Birth Stories

All natural hypnobirth.

(Sorry for the length, it was just too much fun to write) 

On Monday night, Sep 24th, I was out to dinner with two girlfriends. I decided to order a spicy breakfast burrito, hoping the spice would get labor started. I suddenly felt a pop, like a balloon inside of me.  My only thought was - what could this baby have done for me to feel that?  I shortly realized what had happened, as my amniotic fluid gushed into my jeans.  It was 6:30 pm, 39wk 2d. My girlfriends and I were both shocked and excited.  "This only happens in the movies!" They offered to call my husband, but I knew I wanted to surprise him with the news.  They grabbed a blanket out of my car for me, and I wrapped it around my waist and headed out, no one but my two friends the wiser.

When I arrived home, I excitedly shared the good news with my DH. We were so very excited.  We knew it could be some time before contractions started, so I decided to finish a few last-minute tasks.  After e-mailing our bosses to let them know we would be starting our family leave, DH ate dinner, and I made sure to gather the remaining items and pack them in our hospital bag.  I called our doula to let her know what was going on. Then I got ready for bed, thinking that I could get some sleep. I grabbed my Ipod with hypnobirthing tracks and laid down. It was 8pm.

A half hour later I was experiencing cramps, and by 9 pm I was standing at the bathroom sink swaying and breathing deeply through the surges, unable to lay down.  DH tried to time the contractions, but by 10 pm I couldn?t talk anymore and we decided to call our doula. I was feeling nauseous and ?pushy?.  Our doula told us we should head to the hospital. I had a little black cloud in the back of my mind.  One of the main reasons that we had hired our doula was to help me labor at home as long as possible before going to the hospital.  Now, the labor was here and I wanted to go to the hospital before she had a chance to come to our home.  One of my biggest fears was - what if I get to the hospital and they tell me that I am only 3-4 cm dilated?  It could be hours then. And with my water broken I knew they wouldn?t let me leave and the chances of unwanted interventions would increase.

The initial interactions in triage were rough.  The room was bright, florescent, and loud.  This was a huge contrast to my initial labor in the dark and silence of our home.  The nurse didn't think I was in active labor either, since I'd only been laboring three hours and this was our first baby. But quickly enough, with the help of my amazing DH and doula, the atmosphere calmed. Someone turned down the lights, people started to whisper, and for the most part I was able to focus inward and labor. 11pm, the moment came ? 7cm! All I could think was "Thank God!!" and "So there nurse!"  

I quickly waddled to my birthing suite and its calm, quiet atmosphere. My DH and doula were incredibly supportive. The labor and delivery nurse did whatever she could to help me too.  Our birth plan was respected and there was calming music, candles, cool washcloths for my neck and forehead, massage, light and deep pressure, and a lot of position changes. My DH held me up during surges as I leaned on him, my doula giving me words of encouragement and helping me relax with every surge. I lost my sense of time and became focused on just one surge at a time and was able to become deeply relaxed in between. No pain, but a lot of intense pressure.

The doctor was in and out, making intermittent observations. There were a few instances where the doctor suggested interventions that I did not want (internal monitor, assisting/intervening for swollen cervix). I felt very empowered, strong, and assertive when I was able to decline these suggestions and continue with the birth I had worked so hard to have. 

Finally it was time to push. Initially, when I pushed I could feel my baby begin to enter the birth canal and then slide back up after each contraction. All I could think and say was ?sassy baby!? I moved into a squatting position and within minutes my doula came around to the front of me and said she could see the baby.  I was shocked!  At her suggestion, I reached down; I could feel my sweet baby?s head.  It was so amazing.  I just couldn?t stop touching that little head. Suddenly the entire idea of us having a baby became so real, so concrete. There he or she was, right there at my fingertips.

When my LO was crowning the feeling and sensations were immense.  I was able to slow down and ease that little head out. My doctor needed me to recline onto my back to get the baby shoulder?s out and with a gush it was over. My husband brought our baby onto my stomach and with pride and excitement announced that we were the proud parents of a baby boy (who, by the way, I had insisted was going to be a girl throughout the pregnancy). 3:19am: our beloved son, Everett James was born. 9lbs 10oz 20.25in. His cry was so sweet, and quickly he was calmed by the sound of our voices and gentle touches.  Immediately after being moved to my chest, he brought one hand up to his mouth and began sucking his thumb.  With the other, he gently grabbed onto my husband?s finger. I had our baby with no intervention, no medication, no pain.  ?I got the birth I wanted!!? At last, we were a family ? happy and calm. 

Re: All natural hypnobirth.

• That is so awesome! That's how I want my birth to be. We just took our 1st hypnobirthing class today. As of now, I have a frank breech baby at 36wks and already have a c-section scheduled in 4 weeks. I am not thrilled at ALL with that looming possibility. I'm doing everything I can to get this baby to flip. I have had my heart set on a natural/hypnobirth since I got pregnant, and would be devastated if I don't get to try. After 3 uncomplicated vaginal births....I would really hate to have a c-section. I'm finding it really hard to accept.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So glad you were able to get the birth you had planned for and happy healthy LO to boot!! Congratulations!
  • Loading the player...
  • awesome story..congrats on your birthing plan going just right and on your LO..

• Thanks so much for sharing!  I'll almost done reading the Hypnobirthing book (my class hasn't started yet) and I'm worried I won't be confident enough to decline things.  I love your story!

* TTC since 2010; Me-36, DH-40
    * Diagnosis of PCOS in 2011 (suspected since teens)
    * Miscarraige September 2011; XY with Trisomy 15
    *November 2011 - January 2012 - 3 cycles of Femora - BFN x 3
    * 2/12 and 4/12 Tamoxifen - no response
    Planned to start Follistim for COH August '12 but...
    Surprise!! BFP! And it's a girl!!

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 5:9
    baby d'oh, no ID
    D'Oh!
  • Beautiful story!  Thanks for sharing.
    imageimage
    Me(32) + DH(32) TTC #1 since Dec 2011
    RE consult Dec 2012, diagnosed with lean PCOS (didn't see that coming!)  medicated cycles 1 - 4 = BFN
    cycle 5 - metformin, femara 7.5mg, IUI #1, progesterone = BFP!!!
    beta #1 (13dpiui) 37, beta #2 (15dpiui) 104, u/s at 6w5d hb of 115
  • LOVE your story! I hope that is my experience exactly. So inspiring! 
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congratulations! Great story :-)
  • Congrats.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• That is a wonderful story!  Congratulations!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yay! That is great you got to have the birth you planned! Enjoy your little one :)
    imageimageimageimageBabyFetus Ticker Mommy of two amazing boys **Aiden 5 & Logan 3**
  • Beautiful story. Congrats on getting your desired birth.

Me: 32 DH: 31.
    B/W: good. SA: good.
    November 2012: Paratubal cyst found during U/S.
    January 10, 2013: Lap removed paratubal cyst and Stage 2 Endometriosis. 
    3 cycles of Femara + TI = BFNs

June 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 37.5 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFN

July 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 75 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFP!!!!

Beta 1 @ 11 DPIUI = 76. Progesterone = 27.3

BFP 8/16/2013 // EDD 4/28/2014

Jordan Samuel born April 19, 2014. 6 lb, 12 oz and 18 inches long.

CLICK ME!!!11!!1111!!

• So inspiring to hear these stories.  I'm 46 yrs old very healthy, spontaneous pregnancy and now at 36 weeks.  Just discovered Hypnobirthing and really embracing & absorbing it.  Hope to create this type of incredible birthing experience for ourselves too.  Thanks for your story!
  • how great and interesting!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    3TC March Siggy Challenge: Funny Internet Meme Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Age: Me 26, DH 27, Married Oct. 10, 2009 ,TTC since March 2012
    Problem: Irregular menstruation, unexplained
    Nov&Dec-Provera because of no period after 35+ days
    First RE appt 1/10/2013
    Tests: TSH (normal), Prolactin (normal), SA (abnormal)
    Hysteroscopy (normal) and PCOS labs (negative/normal) 1/15/2013
    2/1/13- HPT BFP but Beta Hcg was negative
    Plan: Femara + Trigger + IUI in April if no real BFP before then Bloggy Blog!
  • Congratulations!  We just finished our hypnobirthing classes, and your story is such an inspiration.
  • Congratulations. I've finished 3 of 5 hypnobirthing classes and love hearing as many positive birth stories as I can.  Thank you so much for sharing yours!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"