School-Aged Children
Options

Homeschool

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone is a homeschooling?? DS1 will be on kindergarten next year and we are going to homeschool. He goes to a private preschool twice a week now. I taught kindergarten prior to having children so I feel confident in teaching my son but was curious to anyone else's curriculum choices and schedules.

Re: Homeschool

• Options
    We are in our second year of homeschooling. I have a first grader and a preschooler right now. 
  • Options
    imageLovemyflightmedic18:
    We are in our second year of homeschooling. I have a first grader and a preschooler right now.nbsp;

Do you love it? How long is your school day and why curriculum do you use??
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am homeschooling my DD...though she is only preschool now, we plan to continue throughout her childhood. We use Sonlight primarily.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options

imageLulobug22:
    We are in our second year of homeschooling. I have a first grader and a preschooler right now.nbsp;

i am not going to lie, we have had our days, but it is so worth it. I be severl friends that have kids in public school and definitely don't want my child in the public school system here.  We use the Horizon Math Curriculm  and Life PAC for language arts. Both are made by Alpha Omega.  

• Options

imageLulobug22:

i am not going to lie, we have had our days, but it is so worth it. I be severl friends that have kids in public school and definitely don't want my child in the public school system here.  We use the Horizon Math Curriculm  and Life PAC for language arts. Both are made by Alpha Omega.  

we usually do school from 9-12 Monday- Friday. 

• Options

imageLulobug22:

we usually do school from 9-12 Monday- Friday. 

Just butting in but how old is your child?
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    She is 7 and is in first grade. 9-12 is just the time for ook work. That time does not include field trips, science experiments or any other activities she is in involved in as well.
  • Options

I homeschool and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. We go through a public homeschool charter so it is the best of both worlds. Since he is technically enrolled in a public school we are assigned a teacher who looks over his portfolio and then talks with us about what curriculum is best. The school has a library and we can check out all the curriculum including supplementals such as microscopes, scales, books etc.

Our core curriculumn we use is Explode the Code, Saxon Math, Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding: A Science Curriculum for K-2 (Highly recommend), and Story of the world (highly recommend)

The school also offers enrichment classes 2 days a week and we go there on site and he takes language, drama, science, book club, art etc. The librarian even does preschool story time for the little ones. We love it. It is a great chance for us to socialize with other homeschool families. They also coordinate field trips and special activity days like Medieval day, sports day, Ancient Greece day etc. and it is very family friendly big and little kids are welcome to join in. 

Talk to your local district to see if they have something similar. They are becoming more and more common and are a wonderful (and free) way to homeschool while providing you the support you need.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options
    I'm hoping to.  DS1 starts K next year and DH and I disagree on schooling (DH is pushing for public but would agree to private) and I really want to HS.  I'm currently HSing their PK.  Our twins (3 years) are doing LOTW from Confessionsofahomeschooler.com, and DS1 (5) is doing LOTW and K4 from the same site.  I never touched other curriculum since they're not in primary school yet, but from what I've researched, I really like the look of BJU Press (Bob Jones University) with the distant learning.  It's more expensive than other curricula, but if I can get DH on board, I really want to do a boxed curriculum, at least until I know what I'm doing.  There's a HS forum I like (though it's really slow), if you're interested LMK and I'll PM you the link

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"