Washington Babies
Options

Valley Medical Birth Classes - good or bad?

It's time for us to sign up for birth classes, but I want to get the most out of them. Has anyone attended any of the birth and labor classes at Valley Medical in Renton? How did you like them?

The only class we'll be able to sign up for is the 2-day weekend class. I'm worried there will be too much peripheral information crammed in there and I won't take away a whole lot of labor and birth information. The information says they will cover things like basic baby care, post partum care, basic baby comforting techniques, etc. I feel like these are things I could read in a book or take a separate class for. I want to learn about labor and birth, not just gloss over it in a weekend course. My other option is a private lamaze instructor. Any opinions, ladies?

Re: Valley Medical Birth Classes - good or bad?

• Options

If you want to take a longer series, Great Starts offers weekend and evening times in a variety of locations.

https://www.parenttrust.org/forfamilies/classregistration/

Here is a list/comparison of programs in the area.
    https://www.transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/resources/SeattleClasses.htm

• Options

Hi,

I agree with Kbruington..... Every labor, birth is unique. You will just get confused and overwhelmed with the information and when the time comes you will not remember a thing. Just read some informative books to keep your mind at ease and make sure you have the essentials for you and your new baby.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagekbruington:

I took a "parenting" class and it was the biggest waste of time EVER. I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to learn how to put a diaper on a baby doll. I also didn't take any birthing classes which I'm glad about because most births (at least mine) are never like you learn in a class, see on a show, or read in a book. I read the basics about birth itself but I didn't think I needed to sit in an 8 hour, 2 day class to go over everything that "might" happen to me. Once you go into labor, all that information goes right out the window and you hope the doctor and nurses take over to help you through it!

I like having information, but I personally didn't want to overdo it.

I'm glad to hear this.  Not that you had a bad experience but that it isn't entirely necessary.  I've read and researched quite a bit and my husband just doesn't see spending $150-$200 on something that maybe I've already covered by my own curiosity.  It really doesn't FEEL necessary... 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I think I agree with kbruington too! 

My husband and I don't really want to spend $150 on a class with a lot of useful information, but it is a lot of stuff I can read in a book, and absorb slowly, rather than be overwhelmed by in a weekend class. We also have both parents close by to help out and I figure we can always hire a doula if we feel really unprepared or overwhelmed.  

I visited the parenttrust.org website and found a 3 hour labor pain/birthing class that only focuses on that. It's only $40 and I think that's more what I'm interested in. Here's the link:

https://www.parenttrust.org/uploads/pdf/GSClasses/Great Starts class grid.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"