School-Aged Children
Options

Question about 2nd grade curriculum

Is it just me oR is the second grade primarily a complete repeat of the info they learrned in k and first grade. My daughter is bored out of her mind!!!  The school says go deeper in the material instead of actually allowing her to advance in the material. Ie nothing above 2 digit addition. And she's already in the gifted program. Anyone else have this kind of frustration?

Re: Question about 2nd grade curriculum

• Options
    Nope, I think my kiddo is learning a lot in second grade.  They have started the basics of multiplication in math, moved up 2 reading levels, have a big science project due next month and have learned lots in social studies.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

In our school the first quarter is used to review but otherwise new concepts are introduced the rest of the year.  Have you tried speaking with the teacher regarding giving your child more challenging work?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel like DD has learned a lot in 2nd grade.  They are doing 2 digit subtraction with borrowing and begin timed multiplication tests at an individual pace once they have passed their subtraction tests.  They are doing a lot of basic geometry...She has definitely advanced in reading as well.  I feel like social studies has focused a lot on geography.
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
  • Options

My school is switching to align with the CCSS (common core state standards) so some of the "1st grade repeated only deeper" is due changes in curriculum and philosophy.  I do think that some things are positive changes, but there are some things that are frustrating me as well.

I'm working with him at home to provide enrichment.  We've been doing a lot with fractions and the concept of division while he helps in the kitchen.  He's learning to touch type on the computer, because his handwriting is really labored.  We're reading The Lord Of The Rings trilogy out loud and discussing it.  Since we don't turn in the actual homework, just the homework log, I take a look at the actual assignment and if it's too easy for him, I modify it to make it more challenging.  So far, I have sold him on this by allowing him to use the computer for written work if he takes the "challenge option."  

Writing has always been his weakest skill, but he improved dramatically on his report card for 2nd quarter.  I think at least a little of that can be attributed to this extra practice! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

imageshopgirl78:
    Nope, I think my kiddo is learning a lot in second grade.  They have started the basics of multiplication in math, moved up 2 reading levels, have a big science project due next month and have learned lots in social studies.  

Yep, this.  I would expect every grade to build on the foundations they learned in KG and 1st, though.  

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

image3sthecharm:
    Is it just me oR is the second grade primarily a complete repeat of the info they learrned in k and first grade. My daughter is bored out of her mind!!!  The school says go deeper in the material instead of actually allowing her to advance in the material. Ie nothing above 2 digit addition. And she's already in the gifted program. Anyone else have this kind of frustration?

Yes. I was just going to post something about this. My daughter is also in second grade and I feel like everything she brings home is just more "review" of the stuff they did in 1st grade. They do add concepts, but it's very slowly, I feel like they go over the same thing for weeks at a time. She is bored. She is ahead multiple levels in reading and comprehension, and I don't know exactly what kind of work they do in school. She has two pages of math homework on Mon/Tues/Wed and that's all I see home from school.

I looked at her writing book from Kindergarten when we lived in NJ (we moved half-way through that school year to upstate NY), and I don't see any of that kind of work now. She used to love doing work at school and learning, reading, etc. but now she tells me she doesn't like to read. She doesn't like going to school. Her handwriting has gotten worse and she is very easily distracted, I believe from boredom. I think it's time for another parent/teacher conference to see what we can do to keep her from regressing even more. They don't do enough to keep her interested.

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"