Special Needs

auditory neuropathy

my baby has been diagnosed with this, and it was confirmed again on a retest one month later. has anyone else's LO received this diagnosis? if so, i would love to connect with you. thanks and happy new year!

Re: auditory neuropathy

• Welcome to the board!

I can't say I've heard this diagnosis around here (but I could be wrong!) but I know there's a few moms of children with hearing loss here. My DD (and I think another parent as well) has auditory processing difficulties which present similarly. She doesn't babble much and has problems with understanding instructions especially with lots of background noise (which is constant with a chatty three year old). We use a lot of sign language and we're starting with PECS (which is a visual communication piece) to help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are several parents on the CI Circle Yahhoo group that have children with auditory neuropathy. It's a great group if you want to check it out.
    Anniversary Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • How did your child get diagnosed with this? It's a new diagnosis that we are toying with. DD has sensorineural loss but does not constantly respond to sounds or her name even with her hearing aids in. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • km3km3 member
    First time looking at this board; I actually clicked it on accident as I was scrolling on my phone, but AN caught my eye. I'm an audiologist. If you have any questions about AN or hearing loss, reply here or shoot me a PM.

Amajane, AN is diagnosed by doing a certain type of ABR auditory brainstem response.
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekm3:
    First time looking at this board; I actually clicked it on accident as I was scrolling on my phone, but AN caught my eye. I'm an audiologist. If you have any questions about AN or hearing loss, reply here or shoot me a PM. Amajane, AN is diagnosed by doing a certain type of ABR auditory brainstem response.

Thanks! Well her BAER test shows mod-severe mixed loss (which is inconsistent with a BAER from 3 years ago) and her behavioral test shows mild-mod loss (which is what we have always thought she has). I don't know if she has sone an ABR since she was an infant. Does that make sense? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • km3km3 member
    Amajane you're probably right that her hearing is mildmod if that's what behavioral testing has shown, assuming that she is giving reliable responses during testing. Behavioral gives more exact thresholds than an ABR. ABR is the same as BAER; Auditory Brainstem Response vs Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response.

ABR can be done for several reasons.... to find out how much hearing loss someone has or to diagnose AN are a couple of them. When looking for AN, the sound stimulus is altered a certain way and the waves are analyzed.

OP, if you PM'ed me, I haven't seen it since I'm using my phone right now and can't check PM's. I'll try to check tomorrow. I just recently started back at work and my 3mo old isn't really sleeping through the night yet so I'm exhausted and am about to crash. I just wanted to let ya know that I'll check back in on this :
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am an audiologist and have made the diagnosis of auditory neuropathy before.  If you have any questions about it, I'm happy to discuss it.  For the PP, auditory neuropathy is ruled out if the ABR shows a sensorineural hearing loss.  The classic finding for AN is that the ABR will show no repeatable waveforms, even at the highest intensity (loudness) level but otoacoustic emissions are present (should be absent if there is sensorineural hearing loss).  So if the ABR showed waveforms consistent with mod-severe sensorineural hearing loss, AN is ruled out.
    BFP#1 on 7.1.10 ~ Little Miss M born on 3.3.11 BFP#2 on 4.7.12 ~ EDD 12.17.12 ~ natural MC at 6w3d BFP#3 in 11.5.12 ~ EDD 6.29.13 ~ angel baby lost at 18w6d due to terminal diagnosis
  • My5 yr old has Auditory Neuropathy and was implanted with Cochlear Implants when he was 12 mths and then at 24 mths.  He is doing very well!  There is a facebook group for Parents of children with Auditory Neuropathy, also parents of children with hearing loss, and parents of children with cochlear implants.  You will find a huge group of people there that know all about AN and can help you with any questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"