TTC after 35
Options

CF test - freaking out

This is a XP from Secondary IF -  I'm sort of freaking out and would love as much input as possible

So apparently I never had the Cystic Fibrosis test until Day 3 of this cycle, the one where we did the IUI. i got a call today that I'm a carrier. Apparently if DH is a carrier, then our child has 25% chance of having CF. If DH is not a carrier, there is almost no chance of a child having it (reading conflicting things on this). He is going for the blood test today but they don't get the results for TEN DAYS. And in the meantime I cold find out I'm pregnant....Anyone else a carrier????

Re: CF test - freaking out

• Options

Take a deep breath!  I know 10 days is a long time to wait but try to think of it like this...if you do get a BFP and your DH's results come back negative for being a carrier then all you are doing by freaking out is putting un-needed stress on the LO you have tried so hard to create.  So just try to keep calm and think positive thoughts (I know, easier said than done but you have to try).

Me 39 & suspected PCOS, DH 42. Went off BCP when we got married in 11/11, seriously TTC since 3/12.  Six cycles of clomid = BFNs.  Suspected endometriosis & HSG showed both tubes blocked.  Sept 2013 IVF 5D transfer of two perfect embryos = BFN.  Started acupuncture and taking time off to drop some pounds & get healthier before FET in April 2014.
  • Options
    imagerobbensm:

Take a deep breath!  I know 10 days is a long time to wait but try to think of it like this...if you do get a BFP and your DH's results come back negative for being a carrier then all you are doing by freaking out is putting un-needed stress on the LO you have tried so hard to create.  So just try to keep calm and think positive thoughts (I know, easier said than done but you have to try).

Well said.......

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that all is well. Hoping for a BFP!  :)

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DH and I are both carriers.  We found out when I was PG with my DS.  My OB at the time, at the OB I have now, both of whom have been in practice for years, both have said that this is the first time they have ever had both parents come back as positive.  The chances are extremely remote of it happening, just due to the odds, assuming there is no history of CF in your DH's family.  If there is someone with CF in his family, obviously the odds of him being a carrier are a lot higher.

Of course, when we found out we were both carriers, I flipped out, but our DS did not get either of our CF genes so he is not even a carrier.

So, the chances of your DH being a carrier, if he is a Caucasian of European descent are something like one in 31.  If he is of another ethnicity, the chances are even smaller.  Then if you are both carriers, there is only a 25% chance your child will actually have CF.  So at this point the odds are in your favor.

Try to stay positive!

ETA: I just realized you are not PG yet...even if you both are carriers there is the possibility of doing IVF w/PGD to screen embryos for the CF gene.

• Options
    Thanks to all fo you.  i do feel better today, i think yesterday it was just unexpected and a shock but honestly things could be a lot worse and there are so many other things to worry about!  Like you all say, we don't know if DH is a carrier and even if he is that doesn't mean a child would have the disease.  lots to think about but first I'll wait to find ut if I'm rpegnant this weekend, then wait for DH's result, and go from there.  Appreciate the thoughts!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"