Special Needs
Options

Therapy schedule question

I am meeting with the care coordinator to schedule DD's physical therapy that I belive she will be getting twice a month. She has speech weekly on Thursdays from 2:30-3:30. I am only available to be there myself (and would like too) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She is 18 months and waiting on developmental ped eval.

Should I do them in the same day since they are not each weekly or different days: Tuesday PT and Thursday SLP? She eats (well, not eating right now but that is another story) 4:30/5 and bed by 6:30-7p.

Thanks

Re: Therapy schedule question

• Options
    Most of DS2s therapies have always been scheduled same day and back to back if possible. For you though, I could go either way doing separate or same day. DS2 has a total of 7 therapies a week so we have to do multiple sessions on some days.
  • Options

imageMaxandRuby:
    Most of DS2s therapies have always been scheduled same day and back to back if possible. For you though, I could go either way doing separate or same day. DS2 has a total of 7 therapies a week so we have to do multiple sessions on some days.

I do not know if we will be adding more therapies in the future or not, so this is tough along with scheduling multiple upcoming appointments. But I think PT will only be for a short while.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We see 3, sometimes 4 therapists a week and I like to only have one a day. My DS is only 21 months old and I feel like an hour a day is all he can handle. Therapy, especially OT, wears him out and he needs a lot of free play after all the concentrating. If possible I would keep the therapy on separate days. 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I would do different days.

I had the experience of 3 appointments in one Friday afternoon for DS. First it was OT, then it was speech and then behavioral.

It did not work out when we got to speech. DS was not listening and was not cooperating with the speech therapist.

Behavioral was a more relaxed setting.

Never again. All therapies are on different days, 5 days a week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We do two home therapies in one day. speech in the high chair for thirty and then after an hour break he does pt for 30.

Ultimately it depends on the child and what you are trying to accomplish.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    image-auntie-:

While it would be convenient for you to double up and get it over with, if might not be the most effective approach to have both on the same day. Given that this is late in her day, she might not have the stamina to work well through both sessions. It would be different if she had a full therapy schedule and was getting services multiple times in a week.

I agree. I tried to spread them out as much as possible so DS was getting basically one a day (though his school system people all came the same day but within the same hour so we had overlapping PT, OT and itinerant teachers at times).

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    When DD was in EI, we had 4 therapies (3 EI and 1 private).  We did them on different days.  
  • Options

Thank you for everyone's input - that seemed to all match up :)

I am going to go for Tuesdays (the different day) per suggestions as well as it will give her at least 1 structured activity M-Th.

On another note I was also able to finally get to the library to pick up some books on the autism spectrum, SPD, and food allergies. I need a google break.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"