VBAC

Vbac 12 months after cs..

Anyone? OB is not interested in me trying to do vbac.. Instead is pushing RCS at 38 weeks due to the closeness in their births.. Just getting a feel for what others have experienced.. Had xp something similar n 2u2..
Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!

Re: Vbac 12 months after cs..

• Good luck!  I hope things can workout for you.  My OB was pretty firm about waiting at least two years after the c-section so I'm no help. 
  • I just had a vbac last week. My two are 17 months apart. Dr never once mentioned to me that it would be an issue. I would try to get a second opinion...38 wks seems really early to take a baby out for even a more serious reason.....good luck!
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • Loading the player...
  • I've seen mamas talking about having VBACs with short spacing between kids.  I think more like 18 months+ tends to be what's more often recommended, but it's definitely done.

If I were you I would research the topic and find out if risks are higher with a 12 month spacing and what those increased risks are.  I would also research having C/S 12 months apart and see what the risks are with that.  Also keep in mind it can be harder to find a VBA2C supportive provider so having a RCS could potentially impact your VBAC chances in the future if you're hoping to have more children.

Once you do your research and decide which path to take look into other providers if you're interested in a VBAC.  Just because your current provider doesn't support it doesn't mean that there are others who won't.

Also, I agree with PP, 38 weeks seems early to schedule a RCS unless you have some other complications that you didn't mention.  39 weeks is definitely the earliest I would even consider.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yes, I will definitely be discussing things with the OB in more detail in the coming months.. I don't know why he said 38w.  DS was born at 38w due to Pre-E.. but, there's no guarantee that would happen again.. Also, there are 4 other doctors in my practice.. the one I met with last time is our "least favorite" of the group.. hoping when we meet with our "preferred" doc, she'll have a better opinion on VBAC.

I'll definitely be researching things more :)  Thanks for the opinions!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

• My hospital is VERY proVBAC. It's got a 90 percent VBAC success rate. But that said, they do not recommend it with less than 15m between births.
  • To clarify, are your kids going to be 12 months apart?  My OB told me the minimum recommendation was 12 months between birth and the next pregnancy.  It was 11 months between the birth of my first and my second pregnancy and while she wasn't ruling out a VBAC, she highly encouraged me not to do one.  That pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, but my second child was born two years after my first and for that birth, my OB was then very supportive of a VBAC.  What was interesting though is my friend was seeing another OB in the same practice and he told her the new recommendation for spacing was nine months (her kids were 18 months apart). 

If you want a second opinion, you can surely see another OB.  However, based on my experience, I would make sure the other doctors in the practice and the hospital are supportive of VBACs.  Again, my OB was SUPER supportive of my pursuing a VBAC even though I actually wasn't the best candidate.  She wasn't on call the day I went into labor and the nurses I saw and the OB on call did not seem to be as supportive.  Both my husband and I felt like they had written me off as a repeat c-section and were not supportive as I went through a difficult labor.  When I told my OB my experience after my son was born, she admitted she was afraid that was going to happen!  I wish I'd asked her how supportive everyone else would be and if she had any concerns if she wasn't there.  And I wish I had had a doula to advocate for me.  I went in very confident about the care and support I'd receive based on how supportive my OB was, so I never considered a doula.  But when I was pretty much paralyzed with a long and difficult labor, (as was my husband who was just shell-shocked) I wished I'd had someone on my side.  Because I didn't feel like anyone at the hospital was on my side.

Son #1 - September '09
    Son #2 - October '11
    Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation
  • My OB is letting me try for a VBAC and my LO's will be 15-15.5 months apart. They told me after DS's birth I needed to wait until he was 6 months old to try for #2 if I wanted a VBAC  so 15 months is their limit. I haven't had any complications so far. Hopefully another doc will give you some additional info.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Thanks ladies.. I'm pretty sure we are going to have to do a RCS.  I have an ultrasound tonight and will get my due date, but I'm pretty sure they are going to be close to exactly 1 year apart.. DS was jul1512 and the new LO will probably be around 19jul13.  

A lot of what I've read says the shorter time between births, the higher the risk for complications.. At the end of the day, what matters most is a healthy Momma and A healthy baby..  

• 1 year between pregnancies is the norm at my office.  I got pregnant when DD was 9.5 months and they are fine with this.  I have 6 doctors at the practice and all seem supportive of the VBAC 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a sucessful vbac 14 months after my csection. I switched practices to find a vbac friendly one. They had no issue with the spacing and never once made me think it would be a problem. I had no complications. The dr did say they wanted 12 months in between births. You would be right on schedule for that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"