Parenting
Options

CIO?

2»

Re: CIO?

• Options

imagenancy30005:
    Have y'all tried any sleep sacks?

Um, maybe? I am not sure tbh. We do have this pajama gown thing we put her in sometimes that doesn't have legs and it is closed on the bottom. So.. it is a sack.. and she does sleep in it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRockyTopVols:

Any advice on the swaddling? Do some babies just not like being swaddled? As mentioned before- it seems that if she can't get her hands to her face she freaks out.  

We left DD's legs free or else she'd kick or stretch out and pull the swaddle apart. So the second step of swaddling where you bring the bottom up and tuck it in, we just left that out.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ds refused to sleep anywhere but on me or DH.
    At 6 weeks we realized he had bad reflux.
    Napping got better. Night time, he started in his crib until he needed his first feed and then i would bed share for the rest of the night.
    It gets better! But i would rule out refluxand wait until at least 6 months before CIO.
  • Options
    imageRockyTopVols:

imagenancy30005:
    Have y'all tried any sleep sacks?

Um, maybe? I am not sure tbh. We do have this pajama gown thing we put her in sometimes that doesn't have legs and it is closed on the bottom. So.. it is a sack.. and she does sleep in it?

Yup! There are a couple of types. I loved the Swaddle Me (2nd image), too.

• Options

When it comes to reflux- how would we know? She doesn't spit up at all really. I think maybe twice in the last 6 weeks she has spit up. 

Would a lack of spit up rule out reflux or can reflux be present without that symptom? 

• Options

The 5 S's/Happiest Baby on the Block may save your life.  If you're too exhausted for reading comprehension, it comes on a DVD.

Also, in general, fussiness and needing to be held all the time seems to peak around 6 - 8 weeks.  Obviously every baby is different, but there's a decent chance that you're in the worst of it right now and things should ease up a bit soon.

The other book I like is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Weissbluth. When we did CIO with DS (around 6 months), we did more of a Ferber schedule than a Weissbluth extinction method.  BUT, I really like Weissbluth because it has chapters dedicated to different ages, so you can find problems and solutions that match with what you're going through.  Some of his naptime tips were also pretty helpful (like the idea that your naptime routine and your bedtime routine should be similar).

You guys will get through it - I promise!

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    imageRockyTopVols:

Any advice on the swaddling? Do some babies just not like being swaddled? As mentioned before- it seems that if she can't get her hands to her face she freaks out.  

DS1 hated being swadlled and was much happier with his hands free. he did like the blanket tight around his body and legs, just not the arms.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • Options
    imageRockyTopVols:
    When it comes to reflux how would we know? She doesn't spit up at all really. I think maybe twice in the last 6 weeks she has spit up.nbsp;Would a lack of spit up rule out reflux or can reflux be present without that symptom?nbsp;

Reflux can be "silent" when they don't spit up. If she is arching her back and crying when you lay her down, that is one sign, laying flat on their back makes it worse, therefore, you holding her, would put her in a reclining position, on her belly or more upright like in the carrier, making her feel better.
  • Options
    imageallierhiana1:

+1 for Happiest Baby on the Block

ETA : I didn't read the book, only watched the video on Amazon. 

Dh would watch the video while he was swaddling the girls to make sure he was swaddling them correctly.

He became a master at it and even showed his friends how to properly swaddle when his friends had their newborns. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    imageMrsEll:
    imagekj07:

The other book I like is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Weissbluth. When we did CIO with DS (around 6 months), we did more of a Ferber schedule than a Weissbluth extinction method.  BUT, I really like Weissbluth because it has chapters dedicated to different ages, so you can find problems and solutions that match with what you're going through.  Some of his naptime tips were also pretty helpful (like the idea that your naptime routine and your bedtime routine should be similar).

A lot of people recommended this book when DS was born. If you do read it, be prepared for some supershitty writing. I found this book so disorganized and almost unreadable. And in the end, I felt like he was recommending a version of CIO anyway. But again, some people insisted that it worked for them. I'm just one person. Blablabla

I agree with the bolded 100%.  It was unreadable for DH because he can't skip around in a book.   For me, I'm okay with skipping around and skimming and reading chapter 6 without reading chapter 5 (sacrilege for DH).  I did really like that I could go straight to the section that I was dealing with and find problems and solutions that were targeted towards my age group.

Ferber is much better organized, but it's lacking the age-specific part.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    imageMrsEll:

DS was a pretty big baby, and his one leg stuck straight out for a while because of his breech position, so we had a hard time swaddling him with a blanket. We eventually had a lot of success with the swaddle-me sleep sacks. We still had to rock him to sleep, but he would stay asleep longer when wrapped up in that.

When he started rolling over we couldn't swaddle anymore, so we were faced with the same problem all over again. That's when the Magic Sleep Suit helped.

We did the same thing: swaddle until DD rolled over (~4-1/2m) and then went to the Baby Merlin Magic Sleep Suit (she came out of that around 9m old) and started sleeping as a free range kiddo. 

In our case our DD was so tiny that we used a velcro style swaddle (a SwaddleMe IIRC) and then a Woombie overtop because we couldn't get the velcro one tight enough (because then the velcro wouldn't line up anymore) and the Woombie was too loose on it's own.  Lucky for us she wore this double blanket set-up during the winter months so it worked really well keeping her nice and warm too.

ETA: We got a Homedics White noise machine (similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-SS-2000F-Relaxation-Machine-Nature/dp/B00A2JBMRE/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1359666776&sr=1-1) when she was about a month old and are still using it every nap and nighttime (her room is on the street side of the house so we wanted it to drown out the car noises etc.).  If we forget to turn it on now, she reminds us to do it or turns it on herself when she wants to let her stuffed animals have a "nap" in her room.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ds would sleep great when we put a heating pad on low I. His crib, let it warm the bed and when I went to lay him down I of course took the pad out. Helped him go from warm me to warm bed.nalso had a thick book or two under the top of his mattress to have it elevated a but. Also he was swaddled! Swaddled till 4 month, did CIO at 6 1/2! Cio saved my sanity, but 6 weeks is sooooo young, no no. I also tried not to get in the easy habit of holding him when he slept so he wouldn't get used to it and only sleep that way, try the 5 ss and swaddle. Also the white noise is great, we used a floor fan. 
  • Options
    6 weeks is rough. We just fed DS when he woke up, cuddled him when he cried, and did what we had to do.
  • Options
    imageCinemaGoddess:

No.

Don't CIO yet. 

She's too little.

Do you do the 5 S's?

Yes

• Options
    imageRockyTopVols:

We do have Netflix so we may stream this tonight.

Looks like we will try the 5 S thing. I think we both agree with CIO this young is a no-no, and we both agreed to that before the baby was born.

But thinking about/planning before baby is here and actually living through it are two way different things lol.  

I think, unfortunately, some babies might not like being swaddled.  We used the Miracle Blanket and loved it, but if your daughter doesn't like to be swaddled it probably wouldn't be the best choice.

White noise also worked wonders for us. It helped calm him down and also helped him stay asleep longer.

Good luck! 

DS 3/11 * CP 6/12 * BFP 12/10/12, EDD 8/20/13
    Pic3
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    RTV, dude, you have a newborn! They suck at sleeping unless you give them what they want. You got some great advice from everyone here. I doubt a woman asking the same question would have gotten such good advice. She probably would have been ripped a new one for even considering CIO for a newborn. You are a lucky man! Good luck. And, treasure the days she is needing you close by, they are fleeting. I know easier said than done.
  • Options

H & I call the 5th-6th week HeII Week.  The new baby novelty has worn off, you're more tired than you've ever been, they're going through a growth spurt, and they don't even fricking smile at you yet.  

With our first we bought a new recliner because otherwise no one was sleeping.  

As long as you've ruled out medical concerns, reflux, MSPI, ear infections etc, you've just won the colic baby lottery.   

5S's are good.  So are babysitters.  (Even if it's just for an hour or two so you can both shower and nap in peace.)

image   image

• Options

imagesuv75:
    RTV, dude, you have a newborn! They suck at sleeping unless you give them what they want. You got some great advice from everyone here. I doubt a woman asking the same question would have gotten such good advice. She probably would have been ripped a new one for even considering CIO for a newborn. You are a lucky man! Good luck. And, treasure the days she is needing you close by, they are fleeting. I know easier said than done.
    I don't think he didn't get ripped into because he was a man.  He stated in the beginning that he thought the advice to CIO was wrong & was looking for feedback on that, including other options. 

ETA wordzzz

• Options
    imageJET29:
    imageRockyTopVols:

We do have Netflix so we may stream this tonight.

Looks like we will try the 5 S thing. I think we both agree with CIO this young is a no-no, and we both agreed to that before the baby was born.

But thinking about/planning before baby is here and actually living through it are two way different things lol.  

I think, unfortunately, some babies might not like being swaddled.  We used the Miracle Blanket and loved it, but if your daughter doesn't like to be swaddled it probably wouldn't be the best choice.

White noise also worked wonders for us. It helped calm him down and also helped him stay asleep longer.

Good luck! 

I second the Miracle Blanket.  DD would fight her way out of any other swaddle, but she would really calm down with the Miracle Blanket.  I have given them out as gifts to new parents because I was so thrilled with how well it worked.

• Options

Do you have a Rock and Play? That thing was a lifesaver for us. It allowed DS to sleep on his back but be elevated and cozy so he wasn't flat which he hated.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hey RTV, you're doing a great job! Newborns are just crazy little monsters!
  • Options
    imagejustAphase:

People can have 10 kids and still be idiots about parenting. 

Babies are f?cking hard at 6 weeks. M wouldn't sleep anywhere but on my chest. It sucks, but it gets better. Kinda. Then it gets worse again, and then better.  

This is so true. We just had a sleep regression this week and DS is 3 1/2 years old.

TTC#2 since December 2010. HSG and bloodwork all good. SA results not so good. Unmedicated IUI#1 6/19/2012 - BFN
  • Options
    DD was like this for the first few weeks. She didn't seem to like being swaddled at first, but we stuck with it and she learned to love it. When she started breaking out of a regular swaddle we did the escape-proof swaddle. She slept swaddled in her RockNPlay with a paci and a fan on for white noise until we moved her to her crib and did a little cry it out at 6 months. Some babies just don't like sleeping flat. B still won't sleep on her back, she is always on her side or stomach.
  • Options
    I haven't read PPs, but she's way too young.  Even the CIO experts (Ferber, etc.) say 4 months at the earliest, but even better at 6 months.  I did CIO with DS when he was 10 months.  There just came a time when it felt like the right way to go.

• Options
    imageLuckyDad:

imageMollusksWrangler:
    Some kids don't like the swaddle, my daughter acted like we were torturing her when we wrapped her up .

DS hated being wrapped up, but surrendered pretty quick once he was all wrapped up.

No way, Henry would have tolerated being swaddled. It wasnt fussing and then giving in. It was serious purple faced screaming the entire time he was swaddled. Mollusk and Hen are both high needs babies, I think its just a sensory issue with them. Swaddling isn't always the answer. But CIO at this age is NEVER the answer.

Have you tried a RNP? That thing saved my sanity.  

imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Options

DS loved being swaddled. DD hated it and preferred to be on one of us.

CIO is neglect at this age. she is communicating in the only way she possibly can. respond to her cues as best as you can. it is very hard but it is not forever. if you are waiting until she is screaming like crazy for awhile, that is way late and she is already internally stressed.

you have gotten some great advice here already. if you find she has colic or reflux, we found "Colic Calm" helped her a lot. You can get that at most health food stores, some pharmacies may have it.

it's very hard during the first few months. hang in there!

• Options
    Try to go as cold turkey as you can with sleeping on you and stick as much to sleeping in places where you want her to sleep.  Don't CIO yet for several more months.
  • Options
    Does your wife nurse? At that age, I nursed DS to sleep, waited 10 minutes and put him down in his crib. Some people might tell you that's creating a bad sleep association, but I had no problem breaking that in 2 days with Ferber at 5 months.

The 5 S's are awesome. Did anyone mention yet that you should be doing them all at the same time?

Also, DS seemed to hate the swaddle until we tried it with an A&A blanket. Then we learned that we just sucked at doing it with the smaller blankets. We used the Velcro thingy for months. He fought it sometimes, but slept so much better with it. I remember testing to see if he was ready to go without it at one point and he woke himself up with those crazy jerking arms after like 20 minutes.

• Options

I did CIO when DS was just shy of a year old. It was agonizing and I doubt I could have hacked it any sooner. It was really quite painless, in reality, and each night lasted less than 8 minutes. 

It has been a while since I read literature, but I don't believe experts advocate CIO until closer to 4 months?

At 6 weeks old, she still does need you for everything. She cannot self soothe at this age. She's also hitting a growth spurt around this time, so she is hungry a lot.

Push through it- she wants to sleep on your wife or you because you are warm and you smell good and she can hear your heartbeat. No one said parenting wasn't tiring.

Do you have a sleep sheep or some other womb sound machine? I thought it was great for DS. In fact, we still use it :)

• Options

I am so not reading all the previous comments.

CIO is for infants who have a way to self soothe, like suck their thumb, and it requires some consciousness of their surroundings. You have a few months to go. At this time, if she cries for a minute or less even, someone should pick her up and see to her needs.

You may have gotten enough flames. I wont add to them.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Options
    I'm the 100th comment!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No CIO. Research has proven it to be detrimental to babies' health. Google 4th trimester and check out the Happiest Baby on the Block. It will give you some insight into what she is going through. This world is knew and scary for her. She is used to be "held" in her mommy's womb 24/7. You need to help her transition-do what you need to help her sleep-sleep with her (there are ways to safely co-sleep, wear her etc.) You will raise a healthy, happy, confident baby by doing this. Both of my girls did this and I did NOT let them CIO. I responded to their needs. We co-slept until they were ready to sleep alone. They are now happy, confident, outgoing children who sleep just fine alone in their beds. This too shall pass.
  • Options
    6 weeks is too young to CIO.

I had to rock DS for all sleep and hold him for the first 5 months. Now, I can get away with just holding him, but I have to hold him for his entire nap. Parenting isn't about what's convenient for you. You just don't let your six week old child scream because your arms are tired. Christ.

That said, DS had colic. He would scream if he wasn't being held constantly. I wore him, napped with him, whatever I needed to do. Around 4 months, he grew out of it and now he only cries if he's hungry or tired.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"