Two Under 2
Options

Intro and a Question

I've been lurking on this board for a couple months. Today I found out that we are expecting #2, so I hope I can join you. :)

DD is 5 months old, so she'll only be 13.5 months when she becomes a big sister. DH is a twin, and I have an adopted sister my age. Both of us loved having a sibling our age, so we are really excited to have two so close. DD will never remember being an only child, and we're hoping they will be great playmates as they age.

Here's my question. DD is still exclusively breast fed; no bottles, pumping, solid foods, nothing. (Yea, I beat statistical odds getting pregnant so soon.) I would love to hear from other moms who breastfed while pregnant. What did you find helped maintain supply? Also, I'm seriously considering tandem nursing because I'm not sure I want to wean DD at a year just in time for her to see a sibling take her place at my breast. Do you have tips for tandem nursing? (I'll ask the breastfeeding board later, but I'd rather hear tips from people who have two nurslings close in age.)

Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.

Re: Intro and a Question

• Options

Congrats! My 2 are 13.5 months apart. We absolutely love the spacing. 

Sorry, can't help with the BFing question, I wasn't able to BF.  

• Options
    I got PG when DD was 9 months old and started slowly weaning her towards the end of 1st tri because I was extremely exhausted all the time and because I knew u didn't want to tandem nurse. Our pedi gave me the best advice: drinks lots and lots and lots of water, rest as much as I could, and don't stress about what my supply would do or anything like that. And even though I started cutting back on our feeds, I know my supply would have kept up. I was able to keep at least one nursing session a day until we.completely weaned 5 months into my pregnancy. There's also a book called Adventures in Tandem Nursing that I've heard good things about you should check out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congrats!  I'm still nursing my almost 16 month old and we have a baby due in June.  I'm just approaching the 4th month, where supply is supposed to drop.  I think this may be happening already b/c DS went from nursing 5 times a day to nursing at least double that.  I don't really mind it, except for the fact that nursing has become incredibly painful lately.  I hear it's common and gets better when the milk switches to colostrum.

I have a good friend who nursed her daughter through her entire pregnancy and never had any problems with supply.  It's still supply and demand - the more you nurse the more you make, whether you are pregnant or not.  She's tandem nursing now and LOVES it.  She said her daughter strokes her baby son's head while they nurse together and she hasnt had any jealousy issues (they are 21 months apart).

I am going to get Adventures in Tandem Nursing from the library and give it a read.  I'm still on the fence about tandem nursing, but I don't want to wean my son too close to when the baby arrives, and he's really not ready right now.

Good luck!  Hope that was helpful!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you for all the ideas. I ordered Adventures in Tandem Nursing yesterday. I cannot wait for it to get here so I can dive in. It's nice to hear that some women can make nursing work through a pregnancy. I've never had supply issues, so my fingers are crossed that I can at least produce some milk until at least 7.5 months pregnant.

I look forward to learning from everyone here. :)

Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"