Pre-School and Daycare

Bike pedaling

At what age did your kids do this on their own? DS will be 4 next week and still can't do this. I honestly never gave it any thought until a few friends were over last week with their kids (all about 6 months younger than DS) and they were all riding bikes with training wheels already. DS never liked his tricycle so we never pushed it but he does ride a 3 wheeled scooter on his own.

Re: Bike pedaling

• Thanks ladies. He got a bike with training wheels for Christmas and everytime we try and get him to pedal he do it maybe three times around and then he's done. Hopefully when the weather turns more mild we can get him out more often with it. I think part of the issue is that we had one of those tricycles with the push handle and he (and us) just got lazy!

• DS was pedaling his trike by 2 1/2, so I got him a 12" bike at 3 1/2 and he learned to pedal it right away.

If your DS wasn't interested in a trike, the main thing really holding him back from pedaling a bike is probably just lack of interest. I wouldn't worry. Once he wants to do it, he'll probably catch on pretty quickly.

• Loading the player...
  • DS got a bike with training wheels at 3.5 ...he's almost five and can peddle, but still gets tired out or frustrated occasionally

• my girls can't pedal...they don't get much opportunity to practice since we live on a super busy street with no sidewalks...we have a small patio that they could ride on - but they didn't bother attempting it much.  My parents got them big wheels to keep at their house - so I figure they will get there this spring/summer (with practice of course) I'm not worried.
  • I think Annalise was around 4 yo when she started really being interested in pedaling. She got a bike with training wheels for her 3rd birthday, but we never road it much. Somewhere between 4-5 years she figured it out, although she still hasn't gotten down the balance thing. She needed training wheels last summer at 6 yo, and I assume she will still need them this summer.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • DD#1- wouldn't pedal so we got her a balance bike at 3.  By 4 she'd pedal on trikes, at 5 we got her a 2 wheeler, no training wheels and she took off like a pro.

DD#2 was pedaling before she was 2.

DS- He is 3.5 and will not pedal.  At all.  If I'm around.  I mentioned it to his teacher a couple weeks ago and she seemed confused and then sent me a video of him racing with the boys on trikes, using pedals.  I showed him the video then presented his trike and he did like he always does- leaned forward and ran- really fast.  He does that at home exclusively.  In his other life, he actually can.  

So 1- they're all different.  2- could be preference.  If you want him playing with friends, I'd get him a balance bike.    

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My oldest and middle son were both 3 when they started pedaling their tricycles. My youngest still uses his feet.

But he cruises on his two wheeled scooter. Go figure.

In the spring we are going to put the training wheels if we can find them on one of his brothers old bikes or get him a bike with training wheels... I think he just does not want to ride a tricycle since both his brothers are on two wheels.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • My just turned 3 year old can pedal a tricycle, bike, big wheel.

My 5.5 year old rides without training wheels however my 7.5 year old does not : )  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD was 4;  she really had no interest until then;  started her on a tricycle and within 2 months she was using a training wheel bike;  starting on the tric was easier cuz she would back pedal alot and was frustrated with the training wheeler--so we put it away for a while and concentrated on the tric
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Not all kids like to ride bikes. My DS was riding a trike at 2.5 but cannot ride a 2wheeler without training wheels at 6 because he does not want it enough.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • DD has been riding a bike since abut age 2. This summer we are going to try without training wheels! We tried a little last fall she did ok but felt better with them on.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  

• My 4 yo DD can easily pedal her tricycle by herself (and has for at least a year); she got a bike last spring and she can pedal it, but it definitely takes more effort and she ends up asking for help after a few minutes.  I'm not sure why the bike is more work than the trike at this point, but for my sake, I tend to suggest the trike. 

She's OK on the big wheel too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DS got a trike when he was 2.5 and it took him about 2 week to learn to pedal it.

Does he get time to try this? Try it for a few days and he might pick it right up. GL.

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagekpips20:
    Thanks ladies. He got a bike with training wheels for Christmas and everytime we try and get him to pedal he do it maybe three times around and then he's done. Hopefully when the weather turns more mild we can get him out more often with it. I think part of the issue is that we had one of those tricycles with the push handle and he (and us) just got lazy!

We have the push trikes for each of our girls, too, and for us it actually helped DD1 learn to pedal. I unlocked the pedals so that when I was pushing her trike the pedals would move, and she would rest her feet on the pedals. Once she was used to the motion of pedaling, we took the push handle off and let her try on her own. It took a few more times of us giving her a push to get started, but after a day or two she got the hang of it. She's been pedaling for about a month now. It's been too cold to get outside here, so she just zooms around our basement :) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My boys got 2 wheelers with training wheels last summer and had toddler bikes before that.  They've been pedaling since shortly after 3 and love to go on bike rides around the neighborhoods now.  

• DS1 has no interest in leaning to pedal.  He has a tricyle but would much rather play with his cozy coupe, plasma car, and power wheels jeep when he is outside so he doesn't ever practice pedaling.  Maybe this spring/summer?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"