Successful VBA2C! (LONG!!) — The Bump

Successful VBA2C! (LONG!!)

In May of 2007 I was induced with my first child, with my body & baby not being ready to deliver there were complications (her heart rate dropped) and I ended up with an emergency Csection. A year or so later I ended up pregnant with another little girl, whom I gave up for adoption (that's another story all on it's own), and I had a scheduled Csection in January of 2009.

So 3-4 years later when my husband & I decided we wanted a child, I decided I wanted a vaginal birth. There are 3 hospitals in the area I live in & only 1 preforms VBACs. Unfortunately, none of these hospitals were really an option for me as I had never delivered vaginally & have had 2 csection, and the other two don't support them. Had I known 3 years ago, with my 2nd, I would have fought for a VBAC then.

I then looked into midwifery, but once again, my insurance wouldn't cover it.

My OB (whom had been my OB since Baby #1) didn't support me.

I called numerous OB's trying to find someone who would support me through but was shot down at almost every turn.

I had awesome support from my husband & my family though. They believed in me, and they wanted to see me happy. And I knew I didn't want to be cut open again. So I didn't give up.

I told my OB my decision, I was going to deny my csection. The hospital could not force me to have surgery. Despite his colleges telling him to discharge me as a patient, my OB stood by me, and made appointments for me to speak with many different doctors about my risks. I also did tons of research about VBACs and everything I found made me more comfortable with my decision.

The only catch was that my body had to do it. I could not have pitocin or anything to induce, which was fine by me since I blamed the pitocin for my first child.

At 37 weeks I was almost 1 cm and Dr tried to strip membranes. I continued drinking red raspberry leaf tea & taking evening primrose orally & vaginally.

At 38 weeks I was a small 2 cm and Dr stretched my cervix & I continued with the tea & primrose, also did some pumping, walking, sex, bouncing on my birth ball. I lost my mucus plug the next day.

At 39 weeks I was still at a 2, just more open and Dr was able to strip me. I continued with everything I had been doing, but decided to quit pumping. I didnt really like the contractions I got from them as they wernt real, just annoying. The night before my due date my husband & I had sex & did the primrose. The next morning I started losing my mucus plug again. Throughout the whole day I was having contrations 10 mins apart. Around 6-7pm that night they came closer together and were about 7 mins apart. Around 9 pm they really started to get painful so I woke my husband ( he works graveyard) and we called my mom & decided to head over to her house with our 5 yr old.

I then kinda started freaking out, because, to be honest, even though this is what I wanted I was super terrified. What if I failed? What if I couldn't do it? What if the worst happened?? So pulling up to my moms I was balling & the contractions were hurting. But, my mom had no problem snapping me back in place while my husband put our daughter back to bed. She got me a glass of wine & we sat and talked between them, and then she helped me breathe through them. We went on a few walks, got in the bath tub, walked more, and once they were 2-3 minutes apart and lasting about 1 min & 20 seconds we knew it was gonna happen. Around 1am we climbed into her bed and tried to get rest while we could. But about 3 am I really couldn't take it anymore, I wanted to know if I had dilated any, I needed to know what was going on with my body. My husband called our Doula & we piled in my moms car & went to the hospital.

Finally there & checked in & in a room my nurse checked me. I was STILL 2 cm! I cried. I was so upset with my body, to be putting me through all this with no change. My mom once again got me under control. I HAD to keep control, or they would have told me I needed a csections, baby would get in distress, whatever, anything to keep me from a VBAC. We continued to labor on, in the shower, in different positions, my husband rubbed my back, my doula talked me through them, my mom held my hand. The next time I was checked I had progressed to 3-4 cm. I wish I could tell you the time, but after we got the hospital the contractions were so intense I lost track. I did however recieve a pain reliver in my IV, fretenol I believe, or something that sounds like that.. It helped a little for the first 45 mins or so, but not too much, enough to relax me and give me motivation to move around like I needed to as baby was in a -2 station.

Around noon I was checked again and had reached a 5 cm. And I chose to give into the epidural. Prior I really didn't want too.. I didn't want anything to stop this, and if anything was to go wrong, I wouldn't be able to feel it. But it was getting so much harder to stay in control & focus through the pain. By 1:30pm I finally recieved relief from the contractions. I took an hour to rest and then spent time on my knees swaying back & forth trying to drop baby lower. Soon after I had my bloody show, and it seemed things flew by from there. Soon I was at an 8 and the on call Dr came in & broke my waters (that was one of the downfalls with not having a dr to support me, I had no idea who was going to deliver my baby, I got lucky though and it was my OBs partner, so I knew her & she knew my plan).

My nurse had talked to me about letting the pushing part last as long as I could before I started pushing, something I guess they do with first time moms. I told them when I felt like I needed to poop (amazingly, I could still feel down there with the epidural, very thankful for that) It was about 5 pm when they checked me and I was at a 10 & baby was ready! I pushed for about an hour and at 6:08 pm on November 29th I had a beautiful messy baby on my tummy, still connected to me :)

I am so thankful God granted me this expirence. I got everything I wanted in a delivery, and I wouldn't change a thing.

To you moms wanting a VBAC & recieving no support, don't give up, you know your body best. Just educate yourself & believe in yourself :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Successful VBA2C! (LONG!!)

  • Thank you for sharing this. I admire your courage not only for fighting for the birth you want but also for giving your second child up for adoption. I know I wouldn't have the courage to ever do that. I am however fighting for a VBAC and thankfully my OB supports me 100 percent.
  • Wow! What an encouraging story! Congratulations on your baby and VBAC!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This is a great story!  Thanks for sharing and congrats to you!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • WOW! What a story! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAngelzkisses:
    Thank you for sharing this. I admire your courage not only for fighting for the birth you want but also for giving your second child up for adoption. I know I wouldn't have the courage to ever do that. I am however fighting for a VBAC and thankfully my OB supports me 100 percent.

    This!  Thank you for sharing your story.

    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards