Preemies

Reflux

My DS is about 2 weeks adjusted and has terrible reflux. He's been on Prevacid for a couple of weeks now. I know this is a pretty normal occurance for preemies, but how long does it usually last? I feel so badly for him. Some feedings I swear that he's spit up everything. He'll still be puking hours after he eats! He's also been gaining very slowly (even had a loss of 3 oz in a week). If your LO had reflux, when did it start getting better?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Reflux

• My LO has this as well. They have her on Zantec and enfamil AR. I am relactating for her (in the process right now, 3 weeks in). My LO is 3 months and just got diagnosed a couple weeks ago. I hear that as they get older it gets a little better. I am not specifically sure at what age it stops. Are you breast feeding or bottle feeding?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I am breastfeeding and supplementing with Enfacare 22. My supply is terrible, though, so DS gets way more formula than BM.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I had the same issue. Ask your doc about giving baby enfamil AR. Kaydence came home on enfacare 22 as well. Breast milk really does help with the reflux, but it's hard to get them comfy. If one thing isn't working try another. I would ask your doc. I'm not sure if they are allowed that this early. My peanut is 3 months and has been on AR since 1.5 months because I was agoing back to work and not getting much of a supply at all. It's so very frustrating. I'm sure your doc already told you to keep the baby proped up. Kaydence would get SO mad when she was laying flat on her back. Try burping every ounce, keep baby propped up for a half hour after feedings with very little movement and again prop up. We have the bassinet mattress propped. You can also do that with your crib mattress. It really works wonders. she's back to being happy happy baby! =)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • My D had horrible reflux.  She was on Prevacid which helped some but she still threw up huge amounts multiple times a day.  I believe it started getting better around 7m actual, 4 adjusted.  Good luck! 
  • Both my twins had reflux.  DD's was "silent" and DS was the spit up/vomit king.  They were on both zantac and prevacid.  DD was off meds @ 13.5 mo and DS was off meds at 15.5 mo.  I would talk to dr about adding/changing meds.  I hope you both get some relief soon!
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • We had been on zantac which helped for a few months but it was always obvious when the dose needed to be adjusted and eventually it was more than the MD was comfortable with, then we tried prevacid which seemed to work some. at the same time two separate people suggested we try seeing a chiropractor. my husband's childhoood CCD teacher is a chiropractor with a lot of experience with babies. He explained it that since my LO was a c-section the spine didn't go through the compression something something of the birth canal and she has a subluxation at a certain spot that goes hand in hand with reflux. he was hopeful that she would only need a couple adjustments for it to stick, sadly we have to go back every month, but we are off all medicine!!! and it's obvious when it's time to go back in (which this time was only after 2 weeks, a herd a little pop after some swinging in the air, which may have something to do with it, i can't wait to ask). anyways, he said that as her trunk muscles get stronger her vertebrae will be held in place and she'll outgrow it. at this point for her (she's 14 months) he thinks it will be around age two, maybe 3.

obviously this isn't the cause of all reflux. apparently the stomach sphincter gets stronger around 3 months, so that's when a lot of babies improve. but, in the search for something to help i wish i had heard of this to try sooner. we ended up changing pediatricians because our former one wouldn't even consider this as an option. oh well.

good luck and congrats!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"