Natural Birth

Evening Primrose Oil

A mom on my BMB credited this with not tearing.  I am VERY interested in not tearing :)  Can anyone tell me the benefits of EPO, how to use it and were to get it?  I am 38 weeks and 2 days so that ship may have sailed, but if not, I would love more info.

Thanks ladies! 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

Re: Evening Primrose Oil

• As per my doula's advice... 

At 36 wks start taking 500mg 2 times/day - one tablet in the morning & one in the evening
    Then at 38 wks start inserting one tablet vaginally in the evening before bed...poke it with a pin prior to insertion so the gel comes out.

Since you are already 38 wks I would assume you can start taking it and inserting it at the same time...but I'm not 100% sure on that, but don't see why not?

You can get it at pretty much any health food type store. 
    She has had 4 children and NO TEARS some of which were over 8lbs...so I'd say it works. She also said a lot of not tearing has to do with controlled pushing through the crowning stages so you have time to stretch...lovely thought eh? 

Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My midwife also believed it to reduce tearing. I inserted vaginally starting about 36 or 37 weeks. I didn't tear at all, although whether that was due to the EPO, the waterbirth, my upright pushing position, or luck, I cannot say.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I took it and still tore :(

But, I only took it orally because the one time I inserted it vaginally I was so gooey I was uncomfortable. If you do decide to do decide to stick it up there, be sure to wear a pantiliner and be prepared to have more discharge/mucous than ever. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrsBigTime:

I took it and still tore :(

But, I only took it orally because the one time I inserted it vaginally I was so gooey I was uncomfortable. If you do decide to do decide to stick it up there, be sure to wear a pantiliner and be prepared to have more discharge/mucous than ever. 

Also...a friend of mine suggested using a Canesten applicator to insert the capsule of EPO. She said it helped get it "right up there" and seemed to reduce the amount that leaked out...pregnancy and it's many wonders :)  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Put it in before you go to bed so most of the dripping is contained. Some leaking is good though; it is the leaking out that coats the vagina and perineum with the oil, and thus reducing tearing in the future. Apparently.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I never heard of it helping to not tear.  Possibly because it is oil that has been shown to soften things up. 

I took it orally to help soften my cervix from 37 weeks on.  I don't really buy into the "making a salad down there" mentality.  I think exercise (kegels) and genetics are the two big factors in preventing tearing.  You really have to massage the perineum a lot to get it to the point its soft enough...

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• On another note, OP, sorry for your previous loss. 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"