Infertility

Meds

OMG!!! Found out today that my out of pocket cost for my IVF meds will be $5,756  Whats normal for others that have to pay oop?  They told me the follistim on its own is 3,500! Still in shock I was expecting about $3,000 total.  Baseline ultrasound and bloodwork tomorrow.  Prayers please-this will be our only shot, we wont be able to afford another round :(  And to top it off my husbands insurance rep says "well don't you already have a child?"  My husband has a child from his previous marriage-I love him as though he were my own-but I still want to have a child-in addition that is really none of her f%*^ing buisness.  What a day! Thinking about all of my other IVF and FET buddies-wishing everyone the best of luck. Goodnight!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Meds

• We're fortunate that a large chuunk of our meds were covered by insurance (since we hit our very high deductible early in the year). When meds were delievered they came with a receipt that showed retail price without insurance and it was somewhere in the $5k range.

ETA: There are various places to go and find some meds cheaper. My brain is mush right now and I can't think of any of the sites but they're out there. I have a friend who ordered from Europe and was able to save quite a bit on injectibles. Might be worth the investigation.

Unmedicated and medicated IUI's: all fail
    IVF #1: Dec 2012 16m/15f 12/9: 5dt of 2 beautiful blasts and 5 frosties
    TWINS!
    15w4d:baby a-pProm
    March 25: 18w...2 baby boys born sleeping
    July 29: FET-BFN

Sept: TAC placed

Oct 27: FET #2-Cancelled-monster cyst producing insane amounts of estrogen

Nov 13: FET #2-take 2
    imageimage

• Mine was about $4k for 10 vials of Menopur (was told I'd need 8, had to buy in groups of 5 and only used 4) and 1800 units of Gonal-F, plus the Lupron, dexamethasone, 4 progesterone vials, e2v/progesterone supps and the hCG trigger.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • My initial order for IVF was 6k then a week later I had to refill my injectables for another 4k. Yes I am 100 percent out of pocket.
  • Wow! My total was right around the $3,000-$3,100 mark for all my meds for the entire cycle. My order of Follistim consisted of 5 boxes of 600 unit vials and I have been told that it will get me through to ER.

What sort of protocol are you on? Who are you going through to get your meds? 

Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think Walgreens has a program my clinic signed me up for which knocked down my donor's meds from $5k to around $3K (I'm using an egg donor and had to pay for her meds out of pocket). Different pharmacies have different prices too...one had Follistim at $4k the other was less than $3. Shop around, it made a difference.
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• I'm in denial about how much the drugs cost. We had to buy more menopur. We needed 12, but had to buy 15 as they come in boxes of 5. 1,700!!!!!! The best part? We only used 4 of them. I triggered after using the 4.

And how completely inappropriate of that insurance rep! Some people!!!
  • We have the most awful insurance when it comes to routine things but for some reason, and I'm ever so grateful, the IF coverage is awesome. We meet the deductible and then pay 80% with a $1,000 max out of pocket. Well.....the deductible AND the max OOP were both met last year in March after my first shipment of Menopur. My last box of IVF meds, the delivery service told me its so important to be home because there were $7800 worth of medications in there....HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER!!!! Plus, the new meds I'm going to be adding in this cycle cost $3800 alone!!! WTF!!! Why are these things so expensive, its crazy!!!

What a jerk for that insurance rep to say something like that to you too....some people are real a**hats

Good luck with your cycle!!

Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

• I'm not sure if there is a savings program for follistim, but I know that there is one for Gonal-F for both people who have insurance and people who are OOP.

https://www.fertilitylifelines.com/payingfortreatment/selfpaysavings.jsp

It would require asking your doctor if you can switch, but it might be worth it to ask? 

Dx PCOS 2006 - on Metformin
    Dx Hypothyroid 2009 - on Synthroid
    TTC since 12/2009
    DH - Low Sperm Count

IVF with ICSI Cycle #1 - October/November- 10/11 Begin Lupron, 10/20 Begin 300iu Gonal-F, Trigger 10/31, ER 11/2, 12 retrieved, 11 mature, 6 fertilized, ET 11/5 - 2 Grade 1 8 cells, 2 frozen blasts (5BA, 3BB), Beta #1 @ 8dp3dt: 7, Beta #2 @ 11dp3dt: 2 :(

IVF with ICSI Cycle #2 - January - 12/30 Begin Lupron, 1/8 Begin 300iu Gonal-F, ER 1/20, 13 retrieved, 11 mature, 6 fertilized, ET 1/25 - 2 blasts (grades 4BA, 1)

Everyone Welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There was someone who posted on here awhile ago the different med prices at different pharmacies for comparison. I will try and find it for you. I don't know why there is such a difference from one place to the next?
    TTC since 2006 3 Fertility Clinics Test, Pills & Injectables....oh my. Numerous failed IUI's 7 or 8 or more? IVF #1 June 2012 ~ praying this is the only one ER 6/13/12 - 13 ret, 7 fertilized, 7 progressing, ET 6/15/12, BFN & No freeze babies. Onto IVF #2 in October 2012. No, wait, body not cooperating. IVF #2 in November 2012 IVF #2 Began Provera in Sept to make me start. Never started. I O'd on my own??? 2 weeks of BCPs. Period. Baseline & Labs 10/25 Stims started 10/26 ~ 225 Follistim in the am. 150 Bravelle & 5 Lupron in pm. Trigger 11/4, ER 11/6, ET 11/9 - 2 great embies. 3 Freezebabies. Beta 11/23/2012 BFN. Now what??? I don't know if I can keep going? Daisypath Anniversary tickers I know the Lord would put a strong desire in my heart if it wasn't meant to be. - Isaiah 41:10
  • imageTrixieGirl82:
    OMG!!! Found out today that my out of pocket cost for my IVF meds will be $5,756  Whats normal for others that have to pay oop?  They told me the follistim on its own is 3,500! Still in shock I was expecting about $3,000 total.  Baseline ultrasound and bloodwork tomorrow.  Prayers please-this will be our only shot, we wont be able to afford another round :(  And to top it off my husbands insurance rep says "well don't you already have a child?"  My husband has a child from his previous marriage-I love him as though he were my own-but I still want to have a child-in addition that is really none of her f%*^ing buisness.  What a day! Thinking about all of my other IVF and FET buddies-wishing everyone the best of luck. Goodnight!

Wow, how insensitive of that rep to say something like that! Seriously..so rude. Good luck with everything!

• imagelisa41982:

I'm not sure if there is a savings program for follistim, but I know that there is one for Gonal-F for both people who have insurance and people who are OOP.

https://www.fertilitylifelines.com/payingfortreatment/selfpaysavings.jsp

It would require asking your doctor if you can switch, but it might be worth it to ask? 

This - I know Gonal-F is generally cheaper than Follistim. On Free.dom.Fer.tility pharmacy the Gonal-F for 900iu is $836 and for Follistim it's closer to $1300, so big price difference when OOP. Ask your RE if you can switch. 

Oct 13 April Siggy: Bunnies
    The 33 Most Important Bunny GIFs On The Internet

DS born on 9/30/13 from IVF #1.2!
      Lilypie - (xNS5)
  • I hope it's okay that I post here, but I just thought I'd share my med prices. 

I went through Wal.greens Specialty, which cost an extra few bucks to enroll in their discount program... 
    I paid:
    $169 for Lupron 
    $762 for a 900 iu vial of Follistim (was told I'd need a refill but I didn't)
    $624 for 8 vials of Menopur (I already had a few)
    $60 for HCG trigger 
    $10 (copay) for PIO

Wal.greens is the cheapest for Follistim, at least when I was looking in Sept/Oct 

Good luck! 

• We have a $2500 lifetime max on infertility drugs and ended up paying another $2500 out of pocket (and I don't have my PIO yet, either!) for our first round.  So it was right around $5000.  But I think part of the problem was that the insurance specialty pharmacy charged us more than another one would for the OOP stuff - if we have to do a second round we'll be completely OOP for meds by then, so we're definitely going to look elsewhere.

• My nurse thought I had prescription coverage when she ordered my meds for my first cycle, which came to somewhere around $8,700 from Cigna. Indifferent When I told her we were OOP, she called my prescriptions into Free.dom Fert Ph.armacy and they signed me up for whatever rebate programs they had.  (Small in comparison to the meds, but every bit helps.)  I was also able to order meds as I needed them.  I ordered enough for 8 days of stims and then went from there ordering meds a couple more times later in the cycle.  They have free overnight shipping--only tricky part is Fed Ex doesn't deliver on Sundays, so I had to factor that in. (I also live in an area where there are a few Specialty Pharmacies where I could pick up meds in an emergency--they'd just cost more than Freedom.) Cycle one I ended up with 4 vials of Menopur leftover--not bad.

Not sure how Follistim works, but Gonal-F contains overfill.  My nurse ordered the smaller dosage vials, as they contain a larger proportion of overfill compared to the larger dosage vials. Here is about what I remember:

Gonal-F prefilled 300 iu pen contains 75-85ius overfill--use a needle and McGuyver that liquid gold outta there!

Gonal-F 450 multidose vial contains about 600 ius, so 150 ius overfill

Gonal-F 1050 multidose vial contains about 1200 ius, so 150 ius overfill (thus the 450 vials are more economical, because you'll get more overfill out of them)

TTC since 10/2010
    IUIs # 1-5 = BFFN
    IVF # 1(July 2012) = BFN
    IVF # 2 (November 2012) = BFP (MIssed MC D&C @ 8w3d on 1/10/13)
    IVF # 3 (June 2013) = BFN 
    IVF # 4 (September 2013) = BFP Fraternal twin boys! (Loss at 21w6d due to IC on 1/26/14...devastated.)
    3/21/14--TAC (transabdominal cerclage) w/Dr. Davis in NJ
    IVF # 5 (May 2014) = BFN
    FET (August 2014) = BFN

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • My first ivf my meds were close to the 8k range.  They stimmed me with the max amount of meds from the get-go. One thing that would have saved us tons of money was that the nurse had me order eveything in advance of starting the ivf.  We went straight to IVF so I just didn't know any better.     Don't order everything to start with.  Most pharmacy's overnight meds and your'll be able to gage a little bit as you go along on what you will need.

For instance my nurse had me order 8 bottles of PIO.  We never made it transfer.  I've been to three RE since and no other RE that I worked with uses PIO.  Just a huge waste of money.  

TTC #1 since 9/07
    Dx MFI, AMA, Endo, AMH .16
    Lap 10/09 Removed endometrioma, stage IV endo and adhesions
    Lap 2/10 Endometrioma cysts & adhesions returned.
    Ivf #1 4/10 Antagonist, ET Cancelled.
    IVF #2 2/11 A/ACP+E2V C/P
    IVF #3 6/11 Letrozole/Antagonist BFN
    IVF #4 11/11 Low stim Antagonist BFN
    Lap 3/12 Lap & Selective HSG
    Many cycles of Letrozole and LP HCG w/TI and LDN
    IVF #5 8/12 Low stim BFN
    IUI #1 10/12 BFN br> S&PAIFW
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"