started exhibiting all the classic colic symptoms, tried gripe water and didn't seem to help. Over the next week was ongoing. We figured out she'd get like that before bubbbles would move thru intestines .... LOTS of bubbles, once it passed, she would instantly calm for a few moments to minutes until the next build up. Giving her gas drops towards the end of each feeding helped works as a preventative. We figure the bubbles were getting stuck in the intestines and as pressure would build. After a week of being on the gas drops, she was doing better, so we spaced out the doses and decreased quantity and she was off them for a week before the next round of colic behaviors started again, and we restarted the gas drops and 3 hours later, it was obvious she wasnt in nearly as much pain from gas. We are guessing that the return of pressure build up occurs with growth spurts .... maybe the different segments take turns growing?

Used Gripe Water when LO had really bad hiccuping and it seemed to help witb that. Have read Gripe Water better for stomach related troubles and gas drops for intestines. There are also Hyland's Colic Tablets; friend swears by them for her LO. I cant get them to dissolve in my gals mouth when she would need it because she's dried out her mouth from screaming.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I ended up getting the Little Remedies brand and he loved the taste. He also settled down and slept for  a 6 hour stretch last night and is currently napping in his swing :) Thanks for the recommendations ladies!

imageimage

• Options

imageamberdb72:
    I ended up getting the Little Remedies brand and he loved the taste. He also settled down and slept for  a 6 hour stretch last night and is currently napping in his swing :) Thanks for the recommendations ladies!

This is the brand I use. My DH tasted a drop of it, and said it tastes like flat sprite without the sweetness. LOL.

I wish this brand worked this well for me. However, I don't use the full amount, cause I feel like that is a LOT, so maybe it's my bad. LOL.  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    imageRissKay:

imageamberdb72:

This is the brand I use. My DH tasted a drop of it, and said it tastes like flat sprite without the sweetness. LOL.

I wish this brand worked this well for me. However, I don't use the full amount, cause I feel like that is a LOT, so maybe it's my bad. LOL.  

I know what you mean about the dosage seeming like a lot! I had to re-read the instructions a few times. But it worked wonders,that and the vodka/fresca drink I made myself after getting him to bed! After the day we had yesterday I really needed that drink!Stick out tongue

imageimage

• Options
    Gripe water really helps my kids!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"