Preemies

2nd time moms Progesterone Shot

I'm pregnant with my 2nd and have started the weekly progesterone shots.  I'm curious to hear if the shots worked for any of you. 

With my first pregnancy I went into pre-term labor and had my son at 34.5 weeks.  My doctor said the shots usually give you an extra two weeks, was this the case for any of you?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 2nd time moms Progesterone Shot

• I would imagine they would do more than give you two weeks, are you sure about that? My docs told me they are giving me them until 36 weeks and my last LO came at 29w, 6d, so they better give me more than two weeks, lol! However, I do have a few friends who have had them and they definitely stayed pregnant longer, so I hope that helps!
  • I had my son at 34w 5d and have been getting 17P for 11 weeks now. So far so good! I haven't heard that they only give you an extra two weeks - I've heard more than likely you'd go full term (at least 37 weeks).

A word of advice, rub the shot spot after they give it - it helps with the itching and stinging! Good luck!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Loading the player...
  • I will be getting them with #2 so I don't have any persobal experience but I have read many posts about the 17p shots on the high risk board.  It seems like most of the ladies that have received the injections make it to term and many to full term which is positive!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies, that's reassuring to hear that I may get more then just two extra weeks. 

My doctor is also monitoring my cervix each appointment to make sure it doesn't get less then 2.5 cm.  With my first when I realized I was having PTL I was 100% effaced so who knows when I started thinning out.  Hopefully if it starts to shorten this time around, we can come up with a game plan that will keep me pregnant as long as possible.

• My first was born at 33 weeks and I have been taking the shots since around 16 weeks - I will be 30 weeks on Monday.  I also have never heard the 2 wks thing, but have done a lot of research and it seems that while the shots can help, it is hard to really say to what extent.  Many women go full term while on the shots but they may have gone full term without them too.  I have had a lot of nausea/vomiting, dizziness, and strange but really bad pain in both legs which seems to get worse with each week that I have the shot, so I was trying to weigh the benefits and risks with stopping them.  Since I am this far along (and my cervix is long + negative FFN a few wks ago + w/DD1 no cervix issues-- water broke early) the doctors say it is up to me if I want to stop the shots now or not.  Today is shot day and I am not sure yet, I keep trying one more week.  I would feel horrible if I stopped the shots and then went into labor, as irrational as my fiance and the doctors say that is!

GL - I personally am a fan of trying anything relatively safe that might help you go full term or at least longer.  It definitely doesn't hurt to try, and most people don't have too bad of a reaction to the shot other than some possible itching and discomfort at the injection site right afterward.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• After having DD at 23w6d I had the shots this time around, in addition to regular cervical checks, and DS was born at 38 weeks. It's so hard to tell what does or doesn't have an effect, but I feel like it helped. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had ds1 at 29w6d due to incompetent cervix/ preterm labor. I had my last 17pshot exactly one week ago today. DD is still cooking. I went in for an amnio to test lung maturity on Thursday and she was not ready so we are scheduled for a rcs next Thursday at 37w6d due to a classical c section the last time. So the 17p has worked great for me and gave me a lot more than 2 extra weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi Tricia! Congratulations on baby#2. I'm so happy for you guys!

I started 17p shots with Caroline at 16 weeks and was able to make it to 34w 5d before delivering her early due to PTL.  It gave her an extra week in the womb. Definitely a plus in my book. Praying you go all the way to 40 weeks.

• imagejcsntms06:

Hi Tricia! Congratulations on baby#2. I'm so happy for you guys!

I started 17p shots with Caroline at 16 weeks and was able to make it to 34w 5d before delivering her early due to PTL.  It gave her an extra week in the womb. Definitely a plus in my book. Praying you go all the way to 40 weeks.

Thanks, we are really excited!   I've gotten two weeks worth of the shots, and I don't mind getting the shots especially if it will give the baby extra time to grow.  Anything past 36 weeks will be a bonus in my book, and definitely anything that can avoid NICU time, did that once, don't want to do it again.  Would love to make it to 40 though.  One week at a time I guess. 

• I had ds 1 at 34 w 3 d. Had the shots with 2nd. Made it to 39 weeks. I had lots of contractions and was in the hospital 3 times. But my goal was not to end up in the nicu and didn't. That to me is priceless. Btw my friend had her first at 30 wks her 2nd with the shots at 38 wks.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"