School-Aged Children

Junie B Jones?

If your kid read these do you recommend them? I got them for my son he won't care that they are "girly" but I have read reviewa of people HATING them because of the bad message they send. Thoughts? I also got him Magic Treehouse the first 4 books but I don't know if they will interest him. He is reading Flat Stanley's first book with some assistance from me and he is actually really liking it, I think he will want to read more of them but I would like to mix it in with some slightly easier chapter books because it is slightly past his level.
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Junie B Jones?

• DD got three Junie B Jones books for her birthday.  I thought they looked cute, like Beverly Cleary books.  I started reading it to her one night and quickly made up an excuse to stop.  They are crap.  The main character uses words I don't allow in our house (stupid, dumb, shut up) and horrible grammar.  I'm surprised so many parents like them.  I threw them away.

The Magic Tree House books are much better.  Not sure about Flat Stanley.

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • imageauntie:
    I would be surprised if Junie B would be a hit with a boy. Most boys I know stick to male protagonists at this age. It's not great literature, though I could see it as a carrot for a disinterested girl reader with a potty mouth.
    The one I don't care for, but most boys I know did, was the dreaded Captain Underpants.
    DS liked Magic Treehouse, they were as close to fiction as he'd agree to go as a young reader.

Thanks ladies, I am going to sneak it out and return it. While I know most boys would prefer more boyish books DS does not usually follow typical gender preferences, if given the option to read easier books he usually chooses Strawberry Shortcake, Dora, Pinkalicious, or at school Care Bears. But he would not read fairies or princesses so he has boundries, lol. He is loving Flat Stanley right now but if I know him he will get tired of reading the series so I wanted to line up something else. It is definitely hard when their ability is beyond their interest and of course he still reads mostly leveled readers because he is in kindergarten but I want to challenge him too.

Any other suggestions that are around that level but not too far in interest?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageauntie:
    Wow. When did Flat Stanley become a series? It was a single book back when DS's First grade did a "Flat Stanley Social Studies" year. Each kid had a Stanley that got sent out or tagged along with his student.
    It was an uber high achieiving school with competitive parents DS's Stanley went to Tokyo, Hirosima, Singapore, Frankfort, Rome my favorite a picture of Stanley with some other Stanley taken at the Trevi Fountain, London, Edinburgh, Manhattan, Indiana, Boston and he wasn't in the running for frequent flyer.
    If he likes FS, try Magic Treehouse next they'd be pretty similar.

See, this is when you kbow that "boy" of yours is getting old, lol, and proof that i have stayed at this place too long because i remember when he was probably like 8yo. Did you look it up, there are something like 16 FS books now and funny enough he goes on adventures to some of the places you mentioned.

And thanks for the suggestion, I will read it.
  • I think they're great books for a kid who is old enough to understand that the point of the series is to make fun of Junie.  The story is told from her point of view, and her misunderstandings about the world are meant to be exaggerated and funny. The books make fun of her and of some of the normal quirks of kids her age.  She's not a particularly likable or heroic character, especially in the first books in the series.

In many ways, I think this is a great series for older kids (2nd or 3rd grade) who are savvy enough to "get" that you're supposed to laugh at Junie.  A precocious 4 year old could probably read these, but might be put off by how mean and sarcastic they seem.

Ultimately, I think this is a case where you have to check out the first few chapters and to know your child.

Magic Tree House, on the other hand, doesn't have the same sarcasm.  It's straightforward and earnest.  Even though the characters are older (I think Jack is 10, and Annie is 8 at the start of the series) they are meant for younger kids to read, and there's nothing in the story that would baffle a 6 y/o.  They're a safer choice than Junie, honestly, in that any kid would probably enjoy them.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • When my DS started reading chapter books he also started with Magic Treehouse and he loved them.  He also loved anything by Ron Roy (Calendar Mysteries, A to Z mysteries).  The Jigsaw Jones mysteries are good too.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • I despise Junie B Jones books, I was surprised that our Private catholic school introduced them to last year's Kindy class, was not very happy at all. But that being said DS loved them, and find them fun to read, so we had a long talk on how inappropriate some of Junie B jones words are and that we don't repeat those bad words,he's been ok with that, we have not had any issue, and most of the time I can hear him laughing while reading. 
  • imagetammy79:
    I despise Junie B Jones books, I was surprised that our Private catholic school introduced them to last year's Kindy class, was not very happy at all. But that being said DS loved them, and find them fun to read, so we had a long talk on how inappropriate some of Junie B jones words are and that we don't repeat those bad words,he's been ok with that, we have not had any issue, and most of the time I can hear him laughing while reading.nbsp;

Thanks, this is super helpful. I am going to talk to him and tell him that they are very funny and kids love them but that she does not act good and see how he responds.
  • We were given a huge pile of Junie B. from a friend and my daughter never really got into them.  The main character is a little on the mean side.    
  • My daughter loved them. SHe laughed her head off. They are somewhat inappropriate I might add. However she had read all 26 books before I picked it up to read them...ooops. SHe also really loves anything Ronald Dahl. SHes read almost all of his works by the end of 1st grade. Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate factory etc. SHe also lvoes all the super fudge, ramona, etc from Beverly Cleary. Then again as a second grader she asking for biographes on Jonas Salk.... and Amelia Earhart. She also really liked WOnder an Out of my mind this year. IF its a book with pages shell read it.

• All depends on what you are looking for or your young reader is looking for.  We are an all boy household and have had a few good laughs over Junie B Jones.  The Sneaky Peaky Spying one is my particular favorite.  The Magic Treehouse ones are nice for the somewhat historical tie in but have absolutely no voice and are entirely predictable (my six year old was stating some words verbatim before I had a chance to read the page).  And that can equal some not so fun reading for the kid who is looking for a little creativity in the words coming alive.

Captain Underpants I know well, and although it is yucky boy humor, I have even found that slightly entertaining.  One of our favorite household sayings:  And now for the spank of life... comes from Super Diaper Baby. The phonetic spelling of the comics in Captain Underpants is what made my oldest read his first chapter book on his own. Now he's reading everything. So, they're not all bad in my eyes, at least.

We are now on the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and I thought of throwing in a Percy Jackson next..

Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • imageLittlejen22:
    imagetammy79:
    I despise Junie B Jones books, I was surprised that our Private catholic school introduced them to last year's Kindy class, was not very happy at all. But that being said DS loved them, and find them fun to read, so we had a long talk on how inappropriate some of Junie B jones words are and that we don't repeat those bad words,he's been ok with that, we have not had any issue, and most of the time I can hear him laughing while reading.nbsp;
    Thanks, this is super helpful. I am going to talk to him and tell him that they are very funny and kids love them but that she does not act good and see how he responds.

that's the fun of Junie B.  She is so naughty!  In a couple of books, she gets sent to the principal's office and hides by pulling her dress over her head. My son would laugh and say "Who really does that, Mom?"  So, it can be a good tool for discussion of just plain inappropriate behavior too.  I think that is WHY it is a Kindy hit.

Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • Junie B is hilarious and I loved reading those books to the boys or having them read to me.
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • These books are terrible for emerging readers. Words are purposefully spelled wrong, sentence structure is everything you are NOT supposed to do (run-on's, eetc), and like pp said she uses language I don't want my kids repeating (stupid, shut up). Little kids read in order to LEARN how to mimic sentence structure and memorize spelling, and reading Junie books is sure to screw kids up. I threw away the Junie B Jones book my son was given. I didn't even want to donate it!

• While Junie B.'s language, attitude, grammar, etc...make this English teacher/mom to a 6 yo girl cringe, I love that my daughter points out all those things and says, "Mommy, I would never talk like that, act like that, etc.!!!"

Lately, she has been reading the American Girl books...loves them and great messages!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"