International Bumpies
Options

Anyway to avoid VAT when shipping to UK?

We got a couple of unexpected Christmas packages from family in the States this year.  While I am very grateful, we got hit with about 70 GBP worth of VAT tax.  In the future is there anyway to avoid this?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

Re: Anyway to avoid VAT when shipping to UK?

• Options
    How were they shipped?  From a website or company?  My family always sends stuff in a fed ex box from them personally with a description such as "candy, magazines, books, etc.  
  • Options
    Have them purchase from amazon.co.uk. Otherwise it's hit or miss on the vat.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always had packages come to me and marked 'Unsolicited baby gift' several times on it, and made sure the value was under $50. It always worked.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My SIL sent us a bunch of clothes for the baby and labeled it as 'used baby clothes'. No vat. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! The packages were from my grandparents and some of my aunts and uncles.  I will let them know next time we are back in the States what do in the future.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"