D.C. Area Babies

your worst nanny stories

We had a nanny Maria Ramos for two months and despite my husband, my mother, my mother in-law and anyone else who came in contact with her urging me to fire her, I kept thinking she would improve. She didn?t.  She worked with my infant son from age 2 months to 4 months.  To give you an idea of what she was doing (or not doing), she would change his dirty poop filled diapers on our guest room bed, no changing pad underneath him, so she ruined our good quilt (we have a changing table but she didn?t want to walk upstairs to use it?!?);  she STOLE toiletries from our house constantly ? toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, paper towels ? and when questioned and told to stop she would respond that it was ?for the baby? (what?!?!?!?!);  She worked full time but would follow me around the house while I tried to work telling me about all her problems ? out of the 8 hours a day she worked, I would have about 2 hours a day where I could actually get stuff done because she wouldn?t leave me alone (not to mention she felt the need to constantly fire off derogatory remarks at other races (she is Columbian);  she would constantly give the baby water despite me telling her not to and I even had my pediatrician tell her directly that you don?t give infants water ? she simply says that (despite not having any formal education) she knows better than the doctors ? this also included pressuring me to give the baby Benadryl and Tylenol all the time (for what?!??!?!).  Maria told me she kept bottles of both in her purse and I only pray that she was not giving them to the baby without me knowing.  She would brag to me that she was feeding the baby 9 ounces per session (again, he was 2 months old) despite me disciplining her not to feed more than a few ounces at a time, and to make matters worse, the baby would naturally get sick from overeating and vomit, and she would say its because breastmilk is bad and he should only be on formula.  She refused to do any chores around the house when the baby slept and instead I would find her napping or talking on the phone. But what really annoyed me (and everyone who met her) was that she would constantly complain that she was underpaid ? I don?t mind telling you that $20 an hour to take care of ONE infant when you wont do any chores and he sleeps most of the day is already outrageous. I really have to say that I would NEVER recommend hiring her for any family, but that goes without saying.  

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? What are your worst nanny stories?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Re: your worst nanny stories

• We are looking into a nanny come sep for my 5 yo and newborn. Your stories are scaring me! And 20 seems a bit high for someone who doesn't have formal education/ training in child dev. But maybe I don't know rates as well as I thought. Can you let me know how you plan to go about looking for a new nanny? The search must be hard... Good luck!!
  • im sorry, but i have a really hard time believing this story. 

why would you allow this to go on for two months?

it's not like she had the baby in a bouncy seat when you would have preferred he have tummy time. you are alleging that your nanny, under your nose, gave your baby inappropriate food/beverage/medicine AND stole from you?

this must be MUD. and whether it's true or not, you should be ashamed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • From a "nanny". I despite being the help am well educated. I have my EMT basic training and a four year degree from psu in elementary ed. I have retired from nannying and now teach fourth grade. While employed I found that there was very little I did right and heard on several occasions my employer talking about how I should be putting away her dishes or doing her laundry while the children napped for an hour. I was also criticized for what I fed them, or letting them watch tv, or allowing the youngest to take kool aide into the "untouchable" room which I did not allow her to do... her husband did it. God forbid they get a bee sting or trip and konk their head... A word of advice... If you don't like how someone else is raising your kids then maybe you should do it yourself. Criticizing how someone takes care of your child doesn't make you a better parent. I know there are some lousy people out there... which is why I would NEVER leave my child alone with someone I didn't trust. So for those that trust strangers with their child and then criticize the job they are doing... You're idiots... and lucky if you get a trust worthy, capable person that loves your child.
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    What type of research did you do before you hired her? Did you allow her to come take care of your baby before you started working again?
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    Katie163 said:
    From a "nanny". I despite being the help am well educated. I have my EMT basic training and a four year degree from psu in elementary ed. I have retired from nannying and now teach fourth grade. While employed I found that there was very little I did right and heard on several occasions my employer talking about how I should be putting away her dishes or doing her laundry while the children napped for an hour. I was also criticized for what I fed them, or letting them watch tv, or allowing the youngest to take kool aide into the "untouchable" room which I did not allow her to do... her husband did it. God forbid they get a bee sting or trip and konk their head... A word of advice... If you don't like how someone else is raising your kids then maybe you should do it yourself. Criticizing how someone takes care of your child doesn't make you a better parent. I know there are some lousy people out there... which is why I would NEVER leave my child alone with someone I didn't trust. So for those that trust strangers with their child and then criticize the job they are doing... You're idiots... and lucky if you get a trust worthy, capable person that loves your child.
    That's crazy and unfair! When I nannied I wasn't expected to do any housekeeping duties. I just had to clean up after the kids after meal times and when they took baths. As a nanny, I wouldn't think it's fair to do anything that doesn't involve the children, such as vacuuming, dusting, preparing meals for the entire family, etc. I can see why you now teach and not nanny.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"