Preemies

bottles?

I had twins born at 30 weeks 6 weeks ago and I am dying to get out of the hospital.  Any recommendations for bottles that minimize air?

TIA! 

my read shelf:
Jayne's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bottles?

• We used the hospital ones while we were in the nicu. Once dd was home we used the dr browns and dd loved them. They also have a preemie size nipple. Good Luck, I hope they are home soon!
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We got our daughter out of the NICU with the nuk-bottles, but then switched to Dr. Brown's a couple of weeks after we got her home.  GL!
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My lo had trouble transitioning from the disposable nipples that you get in the NICU. We tried every bottle out there and found that Tommee Tippee were the ones he liked best. We've been happy with them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Feeding took us for.ev.er. Heck, one of our girls is still only around half PO and is coming home on an NG tube tomorrow. The other JUST got the hang of bottling completely just within the past week.

We are now on Dr Browns, which they both seem to do well on, but we struggled with reflux, congestion, and the fact that our straggler is still on oxygen ... all of which have delayed bottling successes.

I will say the 6 or so weeks of nipping were by far the MOST frustrating, so hang in there...I had some of my toughest days during that stretch.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dr. Browns for us too.  I would recommend just getting 4 or 8 oz ones because the 2 oz ones wouldn't be used for very long.  We used level one nipples right out of NICU and then switched to level 2 at about 2 months adjusted.

I second the recommendation of medela sterilizer bags for the micro.

DD#1, Alexa, Born 8/08; TTC # 2 since 3/2010; 8 IUI BFN; 1 cervical pregnancy in April 2011; IVF #1 Dec 2011 worked. EDD = 9/7/12. Bedrest starting 6/4/12. Julia Mae born 7/1/12, home 8/12/12. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Another vote for the Dr. Browns with the preemie nipples. Get the 4 oz, we only used the 2 oz or a few weeks. They were kind of a waste. We tried Tommee Tippee in the NICU but they were a bit much for DD. She does great with Dr. Browns. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageUsm123:
    Dr. Brown's really help with air! They also sell 2 oz versions. If you end up bringing in your own bottles look into Medela steam sterilizer bags. They were great because after each feeding I just nuked the parts for 3 min and they were ready to go for next feeding. You can use each bag 20 times and the come in a box of 5 for around 5 bucks.

This!  I wouldn't bother with the 2 oz ones though.  Start with 4 oz size and then you can get 8 oz size later on.  Dr. Brown's are also recommended for BFing moms too.

• We use Dr. Brown's bottles. A pain in the butt to clean, but I really think they helped with the gas.

• Thanks so much for the recommendations!  Especially Brummy.  You exactly described how I've been feeling.  Lots of tears!  I have dr. browns I will try today!!
    my read shelf:
    Jayne's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageUsm123:
    Dr. Brown's really help with air! They also sell 2 oz versions. If you end up bringing in your own bottles look into Medela steam sterilizer bags. They were great because after each feeding I just nuked the parts for 3 min and they were ready to go for next feeding. You can use each bag 20 times and the come in a box of 5 for around 5 bucks.

This! After trial and error we found Dr. Browns standard size bottles work the best for LO. The nipple is similar size as the screw on caps that LO was used to with the ready to feed formula. And we love the medela steam bags for sterializing. I can fit 3 of the Dr. Browns 4 oz bottles in them with all the parts.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • DD was very opinionated on bottles when she came home and would only drink from the NICU bottles. We tried Playtex drop-ins, playtex ventaire and then the Nuk. She liked the Nuk so we just bought more of those and called it a day.
    ttc #1 since 7/10 Dx - PCOS and LPD chemical pregnancy 6/11 IUI #1 9/5 & 9/6 9/19 - BFP, beta #1 149 (15 dpo), beta #1 (17 dpo) 370 1st ultrasound 5 w 6 days -- TWINS!!! It's a boy and a girl! Born April 15, 2012. Baby A - 4 lbs 11 ounces, Baby B - 5 lbs 6 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My daughter was really stubborn and stuck on the disposable nipples from the NICU. We tried Dr. Brown's, Avent, and the Similac simply smart bottle- she wouldn't drink from any of them and insisted on using the disposable nipples. I took one to the store with me and compared it to every single bottle/nipple in the store. I discovered that they are nearly identical to the Gerber First Essentials bottles (and they are ridiculously inexpensive- About $3-4 for a pack of 3 bottles). She is still using the Gerber bottles to this day.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"