C-sections
Options

Calm me down. Re: 2nd c-section...

Warning: long, graphic..

I had an emergency c-section with my LO 19 months ago. It was obviously not what I wanted, but it was needed and she was born perfect and healthy so i was happy.

My problems started once I got home from the hospital. I started to feel sick/feverish and my incision was very hot. So hot i would put an ice pack on it and the ice pack would actually become hot to the touch in just a few minutes time. In my first time mom stupor i shrugged it off until it became a major problem. I ended up being rushed to the hospital from my OB's office 10 days post CS. I was hospitalized for 4 days and had to be put under general anesthesia to have my CS site cleaned and a drain placed. I had home nurses and hospital rechecks for 2 weeks after that.

My point is, DH and I really want another LO, but i am terrified of going through what i went through before. I know it could have been way worse, but I'm still so nervous. I don't know what to do or who to talk to about this. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Calm me down. Re: 2nd c-section...

• Options
    Wanted to add that a VBAC is not really an option for me.
  • Options

My first C-section was not planned either.  My recovery was ok but painful, I did have itching and redness at incision site.  I had nothing close to what you had though. However, I did just have a RCS and this 2nd time around it was so smooth.  No problems with anything and overall a great experience.  I had no redness or itching at incision site this time and the pain was pretty mild after the first couple of days.  If I can convince my husband to have another child I would do this again in an heartbeat.  

You also have to remember that you know what signs to watch out for now and you would not go so far without having it checked out.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience the first time around! I can't imagine how horrible that must have been, especially with a newborn.

That said, I can understand your worry, but I really don't think it would be as bad the second time around at all. Since VBAC isn't an option for you, I'm guessing you'd have a scheduled c-section. From what I've heard those go MUCH smoother than emergency c-sections.

Also, with this being your second time, if something were to go bad with the healing, you know what to be on the look out for, and so can get treatment or help with it before it gets to level where you need hospitalization.

I hope this helped ease your mind some and good luck!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Infection can happen with anything. Just because you had an infection the first time, doesn't mean you will the second time. I'm assuming infection by the description.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I completely understand where your coming from. My first was an emerg and I ended up with vertical tears and excessive bleeding. Recovery wasn't great. I'm nervous this time around (11 days to go) but tell myself it can't be much worse. I've also talked to my midwife and OB about my fears as well. They explained that my situation was not normal and this time should be easier as it is planned and we don't have to deal with the problems from going through labor.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My recovery wasn't near as bad as yours, but was still very rough and required a lot of wound care. For that and many other reasons, DH and I are one and done.
  • Options
    My recovery was not nearly as hard as yours, but mine was after 30 hours of labor and I have the EXACT same reservations as you do.  I am glad you asked the question.  As of now, I feel I am "one and done" from the whole experience.

• Options

Thank you so much for your replies! Smile

I know we will bite the bullet and stop bcp soon. As scared as I am, i want another LO more.

For those that said you are one and done thanks to your c-section. I felt that exact same way for a very long time. It wasn't until very recently that i got the baby bug again. I don't blame you at all! 

• Options

While it was a scary experience, at least next time you will know the signs/symptoms and will be able to get some antibiotics going right away, before it ever gets that far.  You should also discuss this with your OB, because maybe they will prescribe you some antibiotics just in case to prevent it from happening again.

Honestly, though, I think that the chances of you having an infection with both c-sections would be pretty slim, since most c-sections do not end up infected.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options

My 1st c-section was awful...

16 hour labor, pushed 1.5 hours, episiotomy, failed forceps attempt then c-section under general.  I also got an infection 10 days pp which needed to be opened and drained.  HORRIBLE.

I wanted to VBAC this one soooo bad.  However, it turned out just not to be in the cards.  The c-section I had with #2 was completely different.  I felt fine the entire time (not drugged).  It only lasted about 30 minutes and I got to watch my baby being born.  (I was unconcious and DH wasn't allowed in the room when #1 was born).  I held him within 10 minutes of his birth and BFed him within 25 minutes.  My pain was managed much better this time around and no infection!

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.  I wanted that VBAC, but in the end, having a repeat c-section was the only way I could promise myself things would be different this time around.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I just had C-section #2 on Friday.  I know everyone's experience is different, but my recovery the 2nd time around has been a breeze.  I'm already walking upright, I've pooped, and I'm not TOO terribly sore- less sore than I was the first time around.  I had a different dr. this time, so maybe different drs. do them differently?  Not sure.  Anyway- just wanted you to know that your 2nd experience may be totally different than the first.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"