November 2011 Moms

speaking of food....sandwiches?

I've seen a lot of people post about giving their LOs sandwiches.  Really?!  I think this must fall under the things I just don't think DD is capable of handling so I've never tried.  But maybe I'm wrong.

Are these normal sandwiches?  Like two slices of regular bread?  (That seems so thick, no?)  Are they cut in half?  Quarters?  Tiny pieces?  I would think my DD would just throw over a half a sandwich....she tend to prefer her food in pieces but she has gotten better about biting things off and not just trying to shove everything in her mouth.  (Because if it will fit, she will shove it all in instead of biting off reasonable pieces.)

I'm sure this could be just where different LOs are on what they will and won't eat, but if a lot of LOs are eating sandwiches maybe I should try to give DD a sandwich.  It would sure add options to our meals!

So......how do you serve your LOs a sandwich?  Any favorite kinds of sandwiches?  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: speaking of food....sandwiches?

• I was wondering the same thing.  DD has one two tiny teeth so I just don't see how she could manage it.  Besides, she'd probably pull it apart and eat it in parts.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know if this is what everyone else does, but I stack two pieces of bread with whatever in the middle, then flatten out the sandwich with my hand and cut into bit sized pieces.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not a big deal for my DS at all. He is great at biting food and chewing it even though he still only has the front 8 teeth. I hold a quartered sandwich (grilled cheese) out for him to bite and rest it on a plate out of his reach while he chews. He also likes chicken sandwiches, and some deli meats too.
  • Whenever we eat toast with breakfast Kyle will get a piece of bread. Whole, just sit on his tray with everything else. He takes bites. Ill give him bites of my sandwiches but every time I tried to make him his own he won't eat it. Of course I've only tried twice and that was over a month ago so who knows now. He also has all 4 molars and 7 front teeth13m old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Occasionally DS will eat grilled cheese but I smoosh it pretty flat and cut off crust. He does like torn up deli meat with cheese chunks.

I am jealous of those who can feed their LOs pretty much anything
  • imagesedl1lau:
    I don't know if this is what everyone else does, but I stack two pieces of bread with whatever in the middle, then flatten out the sandwichnbsp;with my hand and cut into bit sized pieces.

This. I'm scared to hand him a whole or half of a sandwich.
    Eta: changed word

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • She bites off rolls/bread/etc, but I usually cut sandwiches into bite-size pieces for her to pick up and eat, so she doesn't bite off a huge piece. Pretty much we've only done peanut butter (though, she's not a huge fan, but loves PB cheese crackers that I let her hold and bite) and grilled cheese.
  • My LO gets his own 6" sub!
    No really, I make a Sammy for him and use a pizza cutter to slice it into long strips. He takes small bites. Of course I am watching him the entire time. Or I'll give him avocado w a spoon and he eats small pieces of turkey/cheese.
  • I do grilled cheese and spinach, jelly and cream cheese, avocado, and/or hummus on sandwiches and cut it into quarters.  Usually DD will take the slices apart and eat them like toast with toppings, but whatever.  

I just started sunflower seed butter (daycare is nut-free) so next week, I want to send her with some of that.  The problem is no one else eats bread in my house! We never buy sliced bread except for DD.   

• i make him open faced sandwiches. i'll take a piece of bread, cheese and some fresh turkey then throw it in the toaster, then i cut it up into pieces. sometimes when i do a grilled cheese i'll do a full sandwich. my 14 month old doesn't really get biting into pieces yet, but i'm gonna start giving him bigger pieces to see if he can get it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"