Pre-School and Daycare

Do you/would you stay in this class?

So my son is 3 years and 4 months old. He is very stubborn and is fearful of most new situations. Once he tries something, he usually will like it and be OK within a 10-15 minutes. He is also very attached to us, he goes to daycare, but has been going to the same place for 3 years and feels very comfrotable there. He is very into the other kids there and does everything at day care. He is not a daredevil by any means however.

Anyway, I wanted to try an activity with him because I think it would be good for him. We went to a gymnastics class and it was a little bit of a disaster. All the other kids listened quite well and appeared to be a little older them him(it is up to 5 years old). They were very far ahead of him in their gross motor. I had to follow him around and he would do very little of what they wanted him to do(they did some circle time, stuff on the trampoline, did some forward rolls, etc). By the end, he did walk around each area, doing most of the stuff they wanted him to do. But I had to go with him(all the other parents were waiting outside) and he was being quite defiant.

So, would you push this class or try something else? I dont really care what he does, but we are in a small area. I don't know if there was anyplace better to find...the teachers seemed to not put much effort into encouraging him and the class is one where people join all the time(not like some where they have a start date). I feel like maybe he would enjoy it after a month or so, but I am not sure I want to spend all that money on the off chance it will get better. Sigh.

Re: Do you/would you stay in this class?

• My DD has gone to gymnastics class since she was 18 months and it was the best thing I've done for her. Her listening skills, gross motor, etc... Have improved. However, there is a 2 Year old class, a 3 yr old class, and so on. Just "under 5" seems like FAR too big of an age group. I would look around for other programs in ur area that will only have kids closer to ur DS's age. I think u will find that would go much more smoothly! Good luck!!!
  • imageAeeg520:
    My DD has gone to gymnastics class since she was 18 months and it was the best thing I've done for her. Her listening skills, gross motor, etc... Have improved. However, there is a 2 Year old class, a 3 yr old class, and so on. Just "under 5" seems like FAR too big of an age group. I would look around for other programs in ur area that will only have kids closer to ur DS's age. I think u will find that would go much more smoothly! Good luck!!!

I agree.  We've done the same. It just gets better and better.

I also should share that my daughter's behaviour with me on the floor and without me on the floor differs substantially. When I am around she's got more of an explorer attitude, without much listening. Now that she's in the big girls class, just the kids and a teacher, she listens to everything the teacher says.  It's almost shocking! 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the reassurance! I am hesitant about sending him again, only because I have to pay a 35 dollar non refundable fee to go, but maybe I will do it and stick it out for a month or 2. I feel like I know he will get better, but I am not sure if I should push it. And I should clarify, they have a under 3 class with parents(which in hindsight I wish we had done as I believe this would have been a nonissue if he was familiar with everything), but it's just the 3-5 class is together. It IS a huge age range, especially since I know my son is delayed slightly(not that he isn't normal, but just not as coordinated as some of the other kids I see his age.
  • I would not want a class that put 3yo and 5yo together for a physical activity. It sounds like they expected him to be at the 5yo level. If you want gymnastics find another place.

ETA: he is only 3, if you don't think he is ready just wait. My kids are 6 and 4 and really, they have so much time to do things.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I don't have any personal experience with this, but I think you should give it another chance.  If it was his first class, it seems normal for him to not listen to the teachers.  He was probably busy exploring and wasn't used to the routines. Can you try it for just one month?  I would talk to the teachers and see if they can let you do a "trial" so you don't have to commit to a long period.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would stay until the end of the session you paid for then, if he continues to demonstrate a lack of interest/ability, cut your losses.

We tried soccer last year and it was a huge failure. We kept him in for one session then stopped until a few weeks ago. It's still not going great but we'll keep him in then see how he's doing at the end of the session before deciding whether to sign him up again.

• DS is now in a class similar to that. No small groups and 3  up to 6 age range. He loves the activities they do and I think it is really helping him to learn to wait his turn. However I stayed the first 2 classes then tried leaving but the teacher called that I should come back because he was pouting on the bench. So I stayed for 1 or 2 more classes and now I have been waiting untill they are ready for the circle at the begining and then I leave. That seems to be working fine now that he is comfotable. Some kids just need their parents around as a saftey net while they get used to things. Your DS might be fine in a few weeks if you stay and help him now. That is if he seems to enjoy the things they are doing during the class. 

That said, is the under 3 class not a possibility anymore? maybe he could start with that for a few months especially if he has some delays, and then move up to this class later?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We did a sports type class for DD when she was little.  She spent the entire time pole dancing on a portable basketball hoop.  I was mortified b/c all the other kids were much better listeners.  I ended up taking her out and waiting 6 months and she was completely fine the next time around.  I think looking back, it would have been fine if I just stuck it out with that class.  But I also didn't have any daycare or preschool setting to refer to at that point to let me know that there was hope she wouldn't be crazy the whole time. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"