VBAC
Options

is there any truth to this?

i had my first ob appt today. my ob immediately wanted to talk delivery as dd was a csection. she knows i want a vbac. she told me they are trying to take vbacs away, that insurance companies are going to quit covering them. she said those types of decisions usually take effect january 1 and she hasnt heard anything for sure so we should be ok. any insight?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: is there any truth to this?

• Options

No. 

If you want peace of mind, call your insurance company.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

I doubt it. My insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield's personnel actually sounded pretty happy I was trying to have a VBAC. It's usually thousands cheaper for their insured moms to have a VBACs than a Csection.

Now, I just have to go into labor to get my VBAC. Fingers crossed it happens this week!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No. Mega side eye. Pretty sure VBACs are becoming more common than they have been in previous years.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageskio:
    No. Mega side eye. Pretty sure VBACs are becoming more common than they have been in previous years.

This- also agree with pp that said VBACs are cheaper for the insurance companies.  I paid the same out of pocket for both births but my c/s was over $40,000 and my VBAC was $9,000.  Pretty sure insurance companies prefer to pay less.

When people say some insurance companies push for c/s's they are referring to the malpractice insurance on the doctors.  Regardless of outcome, people are more likely to sue if something goes wrong during a vaginal birth than a surgical one (presumably because people believe that since surgery was being done, they pulled out all the stops for the birth- not realizing that sometimes the surgery itself causes the death).  Was your doctor referring to her own insurance?  Or is she just blowing smoke?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    imageskio:
    this. My hospital charges way more for a CS than a vaginal birth and they don't charge like vaginal PLUS CS if you end up with an ECS.

I'd switch OBs. It doesn't sound like she's on board. My OB asked me what my preference was and I said VBAC and from that day on his mantra was always there's no reason why you cannot have a VBAC.

Also, I'd want my provider to be more concerned about what is best for MY health, not that of my insurance company.
  • Options

Who is "they?"  Your individual insurance company?  The government?

There are some hospitals and doctors that will not do VBAC because of malpractice concerns, but I've never heard of a health insurance policy not allowing VBACs.  And VBAC is legal in every state.  There is no large, nationwide health insurance company plan to stop covering VBAC.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    thank you ladies- ill be doing some calling and figure out whats going on. i know my hospital will allow the vbac and i know from talking with some of the nurses that my ob is my best shot in the area for getting it. also- we discussed a vbac before i ever even left the hospital with my daughter 2 years ago.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just had my first OB visit and my nurse was talking delivery.  She said that if I wanted to do another C-section I could at 39 weeks. However, if I want a VBAC I can do that, but they cannot induce me until 41 weeks due to insurance companies.  She never said that insurance wouldn't cover a VBAC.  I just think it has to do with induction.  I would contact your insurance company for specifics!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"