Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Homebrewing

Saw in the Thursday check in that FloridaGatorHubs is a brewer.  Any other brewers here?

I've been brewing for almost 4 years.  I just finished building a 10 gallon electric all grain system.  I mostly stick to hoppier styles, but my best beer is a vanilla stout I have been working on for awhile.  It is my wife's favorite beer.  As long I keep making that I can keep brewing!

Re: Homebrewing

• Options

DW bought me a kit for Christmas. I haven't opened it yet.

I am curious about your vanilla stout recipe.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options

What kind of kit?

I'll try to remember to post my recipe when I'm home tonight.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't brew, but I am an accomplished taste-tester....Wink
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I brew small batches.  my last IPA was killer.  I have a honey ale on deck even though I should probably do a porter or something before the snow melts.
    there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • Options

imageKalElFan:

Brewers need people like you!

• Options

Vanilla Stout

10.5 lbs Pale Malt
    10 oz Black Patent
    6 oz Chocolate Malt
    1 oz Cluster (7%) - 60 min
    1 oz Goldings (4%) - 20 min
    Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
    1.5 TBS Vanilla Extract - Secondary - 2 weeks

• Options
    It is not overbearing.  I put in less than the recipe I started with a couple years ago.  I wanted it to be an aspect of the beer, not the only aspect of the beer.  But as with any spices etc. I would say start small and build to where you like it.

• Options

Can I ask you guys a question?

How long does it typically take to brew an IPA?

I ask because my H is going to be doing this soon and I need to know. 

• Options
    For me it's usually 6-8 weeks until I'm drinking it.  Could be done faster though.

• Options

imagePrime:
    For me it's usually 6-8 weeks until I'm drinking it.  Could be done faster though.

Thanks.

Beer is slowly taking over our condo and I need to know how long that will be in my way.

I'll have to find him a place to brew it that is not in our 2nd bedroom.

It's more organized now, but this was the room about a month ago....

• Options

imagePrime:

Thanks.

Beer is slowly taking over our condo and I need to know how long that will be in my way.

I'll have to find him a place to brew it that is not in our 2nd bedroom.

It's more organized now, but this was the room about a month ago....

• Options

And do you reuse your bottles?  H seems to think he ZOMG must buy new bottles.

I'm kind of in the boat of save the environment. 

• Options
    Yes I reuse bottles.  I rinse them well right after emptying them and give them a thorough visual inspection before I fill them.  I'll use cleaning solution if needed.

• Options

There are so many small breweries within a 100 mile radius of Milwaukee that I am never interested in brewing my own. Already way too many to try around me as it is.

Wisconsin is still king when it comes to beer...good for me! 

• Options
    imageladyjenna13:

There are so many small breweries within a 100 mile radius of Milwaukee that I am never interested in brewing my own. Already way too many to try around me as it is.

It isn't about not having good beer available for me.  There is plenty of great beer in and around Seattle.  I just really enjoy brewing.  It is science and art.  Plus it is awesome giving someone a beer, seeing them enjoy it and then telling them you made it.

• Options
    imagePrime:

imageKalElFan:

Brewers need people like you!

I'd be more than willing to accept a shipment or a meet up so I could properly test some brews! I'd even pay the shipping lol

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagePrime:
    imageladyjenna13:

It isn't about not having good beer available for me.  There is plenty of great beer in and around Seattle.  I just really enjoy brewing.  It is science and art.  Plus it is awesome giving someone a beer, seeing them enjoy it and then telling them you made it.

It isn't about not having good beer available for me. There is plenty of great beer in and around Seattle. I just really enjoy brewing. It is science and art. Plus it is awesome giving someone a beer, seeing them enjoy it and then telling them you made it.

My point was more about the fact that I think everyone in this city has tried brewing at home. My grandpa did, my dad did, I did. My uncles lived above us in our duplex when I was a little one and they used to make me try their brews whenever I went up there to bug them. Brewing can be fun, but it has been a staple here for a long time.

In Milwaukee there are multiple bars on each city block in some neighborhoods. Not chain bars, local ma and pa bars. It is unique to this nation. And in those bars there are plenty of homemade brews being tapped out to the customers. legally and illegally. Between November and March this city lives in bars!!!

This reminds me of that BW3 commercial!

• Options
    I am an amateur brewer. I do extract kits and I'm slowly working my way toward partial grain. Luckily I have a large unused basement that I can keep everything in. I just finished my Christmas IPA and it was delicious. It didn't carbonate very much though. Still really good. I'm a big fan of IPAs... the hoppier the better.
  • Options
    more hops > some hops

• Options
    I disagree about more hops always being better. There needs to be balance, and I just don't care for super hoppy beers most of the time.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options

I should clarify I am talking about flavor and aroma not bitterness.

ETA: Just a preference that I prefer hoppier (in flavor) beers.  Great thing about beer is there is something for everyone.

• Options

I got a kit for my birthday and am just about to get started.  Children = more time at home, so I figure this is a good home hobby.

Any tips on kit brewing?  The sterilizing part seems a bit daunting.

And on the hops discussion - i love them. 

• Options

My usual advice for people getting started is to just keep things clean and sanitized.  Beer is pretty forgiving.  Anything that touches the beer after the boil needs to be sanitized or you run the risk of introducing bacteria.  I keep a bucket of sanitizer around so I can dunk any equipment in there to sanitize it before I use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"