Pre-School and Daycare

Cute lunch check-in

I made "granola bites" this weekend using this recipe. Delicious, pretty healthy and it makes a ton! They're perfect for bento (or regular!) lunches. I bought a few packages of mini silicone cups at World Market and they're perfect for this recipe: https://www.anotherlunch.com/2010/05/recipe-chocolate-chip-granola-bites.html

Easy at-home lunch. I hadn't even planned on making this at all cute, but how can you not put circle sandwiches for the eyes, grapes on picks for the feathers ... it was all downhill from there! PBJ with mint eyes, homemade granola bite, carrots & dip.

Hello Chilly Kitty! It was cold here this week, so DD got a ham & cheese sandwich with hat pick. There's also carrots, one lonely little grape, a homemade granola bite in a (recycled HK candy box) container and bunch of blueberries.

Igloos! If you look closely, you can see the lines in the cheese. There's also celery, a Goldfish assortment, mini container of dried cherries, "snowball" mini marshmallows and blueberries.

Mary's little lamb! Ham sandwich with cheese topper, blueberries, dried cherries, homemade granola bite (with Mary pick!) and carrots. Done in 5 minutes!

Butterfly! This was another very fast lunch. "Peek-a-boo" PBJ sandwich with antennae picks, pre-cut apples (emergency snack for the baby at the grocery store), stack of Ritz crackers topped with a chocolate pretzel heart and three strawberries. I used a lot of silicone "baran" sheets to keep the wet foods away from the dry.

Frog! This sandwich was very fast with the help of my new CuteZCute cutter (I swear that's not an advertisement!), which was surrounded by mini Goldfish and blueberries. The left side has a checkered apple (always a hit!), carrots, strawberries in a silicone pea pod, and two mints.

Have a great week(end) and PIP your cute lunches, pretty please!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cute lunch check-in

• ::gasp:: Normally I see that kind of thing, too. Oops! Good thing this was an at-home meal!
  • That looks really cool.  Does your kid eat each entire lunch?  They look like a lot of food, even for a 5 year old.  Or is part of it for a snack?  You must be a chef or something.  I would never think to put that much "art" into my kids' meals.  And I'm a crafty type of person too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely NOT a chef! And my DD generally eats most of the food. It's really not as much as it looks. The purple container (second one down) is a sandwich keeper, so the entire box is only the size of a full slice of bread. A lot of the little containers are only 1" square or so. 

I have been making her lunches this way for a few years now, so it doesn't take much more time than a regular lunch. I also like how comparatively waste-free they are (though I might negate that with all of the accessories I've acquired). Having all of the food readily accessible in one container also makes it a lot easier to eat, rather than having to open a bunch of baggies, especially with only 15 mins to eat. But most importantly, it's fun! Kids eats with their eyes as much as adults do, and they like a lot more variety on their plates than adults. It's also an edible love note from Mom and gives her something to look forward to. The themes are often related to things happening in school or life, and she's a very detail-oriented child who notices the little touches. 

::stepping off soapbox:: 

• I wish it was a box, but it's just a melamine plate from Target at least 3 years ago. Sorry! That was an at-home lunch from last weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"