3rd Trimester
Options

Big baby...not talking induction yet...relieved but nervous!

I have GD so I knew there was a chance baby would get bigger. She was still average until today when they said she appears to be around 7 lb. and average would be about 6 lb. right now (I'm 35.5 weeks).

I honestly thought they'd start talking induction since they gain so quickly in the last month. I was relieved that he didn't even say the word, but at the same time a little nervous because my next growth ultrasound isn't until 38.5 weeks and he said that was fine, I didn't need one sooner. I asked multiple times and he said that would be ok.  I am hoping to avoid induction but it seems like she could get pretty big by my due date!  He said if they get to 4500 grams (about 10 lb.) it's an automatic c/s...I can't imagine she'd get that big, though.

Is anyone else measuring ahead now? Are your Drs. talking about induction or just seeing how it goes?

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: Big baby...not talking induction yet...relieved but nervous!

• Options
    Try to relax as best as possible (easier said than done), and remember growth u/s can be off as much as 2lbs. By this time two years ago I was in the same boat, but they were telling me my son was off the charts and upwards of 13lbs (no GD). He was born via c-section at 39 weeks and weighed 9lbs 15oz, I would have liked to try pushing. DD was a few days late and 8lbs 14oz, easy vaginal birth. The doctors will watch out for you, just try to trust them! GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagesaturdaynightdoubletree:
    Try to relax as best as possible (easier said than done), and remember growth u/s can be off as much as 2lbs. By this time two years ago I was in the same boat, but they were telling me my son was off the charts and upwards of 13lbs (no GD). He was born via c-section at 39 weeks and weighed 9lbs 15oz, I would have liked to try pushing. DD was a few days late and 8lbs 14oz, easy vaginal birth. The doctors will watch out for you, just try to trust them! GL!

This happened to my SIL, too.  She didn't have c/s, but was induced early because "he was already 10 lbs"-- he was 7.15 

m/c 12/20/09 @ 5 1/2 weeks ~ CP 1/25/09 @ 4 weeks ~ missed m/c 4/6/10 (stopped growing @ 6 weeks, stayed with me until 10) ~Foster parent to B, 9/10-1/12~ Proud Mother of Gage Stephen, born 12/26/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you know that growth ultrasound measurements are merely estimates, they're usually off by a pound or more! GD puts you at risk for a LGA (large for gestational age) baby, but it's not a guarantee that LO will be big. I know they say 37 weeks is full-term, but a baby isn't fully developed until at least 39 weeks so an induction isn't normally done any earlier than that unless there was a potentially life-threatening issue. Having a big baby may sound scary, but try not to stress so much about it as it doesn't make vaginal birth out of the question. I know several women who've vaginally delivered 10+ pound babies (one was a homebirth)! My cousin's OB made her have a c/s based on an US measurement of 10lb 10oz and although large, her DD came out more than a pound smaller than that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow, I can't believe they were so far off on the estimate!  DH had said to me "well, if she got to be 10 lbs. you'd want a c/s anyway" I said "Eh, nope, I'd want to push!"

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    imageAimeeL85:

Wow, I can't believe they were so far off on the estimate!  DH had said to me "well, if she got to be 10 lbs. you'd want a c/s anyway" I said "Eh, nope, I'd want to push!"

Yea. Looking back on it I wish I was stronger and smarter, but you live and learn. We had just moved from MA to TX and I was 7 months pregnant in a new place with a new doctor, so I just followed along with the suggestions. Of course they scared the crap out of me by 36 weeks, but wouldn't deliver until 39 weeks luckily because insurance won't cover induction/csection merely for size anymore because the science is so off.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just found out I have GD. Baby's been measuring a week or so ahead the whole pregnancy. I keep worrying about a 9 or 10 pounder. Glad to know some stay natural. That's always been my hope.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am measuring 2 weeks ahead but my doctor said it could just be the way she's laying.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The growth u/s is just a guess.  They can be off by more than a pound either way.  I'm glad they are following your babe's progress, but be an advocate for yourself & your baby.  Do some research & ask questions.  GL to you!
  • Options

I too have GD and let my OB know right off that she'd have a hard time getting me to consent to induction or C/S. I've been doing my research over the past few weeks, especially after baby measured big at the 30 week u/s. Here's a link to bring to your OB, ACOG does not recommend induction for macrosomia, as it doesn't improve mother or baby outcomes. (https://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0701/p169.html) 

C/S isn't recommended unless baby is estimated at 10 pounds or greater. And even then I would push for a trial of labor b/c estimates can be 10-15% off as you're seeing from all the posts!

I've made it clear to my OB that as long as I'm ok and baby is ok that she's gonna have to have hard facts and evidence-based practice to convince me to induce or go for the C/S... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"