2nd Trimester

If you had a dropside crib for baby#1 (xp on my BMB)

Are you using your dropside crib for baby#2? We were given a nice dropside crib for DD, which had been used 6 times (mom and dad decided to cosleep with baby, they paid close to 1,000 for it new). Anyway, the crib held up great through DD, really no wear, she slept in it until 3.

It's in the basement now and I'm wondering after all the recalls if its safe to use for baby#2. It's a Simmons crib and I believe Storkcraft was the major brand recalled, but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

So if you are STM who is using or not using the dropside crib again, I'd love to hear from you. Anyone else who wants to weigh in is more than welcome!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: If you had a dropside crib for baby#1 (xp on my BMB)

• I had a dropside crib for baby #1&2 the crib was recalled and the company said to destroy that paticular crib so we took it apart and trashed it.

We went to a resale shop and bought a used crib in great shape for $100. Its your call do what you are ok with.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is our first, but we'll be getting a used drop side from a friend of mine. The crib wasn't recalled, but the manufacturer issued parts to make it a non-dropside. Just attach them, and it's a solid side.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok, after googling a bit, and see the actual depiction of what can go wrong with them, we'll be buying a new crib.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I personally wouldn't use a drop side. We prefer the convertible crib we have. Just seems like less furniture we would have to buy later.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • imagemeimsx:
    I personally wouldn't use a drop side. We prefer the convertible crib we have. Just seems like less furniture we would have to buy later.
    This.

My parents had an old drop side we could've used but we all decided it was best not to use it and to get a nice new convertible crib. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• DS sleeps in an old drop side when we visit my parents. My stepfather put four screws in it so the sides don't drop anymore. I'm comfortable with it for the amount of time he spends in it (we usually visit once every six months or so) but for our own crib, we got a convertible that he'll use until he goes to college, and probably even in his first apartment. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We did get a drop side crib that was used for when we had our second. It came from friends and had the kit that converted it to a standard crib that was plenty sturdy and did not move at all. We put our oldest then 17 months in there and the baby used the other crib we had previously purchased.
  • I checked recalls when DD was a baby and could not find our crib on any recalls list.  I need to dig out the model and see if it has shown up as a recall - if not we will be using it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did have one the first time. We zip-tied the drop side and it held perfectly. However, the crib is very old and we are not using it again.

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Mine was not recalled and I was very happy with it and plan to use it again.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If you like the crib, I would secure the sides so it's no longer a "drop side" crib before buying a new one. 
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • We requested parts from the manufacturer that make the drop-side stable. DS' crib is in very good condition, and we feel safe that the side is now secure. It even converts to a toddler bed, which will be nice so we don't have to buy a new bed when that time comes either (DS got DH's childhood bed, so we never converted it the first time).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We were given a drop side crib for this LO and at first were very concerned. Then, we did some research.  The crib we have is a solid wood model that meets all other current safety standards, except for the one drop side.  That drop side has all metal hardware and can only be lowered using both the side latch and the foot release under the crib (so baby cannot lower the side from inside the crib).  We contacted the crib company first to ask them questions about making the side stationary etc.  Then, we called a few different numbers to get information on recalls and current safety requirements.  Everyone we spoke to said the same thing:  our crib was never recalled, but is no longer manufactured. Our crib meets all current safety standards.

Since we don't plan on using the drop side, we were advised to face it toward the wall and leave the metal support in the locked position.  We feel perfectly safe allowing our LO to use this crib now!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"