Military Families
Options

Delivering at Onslow

I know they have upgraded private rooms at Onslow, I know that tricare does not cover it. Does anyone know how I would go about getting it, and using private pay to cover the overage in the charge? From what I'm hearing on other message boards and friends is that I MIGHT get stuck sharing a recovery room and would like to avoid that at all costs.

Also, does Onslow let you keep your baby in the room the whole time? I don't want him going to the nursery at all, I'm afraid that will give him a bottle and I dont want him to get the hospital issued pacifiers and I know people who have delivered there, expressed thier wishes and they still didnt comply. I have no choice but to deliver there, and just trying to be as in control as I can.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Delivering at Onslow

• Options
    Is there an option to get a hospital tour?  I want to take one of Onslow since we just found out we're prego two days ago.  That would be a great time to ask if you can.  Hopefully someone can speak to this because in no way do I want to share a room nor do I want my baby taken to the nursery for the same reasons as you.  I bet it's like that though because there are just sooo many people living here and having babies.  I have heard of people that go all the way to Wilmington to deliver for obvious reasons....but I am not sure that is an option for us just because I went so quick last time.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagearcook0307:
    Is there an option to get a hospital tour?  I want to take one of Onslow since we just found out we're prego two days ago.  That would be a great time to ask if you can.  Hopefully someone can speak to this because in no way do I want to share a room nor do I want my baby taken to the nursery for the same reasons as you.  I bet it's like that though because there are just sooo many people living here and having babies.  I have heard of people that go all the way to Wilmington to deliver for obvious reasons....but I am not sure that is an option for us just because I went so quick last time.  
    I've been calling the phone number to book my classes and hospital tour for WEEKS with no response! I'm really not impressed with the way they handle things over there. When I was there for a preterm labor scare, I had a great nurse, and a good doctor and all that was fine and well, but as for their procedures and office services (calling, scheduling, asking questions and getting answers. things like that) they are definately lacking. It's so frusterating b/c I have Prime and I have to deliver there, so I have to make the best of it and just try to control everything I can to ensure I'm getting the care I need, its just hard when no information is given and calls go unanswered and messages dont get recieved. I'm not trying to sound "snoody" (as my MIL called it) I just used to work in a medical facility and know how things should be done and people should be treated! This is just frusterating. I also went 10 weeks without OB care due to them canceling and rescheduling 4 times. So to say I'm at my end is an undestatement. I'm sorry, I'm ranting, just need to get it off my chest! haha Congrats btw, and Happy thanksgiving!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well I will also say this.  I had a doula at my last birth.  Depending on the individual doula, she will sometimes be a voice for you when hospital staff try to make you fit the mold/go the path of least resistance for them.  If you have a specific birth plan, they will be your advocate.  I don't know if this would help you get the room you want but it may help in other areas.  They can't take your baby to the nursery unless you let them (other than clean up I guess) and my husband went with DD for that.  I do remember them giving her a paci (a Nuk) and they swore it didn't cause nipple confusion....and it didn't for my DD but it may for some.  If you don't mind me asking, what doctor's office do you go to?  I am supposed to go to the one over by the hospital that has doctors and midwives on staff.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagearcook0307:
    Well I will also say this.  I had a doula at my last birth.  Depending on the individual doula, she will sometimes be a voice for you when hospital staff try to make you fit the mold/go the path of least resistance for them.  If you have a specific birth plan, they will be your advocate.  I don't know if this would help you get the room you want but it may help in other areas.  They can't take your baby to the nursery unless you let them (other than clean up I guess) and my husband went with DD for that.  I do remember them giving her a paci (a Nuk) and they swore it didn't cause nipple confusion....and it didn't for my DD but it may for some.  If you don't mind me asking, what doctor's office do you go to?  I am supposed to go to the one over by the hospital that has doctors and midwives on staff.

Hmmm, I may look into the doula thing, never even thought of it, thanks. And I am seen at Woman's Health Assoc. its like right across from the hospital.

• Options

imagePatsyGK21:
    imagearcook0307:
    I've been calling the phone number to book my classes and hospital tour for WEEKS with no response! I'm really not impressed with the way they handle things over there. When I was there for a preterm labor scare, I had a great nurse, and a good doctor and all that was fine and well, but as for their procedures and office services (calling, scheduling, asking questions and getting answers. things like that) they are definately lacking. It's so frusterating b/c I have Prime and I have to deliver there, so I have to make the best of it and just try to control everything I can to ensure I'm getting the care I need, its just hard when no information is given and calls go unanswered and messages dont get recieved. I'm not trying to sound "snoody" (as my MIL called it) I just used to work in a medical facility and know how things should be done and people should be treated! This is just frusterating. I also went 10 weeks without OB care due to them canceling and rescheduling 4 times. So to say I'm at my end is an undestatement. I'm sorry, I'm ranting, just need to get it off my chest! haha Congrats btw, and Happy thanksgiving!

You are still eligible to take any classes you want through Naval, even if you aren't delivering there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I've heard the exact same thing, that I'll get stuck sharing a room with someone else. I am being seen at the Crist Women's Clinic.. and they have been great so far! But I've done nothing yet with the hospital, so I'm nervous about how everything will go there. Let me know if you get any more info! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I delivered there in May and was in a private room. Tricare covered it and I didn't have to do anything to "reserve" that kind of room.

Your baby will have to go to the nursery shortly after delivery because they don't have all the equipment they need for weights and measurement in the rooms. However, one person is allowed to go with your baby and stay there the whole time. If you want your LO to sleep in your room with you they will.

I wouldn't worry about them pushing a bottle over there. They are very supportive of breast feeding and never once even tried to push a bottle for my LO.

If you have any questions you can PM me.
  • Options

imagechloebeth930:
    I delivered there in May and was in a private room. Tricare covered it and I didn't have to do anything to "reserve" that kind of room. Your baby will have to go to the nursery shortly after delivery because they don't have all the equipment they need for weights and measurement in the rooms. However, one person is allowed to go with your baby and stay there the whole time. If you want your LO to sleep in your room with you they will. I wouldn't worry about them pushing a bottle over there. They are very supportive of breast feeding and never once even tried to push a bottle for my LO. If you have any questions you can PM me.

Thanks for the info!! :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"