Pre-School and Daycare

Daily Post-Nap Meltdowns? Anyone else?

It is probably just a phase but I'm always wondering if something needs to be tweaked to make the 4-5 o-clock hour better. James occasionally would have meltdowns after naps if he didn't sleep long enough but since starting preschool it seems to be a daily occurrence. We did have to push naps back from 1pm to 2pm and sometimes he plays for a while before falling asleep. The obvious things seems that he isn't getting enough sleep, but he gets about 11 hours at night plus a 2-3 hour nap. But every time he wakes up lately I listen to crying off and on for about an hour. At first I cuddled and reassured him, I've put him in his bedroom and told him to rest some more. Lately I just put him in his room and tell him he can come out when he feels better and is done crying. I check on him periodically and tell him I love him and remind him that when he stops crying and is ready to come out he can.  I was thinking I might try an earlier bedtime but right now he sleeps from 8pm-7am most days. 

Anyone else go through this? Is more sleep the key? Less sleep? : / I'm at a loss.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daily Post-Nap Meltdowns? Anyone else?

• This happens to us as well. I think it is when he sleeps too much and too deeply. I don't have any suggestions unfortunately.
  • Yes us too! If we skip naps then dinner time is hell. Naps are usually great but he always wakes up SO pissy. Try playdough when he wakes up. Using his hand, quiet time, creative.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • DD does this, which is why I almost dread when she does nap. I was reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and there was something called sleep inertia. They wake up during deep sleep or don't fully awaken or something and they are disoriented and can almost be physically painful. I was thinking thi is what happens with DD. book didnt say what to do about it though :/
  • We've had this with both our DDs.  For us, it seems to be a blood sugar issue.  Get a snack and/or cup of milk in them and their mood changes in 5-10mins.  Sometimes it's hard to convince them they need it but the world is so much better when they do.
    BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"