Natural Birth
Options

Too soon for classes?

I have found an 8 week natural childbirth class through Birthworks.  The next 8 weeks session starts Jan 10th...and I'll be just over 14 weeks.  I asked the instructor when the next 8 week class would be and she said April or May but nothing is set in stone.  I'm due at the beginning of July so the idea of May makes me too nervous that I wouldn't get them all in.  I'm also interviewing this instructor to be my doula also, so there's that too. 

Has anyone else taken classes this early? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Too soon for classes?

• Options
    I was read that is is best to start birthing classes in your 7th month of pregnancy. I doubt that there is anything wrong with starting early especially if you are unsure you will be able to take them later.
  • Options
    I started our 12 week Bradley classes (which ended up being condensed to 10 weeks) starting when I was 15 weeks pregnant.  There's the school of thought that if you start and finish too early, you'll "forget," but for me I figured we could start the nutrition and exercise stuff asap and I knew we'd be good about keeping it up in the final months of my pregnancy.  So we went with the classes that were first available when they were available.  Worked out well for us.  GL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
     If this is the only time the class is offered and this is the class you want to take, then you should go ahead and take them now.  It is better to take the classes early then to miss out on them all together.  GL!
  • Options
    I don't think there is a "right" time; its up to you to decide how much time and effort you want to dedicate to it, so if you want to take classes now I say go for it- it can only help :)
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got jumped on on my birth month board when I took our first class at 15 weeks...but honestly, it was just a crash course on how labor & delivery would work at that hospital, and we definitely didn't forget anything important.  I know for us, our schedules are too unpredictable and we had to jump on the chance when it arose.  I saved the labor techniques and the breastfeeding classes until a little closer to the end.  It all worked out more than fine, and if you're not the type to learn something just for the test so to speak, you should be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's totally up to you and your schedule. I really wanted to take Bradley classes but never looked into how long they were (I found out they are generally 12 week courses) and by the time I found out it was too late. I would rather get into the class you want a little early rather than wait and take a class that doesn't fit you as well. Just make sure that you keep the literature they give you so that you don't forget everything when you actually need it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Take it now I say. You don't want to risk not having the classes when they mean a lot to you. Like pp stated u aren't going to " forget ". Besides the things u need to refresh on u can have ur instructor do that personally since they will be your doula too. Besides u prolly be more comfortable physically now then at the end of ur pregnancy and more focused. Plus u will have plenty of time to absorb the info and get more clarification if needed.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"