International Bumpies
Options

My experience with Dicletin (for candians)

I just wanted to share my experience with Dicletin in hopes to help others.

I started taking it at about 6 weeks pregnant and was taking 4 a day. I finished that bottle, plus a refil and decided maybe it was time to stop after I finished the bottle. My midwife suggested taking just B6 in its place just incase. I was off of Dicletin for maybe 2 days and I got incredibly sick - to the point where I was throwing up for 14 hours. We all kind of thought it was the flu of some sort, but now I know better. 

That night before I started throwing up, I decided to buy another bottle incase it was the pregnancy nausea. I felt better after a few days and was only down to 2 pills a night. I ran out of that 3rd bottle on Monday and let me tell you, I can feel that nausea/sickness coming back. 

So, the lesson here is, even if you think you may be feeling better, or want to stop taking it, DO NOT. Even if you just need to take 1-2 a day, STAY ON IT!! 

I know tons of women in real life and some on the bump who had to stay on it their entire pregnancy. I almost wonder if the body is just used to having the medication and made itself dependant on it. But whatever the case, it's not harmful -- I wish I had my refil the second I finished the other bottle. I will never be without this again. (only 3 more months till baby!!)

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

Re: My experience with Dicletin (for candians)

• Options
    Never had morning sickness; but I will agree my sister was on it throughout the majority of her pregnancy this time.
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageRussianMommy:

I started taking it at about 6 weeks pregnant and was taking 4 a day. I finished that bottle, plus a refil and decided maybe it was time to stop after I finished the bottle. My midwife suggested taking just B6 in its place just incase. I was off of Dicletin for maybe 2 days and I got incredibly sick - to the point where I was throwing up for 14 hours. We all kind of thought it was the flu of some sort, but now I know better. 

That night before I started throwing up, I decided to buy another bottle incase it was the pregnancy nausea. I felt better after a few days and was only down to 2 pills a night. I ran out of that 3rd bottle on Monday and let me tell you, I can feel that nausea/sickness coming back. 

So, the lesson here is, even if you think you may be feeling better, or want to stop taking it, DO NOT. Even if you just need to take 1-2 a day, STAY ON IT!! 

I know tons of women in real life and some on the bump who had to stay on it their entire pregnancy. I almost wonder if the body is just used to having the medication and made itself dependant on it. But whatever the case, it's not harmful -- I wish I had my refil the second I finished the other bottle. I will never be without this again. (only 3 more months till baby!!)

Yes It was a lifesaver for me, I tended to have ms late into pregnancy, or severe nausea and it really helped.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imageRussianMommy:

Yes It was a lifesaver for me, I tended to have ms late into pregnancy, or severe nausea and it really helped.

this is what I wonder about - does it lower your immune system so that you become dependent on it, or does your body still have MS?  because everyone I know was never able to fully be off of it. O well - it sure does help for sure

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

I'm no doctor but I doubt you get dependent on it.  I did some reading before starting to take it and it is just a B6 vitamin and an antihistamine.  

I am guessing the antihistamine is what blocks the sick feeling, which would be why the B6 alone doesn't do the trick.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageklmbbb:

I'm no doctor but I doubt you get dependent on it.  I did some reading before starting to take it and it is just a B6 vitamin and an antihistamine.  

I am guessing the antihistamine is what blocks the sick feeling, which would be why the B6 alone doesn't do the trick.  

you're right, you don't become dependant/addicted to it

• Options
    I have had the same experience so farSad I was on mostly 4 pills a day for the first tri as I was soooooooo nauseous and sick from 6-12 weeks. Since 12 weeks Ive only been taking 2 pills at night. I do not really feel nauseous anymore but have tried uncucesfuly to quit the diclectin twice!!!!! Every time I try and quit, I get incredibly sick, the nausea comes back coupled with a major puke fest!! Now Im too scared to not take the pills anymore!! My OB said its pretty much trial and error and when Im up to it can try going off it again. But he also said many women stay on it until full term and he was fine with that. He said its totally safe and if anything he said it helps you sleep!! Personally id rather be off it alltogether, but this trial and error is soooo taxing I may just keep on it till the end!!!!

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageSunshinyLees:
    I have had the same experience so farSad I was on mostly 4 pills a day for the first tri as I was soooooooo nauseous and sick from 6-12 weeks. Since 12 weeks Ive only been taking 2 pills at night. I do not really feel nauseous anymore but have tried uncucesfuly to quit the diclectin twice!!!!! Every time I try and quit, I get incredibly sick, the nausea comes back coupled with a major puke fest!! Now Im too scared to not take the pills anymore!! My OB said its pretty much trial and error and when Im up to it can try going off it again. But he also said many women stay on it until full term and he was fine with that. He said its totally safe and if anything he said it helps you sleep!! Personally id rather be off it alltogether, but this trial and error is soooo taxing I may just keep on it till the end!!!!

i plan on staying on it until the end.I'm not bothering to wean again. not worth the nausea 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"